SuperLeague+ Streaming Platform Launch

On 09/02/2024 at 16:53, Tommygilf said:

In fairness, it is really hard to justify not having a Sky Sports Rugby League channel now with that much content.

I agree, although some other’s on here like @Click and @The Rooster are adamant otherwise.

Truth be told, the sport is still far from having the broad appeal across the whole of the UK which may inhibit Sky from creating a RL channel, but there is certainly enough content in reasonably accessible places to start increasing public consciousness.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I agree, although some other’s on here like @Click and @The Rooster are adamant otherwise.

Truth be told, the sport is still far from having the broad appeal across the whole of the UK which may inhibit Sky from creating a RL channel, but there is certainly enough content in reasonably accessible places to start increasing public consciousness.

There is absolutely enough content, but in reality, if we look at the dedicated channels that Sky have, they are for sports that are on a different level to us. Formula One, Tennis, Cricket, Golf, Football - all have a worldwide presence. Cricket is maybe a slight outlier, but it's nature lends itself to having a dedicated channel, with so much content yearsr round. 

It would be nice if we got a dedicated channel for a period though. I recall a few years ago they launched the season with Sky Sports SL, but didn't change branding or anything, it'd be nice if we got it for a month or so around launch, like they do for darts around the Worlds.

• Like 6

Issue is that Sky has 2 spare channels- Arena and Mix for 6 months of the year. While Sky could launch another channel they have the following content: 

Darts, boxing, rugby union, basketball, netball and tennis/ cricket where there are 2 events at once. 

Difficult to squeeze the above onto one channel. 

Also having a league channel highlights Sky lack of rugby union content- which I don't think they want to highlight 

We will get our own Streaming section though in summer- along with EFL football and tennis. 

Edited by Rugbyleaguesupporter

On 04/02/2024 at 17:48, Adelaide Tiger said:

Does anyone know by what sorcery someone living in Australia can watch SL games this year that are shown on SKY?

P.S. I can watch the BBC games via a VPN.

As it has been explained, people living outside the UK and Ireland can subscribe to Super League +  and watch every game live. Only people living inside the UK and Ireland are unable to watch the Sky games live on Super League +, though even those subscribers to Super League + will have access to them 48 hours after the end of each of the games. 

Edited by Bradman Better

2 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

How do you know?

Fox League will be broadcasting the SL games in Australia, so SL+ is not just unnecessary, but would probably be breach of contract.

Who currently has the broadcast rights for the USA and Canada?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Good coverage for the Aussies with Foxtel too:

Thank God ….. or should that be Thank IMG ….. for that.  Just series linked all the games.  

Cannot find the Leeds v Salford game on 507 as the programme shows the Womens Surfing Tour.  But beggars cannot be choosers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Fox League will be broadcasting the SL games in Australia, so SL+ is not just unnecessary, but would probably be breach of contract.

Who currently has the broadcast rights for the USA and Canada?

To back that up:

"And that's in addition to the launch of SuperLeague+, the sport's new global direct-to-consumer streaming platform which will be available everywhere in the world except Australia - including the US, Canada, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and throughout the Pacific."

Details of that, along with who has rights elsewhere, here: https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3951/betfred-super-league-secures-six-international-broadcast-agreements

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thank God ….. or should that be Thank IMG ….. for that.  Just series linked all the games.  

Cannot find the Leeds v Salford game on 507 as the programme shows the Womens Surfing Tour.  But beggars cannot be choosers.

And additionally:

• Like 2

For New Zealand, it looks as though Sky Sport NZ no longer have SL rights - none of the games for this weekend are showing on their online TV guide. Apparently the SL app is available in NZ. Was hoping it would be in addition to being available on Sky but seems not. 

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Can confirm this is now available in the USA after my original whinge. One very happy US based brother!

Great work Superleague 👍

Several international broadcast deals have just been signed including the USA, so SL+ probably couldn't promise coverage there until everything was official.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Cake Tiger said:

For New Zealand, it looks as though Sky Sport NZ no longer have SL rights - none of the games for this weekend are showing on their online TV guide. Apparently the SL app is available in NZ. Was hoping it would be in addition to being available on Sky but seems not. 

Lack of NZ rights is disappointing. 

5 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Thanks Damien.  That is good news. I still remember when SL games were shown on Aussie terrestrial TV many years ago but that only seemed to last a few month.

Hopefully this will last a lot longer.

Yes, I thought that was tge case and the claim was incorrect. 

19 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Can confirm this is now available in the USA after my original whinge. One very happy US based brother!

Great work Superleague 👍

Just to ask the dumb question with the obvious answer before I drop the money on it: this is without VPN and includes all 6 games a week?