2 hours ago, lemmy xaan said:

Yes, but not if your IP address is non-UK. It only shows for UK viewers.

Can you not set up "My sports" thing overseas, because in the UK you can with your login and it shows any links for that sport on all pages, pretty much.

• Like 1

so now dave woods has gone to SKY who will be main commentator? Bradley Walsh? hes on every frickin thing else so he might as well be- "is it a try?" "its gotta be- innit?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, Fly-By-TheWire said:

Apologies if I’ve missed this in the thread, but with the Super League Show now defunct, are we getting a magazine program to replace it? Or any highlights show? 

It’s not just defunct but seemingly redundant:

‘This means we have made some changes to our output and will produce digital highlights of all matches over each Super League round. Whilst we are proud of the Super League Show as it was a staple in the schedules for many years, it will no longer continue.’

I imagine that means bite size highlights of each game on iPlayer etc.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Coggo said:

‘This means we have made some changes to our output and will produce digital highlights of all matches over each Super League round. Whilst we are proud of the Super League Show as it was a staple in the schedules for many years, it will no longer continue.’

That's actually quite a bad thing as it seems the highlights are going digital only. If the SLS had been spruced up and given a vaguely less challenging nationwide slot it would have been a perfect fit for the new deal. Ignoring when and what the number of broadcast hours might actually fall under this...?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, M j M said:

That's actually quite a bad thing as it seems the highlights are going digital only. If the SLS had been spruced up and given a vaguely less challenging nationwide slot it would have been a perfect fit for the new deal. Ignoring when and what the number of broadcast hours might actually fall under this...?

Live games, regardless of number of hours, is better than a cheap programme broadcast at awful times, that is never promoted.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, M j M said:

I doubt it will be missed. The modern world wants on-demand clips that are quick and easy to access. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Live games, regardless of number of hours, is better than a cheap programme broadcast at awful times, that is never promoted.

Like I said it needed improving. But a regular magazine/highlights show should work really well alongside occasional live games so it's a shame it's not continuing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Coggo said:

I doubt it will be missed. The modern world wants on-demand clips that are quick and easy to access. 

It's obviously not the same but Match of the Day pulls in very strong viewing figures.

• Like 2

Just now, M j M said:

It's obviously not the same but Match of the Day pulls in very strong viewing figures.

But that’s shown on primetime Saturday nights a few hours after the games. Super League Show is a bit of an afterthought. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coggo said:

The very short highlight clips that the SLS used to show have been appearing online for a few seasons now. Not as promptly as many (including me) would like. 

That left the SLS with only the studio guest(s) and the mid-show featurette as a USP, and the latter usually appeared on the BBC Sport website anyway. There wasn't much left to cancel, really, especially with the scheduling which was spitefully petty to the end.

A really good magazine show? Well that would take time and money and people. Maybe if the sport capitalises on the increased TV exposure and the demand becomes evident, but it's a long shot.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, M j M said:

The TV hours probably are reducing as you say. Looks like the cup has seen a reduction, SLS gone and we did used to have playoff highlights already. 

But, the BBC will now show c20-23 live games of RL across their platforms, plus internationals if we stage them, so that can't be sniffed at. 

I suppose live games are the premium stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The TV hours probably are reducing as you say. Looks like the cup has seen a reduction, SLS gone and we did used to have playoff highlights already. 

But, the BBC will now show c20-23 live games of RL across their platforms, plus internationals if we stage them, so that can't be sniffed at. 

I suppose live games are the premium stuff. 

But it is an overall improvement. Lose a little (one more CC round goes to stream-only, plus we lose the SLS that most people noisily disparage), gain more elsewhere on both broadcast and streaming platforms.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm sad about the cup. I think as a game we committed an act of self-sabotage by only bringing the SL clubs in at the last 16 round, and it is poor that even that round is now going to be hidden away from view. It's particularly annoying when a broadcaster owns the rights to something but won't show it (don't tell me it is on the red button, only the hard-core RL fans will find it there). 

I also feel for the people who made and watched the Super League Show. It was always on at an awkward time, and only available several days after the main games, so I can see why it has gone. But I always found it to be a decent watchable show and I think things could have been done to make it more watched (mostly around scheduling).

• Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I'm sad about the cup. I think as a game we committed an act of self-sabotage by only bringing the SL clubs in at the last 16 round, and it is poor that even that round is now going to be hidden away from view. It's particularly annoying when a broadcaster owns the rights to something but won't show it (don't tell me it is on the red button, only the hard-core RL fans will find it there). 

I also feel for the people who made and watched the Super League Show. It was always on at an awkward time, and only available several days after the main games, so I can see why it has gone. But I always found it to be a decent watchable show and I think things could have been done to make it more watched (mostly around scheduling).

Both those moves will likely be money related and the BBC has less and less of that. I'm very pleased we're getting a significant net increase in games and the sport should be a lot more visible on the app/website - both of which are, I believe, very good for getting people to watch live content. The numbers viewing even the most niche of things seem more than decent.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Archie Gordon said:

Does anyone know why C4 couldn't have been renewed alongside the BBC? The idea that one outbid the other seems odd when there isn't scarcity.

The scarcity would be the number of FTA games permitted by the Sky deal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Coggo said:

The scarcity would be the number of FTA games permitted by the Sky deal. 

Indeed. But I thought that now left 4 games per round for sale.

EDIT: You're right. Still a limit imposed by Sky on FTA.

Edited by Archie Gordon

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

so now dave woods has gone to SKY who will be main commentator? Bradley Walsh? hes on every frickin thing else so he might as well be- "is it a try?" "its gotta be- innit?"

However, if he WAS brought in, viewing figures would increase.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Indeed. But I thought that now left 4 games per round for sale.

They are on the app. It’s not clear to me how much Sky involvement has in SL+ but I get a strong whiff of Now TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

You say hidden away but I think the crucial thing is the matches placement to a lesser extent on BBC Sport but to a greater extent on BBC iPlayer. Obviously not as good as telly but that platform draws a fairly big audience.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coggo said:

But that’s shown on primetime Saturday nights a few hours after the games. Super League Show is a bit of an afterthought. 

MotD is repeated on broadcast TV on a Sunday morning, too. 

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

But it is an overall improvement. Lose a little (one more CC round goes to stream-only, plus we lose the SLS that most people noisily disparage), gain more elsewhere on both broadcast and streaming platforms.

Yes, that's what the 2nd half of my post refers to. 

I don't think I've watched an SLS for years. 

• Like 1