2024 attendance thread

18 hours ago, JonM said:

Some good attendances in the 3 NRL games so far, 22378 for Newcastle vs Canberra, 20169 for Melbourne vs Penrith and a 24076 sellout at Mt. Smart for NZ Warriors vs Cronulla.

Do we think 22,378 in Newcastle is good enough? I would think anything sub 90% full for a Newcastle opening season fixture is questionable. Thursday night fixture may be the only acceptable excuse in my mind.

36 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Do we think 22,378 in Newcastle is good enough?

More than their first home game of last season.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

29,171 at CommBank Stadium for Eels V Dogs was impressive.

Titans v Dragons was very unimpressive hosting just 14,537 for their opening match of the season. That result will be further demoralising for the Titans and NRL when the Gold Coast Suns on the same day impressed a 22,086 sellout crowd with a big win locally.

I posted on the Australian section but was looking forward to watch the Eels v Dogs game on Sky and they didn't have it on 😞

Regarding the Suns game how many Richmond fans were in the crowd....neverless great for NRL Western Sydney but shocker for Titans not good in the PR battle.

Edited by EggFace

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Titans v Dragons was very unimpressive hosting just 14,537 for their opening match of the season. That result will be further demoralising for the Titans and NRL when the Gold Coast Suns on the same day impressed a 22,086 sellout crowd with a big win locally.

The games overlapped so almost 37k watching football on GC is impressive

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Who on earth are the suns? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JonM said:

More than their first home game of last season.

After the “successful” season they had of 2023, I should hope so. Anyway, maybe they get a pass because it was a Thursday night.

When the club is near on selling out for games at the back end of the previous season, I would expect the hype of the new year to filter through to another big gate for the opening game of the following season.

8 hours ago, EggFace said:

I posted on the Australian section but was looking forward to watch the Eels v Dogs game on Sky and they didn't have it on 😞

Regarding the Suns game how many Richmond fans were in the crowd....neverless great for NRL Western Sydney but shocker for Titans not good in the PR battle.

It was an overwhelming Suns crowd.

Strange the Parra game wasn’t available on Sky.

great for NRL Western Sydney but shocker for Titans not good in the PR battle.

Yes, that Parra crowd was great. Shame is, I think they could have got more. Again the NRL competitors in the AFL have had a very successful round so far, with a near capacity 21,235 watching GWS at Homebush run out winners against the Premiers. They will be ecstatic with that.

I actually feel like the NRL are rising to the challenge of the AFL for a matchday experience. 2023 was a phenomenal and unprecedented season for NRL crowds. What I did particularly notice with the GWS game was the number of groups of 3 - 8 young attractive ladies all sitting together dressed in apparel watching GWS. They have chosen to attend an AFL game rather than a Saturday night out on the town which is pretty impressive for GWS. I’ve always thought many of the Sydney NRL clubs could lift their game in becoming an attractive host for a ladies night out.

• Confused 1

Literally tens of thousands of Victorians migrate permanently out of Victoria every year looking for a bit of decent weather, Queensland being one of their favourite destinations. Many Suns fumbleball fans would be expat Victorians.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, that Parra crowd was great. Shame is, I think they could have got more

You`ve really got your fumbleball hard-on this morning, a couple of big crowds for the midgets and the suns and you lose the plot. As of Thursday evening:

Only 144 tickets left on sale at Commbank for Saturday evening:
74 in gold
39 in silver
12 in bronze
1 in alcohol free
17 in platinum
1 in premium 

Early Friday a.m. Match officially a sell-out. No tickets available.

34 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

What I did particularly notice with the GWS game was the number of groups of 3 - 8 young attractive ladies all sitting together dressed in apparel watching GWS. They have chosen to attend an AFL game rather than a Saturday night out on the town which is pretty impressive for GWS. I’ve always thought many of the Sydney NRL clubs could lift their game in becoming an attractive host for a ladies night out.

WTF.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You`ve really got your fumbleball hard-on this morning, a couple of big crowds for the midgets and the suns and you lose the plot. As of Thursday evening:

Only 144 tickets left on sale at Commbank for Saturday evening:
74 in gold
39 in silver
12 in bronze
1 in alcohol free
17 in platinum
1 in premium 

Early Friday a.m. Match officially a sell-out. No tickets available.

What can I say, there was all sorts of enjoyable footy on. I did say Parra was impressive. I wonder how many they could have gotten through the gates at Homebush. 40+? Reckon maybe even hit 50+?

47 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Literally tens of thousands of Victorians migrate permanently out of Victoria every year looking for a bit of decent weather, Queensland being one of their favourite destinations. Many Suns fumbleball fans would be expat Victorians.

I’m not sure there is any dispute to that. Perhaps that demonstrates why the AFL is pursuing their GC investment. The amount of kids playing AFL in GC is crazy. I am sure the vast number of Victorians moving their families up to GC is a big factor in this. That the Suns had a 50% larger crowd than the Titans for Rd1 fixtures played on the same day is very telling don’t you think? Or is that as we should be expecting?

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

What can I say, there was all sorts of enjoyable footy on. I did say Parra was impressive. I wonder how many they could have gotten through the gates at Homebush. 40+? Reckon maybe even hit 50+?

I’m not sure there is any dispute to that. Perhaps that demonstrates why the AFL is pursuing their GC investment.

I am sure the vast number of Victorians moving their families up to GC is a big factor in this. That the Suns had a 50% larger crowd than the Titans for Rd1 fixtures played on the same day is very telling don’t you think? Or is that as we should be expecting?

Fumbleball has been left looking small time and sillier than ever after the NRL`s Las Vegas adventure and desperate to grab a few positive headlines in trying to look relevant in the northern states. The suns averaged about 13 000 last year, the Titans over 17000, I suspect there was a lot of free tickets and doing just about anything they could to get that crowd number up, to try and make themselves look important, because it was way out of the norm.

23 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The amount of kids playing AFL in GC is crazy.

a) anecdotal (and from a fumbleball propagandist) & b) fumbleball HQ participation figures are about as useful as #### on a bull.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Fumbleball has been left looking small time and sillier than ever after the NRL`s Las Vegas adventure and desperate to grab a few positive headlines in trying to look relevant in the northern states. The suns averaged about 13 000 last year, the Titans over 17000, I suspect there was a lot of free tickets and doing just about anything they could to get that crowd number up, to try and make themselves look important, because it was way out of the norm.

a) anecdotal (and from a fumbleball propagandist) & b) fumbleball HQ participation figures are about as useful as #### on a bull.

Yeah there probably were a few free tickets, but people still need to turn up and turn up they did, in big numbers and plenty of Suns apparel. I am not sure how anything the NRL have done has somehow made the AFL look sillier than ever, but sure, whatever makes you comfortable.

I think the NRL will be pretty satisfied with the crowds from this week and last. Maybe a concern with the Titans, especially after their PP performance (or was it your Dragons which made them look so meek?) but nothing else I wouldn’t have thought.

What did you think of young Flanno’s game? I wish him well. He’s faced heaps of adversity and knocks since leaving the Sharks and I think he has been the unfairly selected fall guy at both Roosters and Dogs. I don’t think he is a Cleary in the making, but with Hunt inside him, he has the perfect halves partner to give him the best opportunity to succeed.

On 08/03/2024 at 20:08, JonM said:

Some good attendances in the 3 NRL games so far, 22378 for Newcastle vs Canberra, 20169 for Melbourne vs Penrith and a 24076 sellout at Mt. Smart for NZ Warriors vs Cronulla.

That’s a very good crowd for the Storm. Their crowds had noticeably dropped off since covid so good to see some bounce back

• Like 1

The only moderately surprising thing about the AFL gates is that GWS got anyone to turn up. I doubt they'll manage it much more over the season. Sydney and Brisbane are always capable of those kind of gates.

The NRL numbers are decent. 

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yes, that Parra crowd was great. Shame is, I think they could have got more. Again the NRL competitors in the AFL have had a very successful round so far, with a near capacity 21,235 watching GWS at Homebush run out winners against the Premiers. They will be ecstatic with that.

I actually feel like the NRL are rising to the challenge of the AFL for a matchday experience. 2023 was a phenomenal and unprecedented season for NRL crowds. What I did particularly notice with the GWS game was the number of groups of 3 - 8 young attractive ladies all sitting together dressed in apparel watching GWS. They have chosen to attend an AFL game rather than a Saturday night out on the town which is pretty impressive for GWS. I’ve always thought many of the Sydney NRL clubs could lift their game in becoming an attractive host for a ladies night out.

“Challenge” of fumbleball. Inventing interest in Sydney. You are such a massive loser. 

15 hours ago, JonM said:

4116 for London B vs Wigan.

The London crowds are certainly bigger than I had anticipated. I hope they can sustain them. They will want a win soon.

33 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

“Challenge” of fumbleball. Inventing interest in Sydney. You are such a massive loser. 

No way darl’, I’m a winner.

Edited by Sports Prophet

Catalans look like they had most seats sat in against Hull. Pretty good considering conditions looked pretty average. One of my best ever regular season SL experiences was a Dragons v Bulls game back in the noughties. Big crowd, bumper atmosphere.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

That’s a very good crowd for the Storm. Their crowds had noticeably dropped off since covid so good to see some bounce back

That’s not correct. Storm averaged 18,264 from 11 games in Melbourne last year (20,924 if you include Magic). Far higher than pre-covid crowds.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

That’s not correct. Storm averaged 18,264 from 11 games in Melbourne last year (20,924 if you include Magic). Far higher than pre-covid crowds.

Not true.
2019: 18,230

2022: 15,831

2023: 18,264

So they bounced back well last year but on a par with pre covid

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Not true.
2019: 18,230

2022: 15,831

2023: 18,264

So they bounced back well last year but on a par with pre covid

That 2019 total has magic included. Their regular season average in Melbourne 2019 was 16,014.

Hopefully they can get that even higher this year. Last year 2 games at Marvel/Docklands drew pretty good crowds to boost the average. Their average at AAMI will still their highest ever there I believe.

Edited by jim_57