NRL/Australia

meast

Probably one for the mods I know but no harm in discussing it.

I know there's quite a few users based down under but it's mainly (in my eyes) a UK based forum. 

But how come there's so many topics about the NRL and Australian/antipodean RL on the General forum when there's a sub forum for Australian RL?

club specific topics are moved to club specific forums so why not Australian?

There seems to be lots of interest in the Australian game judging by the amount of topics popping up.

I personally don't follow NRL or the Aussie game and wouldn't read any topics on the Australian forum, just find it bizarre that there's so many posts on a subject that has it's own sub forum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, meast said:

I know there's quite a few users based down under but it's mainly (in my eyes) a UK based forum. 

But how come there's so many topics about the NRL and Australian/antipodean RL on the General forum when there's a sub forum for Australian RL?

There seems to be lots of interest in the Australian game judging by the amount of topics popping up.

I personally don't follow NRL or the Aussie game and wouldn't read any topics on the Australian forum, just find it bizarre that there's so many posts on a subject that has it's own sub forum.

I do kind of feel like you're answering your own question. It's clearly very popular and in many ways intrinsically linked to RL in this country. The sub-forum in my experience covers the sport a bit more club-specific, but in my opinion, the NRL certainly has a place in the General Rugby League Forum - it's not called the British RL forum. I hope the irony isn't lost that you've just started another one btw 😅

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Most users post anything RL-related in the general forum. If you want engagement, you post it here, as a lot of people never even bother to look at the other sections of this site.

There are match threads for every single NRL/Origin round in the Australian RL Forum, but as soon as there's a big game (GF, Origin), the subject always gets duplicated on the main forum and the discourse is diluted and scattered.

Lazy, incurious thinking, I guess.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, meast said:

I think you`ll find that most or at least many of the posters on here are of a vintage that makes them Rugby League fans first, perhaps specific competitions fans second. What discussing the NRL offers die-hard League fans is the one true shining light where the game does appear to be prospering, and fans want to share that good news, hence the continual references on the General Rugby League Forum.

• Like 6

I am interested in what is going on down there and the links with our game plus the general development of the sport are there.

I don’t follow the NRL as closely as others but am interested in the opinions of others with greater knowledge levels about it.

I think there should be a space where rugby league fans of all countries can talk about the game.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I am interested in what is going on down there and the links with our game plus the general development of the sport are there.

I don’t follow the NRL as closely as others but am interested in the opinions of others with greater knowledge levels about it.

I think there should be a space where rugby league fans of all countries can talk about the game.

Indeed. I think many people on here are RL fans first and foremost and this forum is all the better for it. If every aspect of RL was segmented as the OP seems to wish then this forum would be pretty poor and you may as well use RLFans (not that I've looked at that for years mind you). I like reading about developments in the NRL, PNG or wherever and I also like reading about stadium developments at Wakefield or a new rebrand for Leigh. I am not going to look at 50 sub forums for all that and I very much doubt anyone else will either.

If a topic obviously doesn't appeal then don't open it and don't comment. No one forces you too.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Thanks for raising such an important issue.  Im sure im not the only one thats been losing sleep over this. Its  one of the most pressing global issue at the minute. With out a doubt it will be causing anxiety for so many forum users

No one made you read it.

Ignore it, no need to be a total ar$e about it.

Sleep well.

Edited by meast

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed. I think many people on here are RL fans first and foremost and this forum is all the better for it. If every aspect of RL was segmented as the OP seems to wish then this forum would be pretty poor and you may as well use RLFans (not that I've looked at that for years mind you). I like reading about developments in the NRL, PNG or wherever and I also like reading about stadium developments at Wakefield or a new rebrand for Leigh. I am not going to look at 50 sub forums for all that and I very much doubt anyone else will either.

If a topic obviously doesn't appeal then don't open it and don't comment. No one forces you too.

Agreed.

I tend to agree that the NRL specific topics should be in the Australian RL forum... but probably during the season as off season there is less to chat about.

Graham does a great job of administration over there with the game day threads and the tipping comp so it would be a shame if things move too much over to the General forum.

I find it particularly frustrating when there is a big match thread on the Aussie form (Grand Final or SOO for example) and someone starts a different thread here and the conversation is split.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

18 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Most users post anything RL-related in the general forum. If you want engagement, you post it here, as a lot of people never even bother to look at the other sections of this site.

There are match threads for every single NRL/Origin round in the Australian RL Forum, but as soon as there's a big game (GF, Origin), the subject always gets duplicated on the main forum and the discourse is diluted and scattered.

Lazy, incurious thinking, I guess.

I agree

Same with union/RL tie in like cross code players 

I a really think the main forum should include anything RL relate including NRL and cross code things 

I don't think purely union topics that don't link to league should be before anyone moans 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I a really think the main forum should include anything RL relate including NRL and cross code things 

I am very happy with the admin's strict policy on cross code topics being pushed to their own forum.  It would descend quickly if they were allowed on here.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I agree

Same with union/RL tie in like cross code players 

I don't think purely union topics that don't link to league should be before anyone moans 

No, the mods have this spot on as it is. We've seen enough times with trolls what happens without this. 

15 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Because this Forum is mainly British rugby league but that does not mean Australian Rugby league is not aloud in the General Rugby League Forum.

That’s the general problem most Brits have with Australians though, it’s how vocal we are.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Haha 2

On 08/12/2023 at 10:17, Ragingbull said:

Thanks for raising such an important issue.  Im sure im not the only one thats been losing sleep over this. Its  one of the most pressing global issue at the minute. With out a doubt it will be causing anxiety for so many forum users

chuckle... but then again your tongue in cheek comment would apply to all the RL threads