CLUNKY WATCH 2024

well you know them summer fayres where you have to guess how many jelly beans are in the jar? 

well with more televised games than ever- will 2023s catchword "clunky" be used as much?

the prize for getting the nearest is a SL greatest tries video (VHS ) and a bag of Maltesers 

one guess only - cc matches - bbc - sky - ourleague - whatever premier sports calls its self these days  ALL count 

my opening gambit is CLUNKY  said 84 times 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

well you know them summer fayres where you have to guess how many jelly beans are in the jar? 

well with more televised games than ever- will 2023s catchword "clunky" be used as much?

the prize for getting the nearest is a SL greatest tries video (VHS ) and a bag of Maltesers 

one guess only - cc matches - bbc - sky - ourleague - whatever premier sports calls its self these days  ALL count 

my opening gambit is CLUNKY  said 84 times 

Who'll adjudicate this ? Watching every TV game ! Someone with not much else to do..who? ...oh right I see, good luck GJ.

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Who'll adjudicate this ? Watching every TV game ! Someone with not much else to do..who? ...oh right I see, good luck GJ.

theres always a statto somewhere - someone with a big nose who knows

not as hard as might think - not counting NRL - MOST trl members are watching a televised game -just say the game - the number of CLUNKYS and it goes in the count - easy

I've had my own version of this for the last couple of years but based on FRUSTRATED, it lasts all season long. 

Edited by Whippet13

37 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I've had my own version of this for the last couple of years but based on FRUSTRATED, it lasts all season long. 

put a bid in

4 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

If memory serves me well, "clunky" originated in the 1960s TV show My Three Sons.

Can you paste the details as it's saying I have to register for those?

Love a bit of, "this word you think has existed forever, actually came into being about the time of the moon landings ..."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Where does the adjective clunky come from?

Earliest known use

1960s

The earliest known use of the adjective clunky is in the 1960s.

OED's earliest evidence for clunky is from 1965, in My Three Sons.

• Like 1

I heard it twice in the Mr Bates v The Post Office dramatisation does that count? 

23 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Where does the adjective clunky come from?

Earliest known use

1960s

The earliest known use of the adjective clunky is in the 1960s.

OED's earliest evidence for clunky is from 1965, in My Three Sons.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the three sons were Clunky, Sticky and Moist.

It was very surreal, written by the same team behind The Mighty Boosh.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 11/01/2024 at 19:40, northamptoncougar said:

286 Clunks

how big the bag of maltesers? 

erm - I might have already opened them mmmmmmmmmm!

On 09/01/2024 at 17:39, HawkMan said:

Have a look at the televised games thread Hawkers, I suspect many will be watching every game, those with not much else to do!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...