Have we got a RL Joey Barton ?

On the general point I think RL does well with its women pundits and presenters and for me they are usually a breath of fresh air. We have a good bunch.

I think Danika Priim is as good as anyone and significantly better than most. Jenna Brooks always comes across as really knowledgable and asks all the right questions. Although less seen the likes of Jodie Cunningham and Lois Forsell always speak well.

Helen Skelton presents the sports really well. I think Tanya Arnold was also good too and unfairly criticised.

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

On the general point I think RL does well with its women pundits and presenters and for me they are usually a breath of fresh air. We have a good bunch.

I think Danika Priim is as good as anyone and significantly better than most. Jenna Brooks always comes across as really knowledgable and asks all the right questions. Although less seen the likes of Jodie Cunningham and Lois Forsell always speak well.

Helen Skelton presents the sports really well. I think Tanya Arnold was also good too and unfairly criticised.

Tbh this seems destined for the AOB/politics sub forum, but I think in League it doesn't receive as many complaints as in football because the women in League are obviously competent pundits and presenters in their own right and thus don't come across as tokenistic at all. They are there because they can do the job and do it well as you describe.

Complaining about the women in RL presentation would be clearly misogynistic because they are clearly very competent. 

• Like 6

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Tbh this seems destined for the AOB/politics sub forum, but I think in League it doesn't receive as many complaints as in football because the women in League are obviously competent pundits and presenters in their own right and thus don't come across as tokenistic at all. They are there because they can do the job and do it well as you describe.

Complaining about the women in RL presentation would be clearly misogynistic because they are clearly very competent. 

Not sure I agree with this.  All the female summarisers I see in football are all very experienced ex players, many of them with a lot of international caps. 

I don't think the pundits in football are any less competent than those in Rugby League are.

• Like 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If we're getting a red button choice on which commentators to exclude, the women are nowhere near the top of my list.

Whilst we're getting people to shut up, can we get a red button choice on this idiot to keep his trap shut?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As you say, this thread is likely to be moved, but the examples of criticism in other sports has absolutely been misogyny too. 

When we criticise Barry and Terry for example, we don't sign off by asking for men to be banished to the red button. 

In pretty much every case of 'debate' around this, it quickly moves from criticism of an individual to then wanting all women banished. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In pretty much every case of 'debate' around this, it quickly moves from criticism of an individual to then wanting all women banished. 

Half the time these days the part about criticising the individual is missed out and they just go straight for the group that they belong to.  

John Devereux hasn't started by saying a particular pundit isn't good enough, he has gone straight for the gender and that's the start and end of his argument. 

I like some pundits and not others. But grouping them into 'all pundits of this type' is just nonsense. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not sure I agree with this.  All the female summarisers I see in football are all very experienced ex players, many of them with a lot of international caps. 

I don't think the pundits in football are any less competent than those in Rugby League are.

Oh I agree, however I have seen some pretty poor examples shared too, often in high profile roles.

Our presenters and pundits, even those involved in other sports like Emma Jones, aren't those being criticised generally because they are clearly good at what they do.

3 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

There's always GB News for your types now pal, nobody makes you watch the BBC, it's not North Korea.

Sure you can get Love Thy Neighbour on dvd online. 

I think, well hope he was being sarcastic 

• Like 2

I will say for the record though that some of the ex players and fans are probably just pining for the days when their sport was a guy thing... what they used to do with their mates, and having women on tv isn't like the good old days when it was just 'us guys'.

This may not be misogynistic in itself, maybe just nostalgic.  But the critism it brings out certainly manifests itself as misogynistic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

As you say, this thread is likely to be moved, but the examples of criticism in other sports has absolutely been misogyny too. 

When we criticise Barry and Terry for example, we don't sign off by asking for men to be banished to the red button. 

I think that last bit is obviously a ridiculous aspect to this "debate" which exposes the misogyny of those commenting on it.

• Like 3

The thing is, his pal Jiffy is easily one of the worst RL broadcasters going. Blatantly only ever watches the 5/6 games of Rugby League he covers for the BBC per year. Jodie Cunningham, Danika Prim etc far more clued up than that wally. Don't care how many dual caps he has.

Also do these knuckledraggers actually think that Brian Carney(he's fine - this isn't a bash at him) is a better television presenter than say Helen Skelton or Clare Balding? Both have 1000 times the experience presenting and broadcasting live, having it been their chosen career from the start. 

Theres an epidemic of monkey see monkey do behaviour. Those jumping on the Barton bandwagon should really take a look at themselves.

Barton is clearly unwell.

Edited by Tim Streets tache
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

The thing is, his pal Jiffy is easily one of the worst RL broadcasters going. Blatantly only ever watches the 5/6 games of Rugby League he covers for the BBC per year. Jodie Cunningham, Danika Prim etc far more clued up than that wally. Don't care how many dual caps he has.

Also do these knuckledraggers actually think that Brian Carney(he's fine - this isn't a bash at him) is a better television presenter than say Helen Skelton or Clare Balding? Both have 1000 times the experience presenting and broadcasting live, having it been their chosen career from the start. 

Theres an epidemic of monkey see monkey do behaviour. Those jumping on the Barton bandwagon should really take a look at themselves.

Barton is clearly unwell.

I don't know if he has the inclination to do it but I could see Carney being a good generalist TV presenter.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

We probably have to have him on because the BBC pay him so much.

If they are going to show Super League games, the likes of him, Noble and Hunter-Paul need to be nowhere need it. New and dynamic, not old and tired.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don't know if he has the inclination to do it but I could see Carney being a good generalist TV presenter.

He would. Carney is probably a bad example. Imagine say...  Kyle Amor or Kevin Brown(both fine as a pundits) as lead anchors.  My point being the likes of Balding and Skelton make the product far slicker and appealing than some monotone, cliche ridden northern fella. Both are brilliant.

Edited by Tim Streets tache

31 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

In terms of Davies I was very much of this opinion until a couple of years ago, his analysis was always very superficial but I think he's gotten a lot better recently in calling games. Don't know if anyone else is of the same opinion. 

I like Carney as an anchorman, he's no Bob Wilson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I don't want to see a flood of women covering the Men's game, but I do think Cunningham, Forsell and Priim are good analysts.

Jenna Brooks when she's on screen is sometimes too dazzlingly attractive. I find it hard to focus on what she's saying when her face is there as well.

I'm all for a smattering of women, alongside the men.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I like Carney as an anchorman, he's no Bob Wilson. 

I see what you did there. :kolobok_cool:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I find this interesting, because some people are more likely to criticise a woman doing a job than they are a man of the same standard, but when morons are doing it (for publicity like Barton or for other reasosn) it makes me less keen to criticise a woman than a man doing the job to a same standard.

I can think of some female pundits that are poor on Rugby League coverage, but I would group them in with the poor male ones who are also ex-players and seem to have decided they should be working in the media. I know it seems to be fairly common that ex-players and coaches are seen as the best people to present tv coverage/punditry but I'd be much happier to see professional and knowledgeable journalists/presenters on a TV show.

I also think the tokenism argument would fall down if they did pick the best person for the job, why was the women's world cup presentation team mostly made up of women, the men's world cup presented by men, and the wheelchair world cup presented by someone with a disability? Best person for the job please, no reason for that not to be the case.