1895 Cup Connotations for Quarter Finals

I for one am happy its actually in a cup competition format this year. I can't find a full listing of groups as they stand. What is the state of play going into the last group games. In my teams group its a winner takes all between Bulls vs Keighley as to who progresses. Plus obviously there's the best placed runner up.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Would say York are favourites if it comes down to points difference unless somebody conjures up a draw to guarantee they both go through

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Flashscores is your friend for the group tables. They also have a league table of all the second placed teams, at least half of whom won't be in next week's table of second placed teams.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

I think the Quarter finalists will be Barrow, Bradford, Batley, Wakey, York, Swinton, Sheffield and Oldham.

Only two matches for those clubs to win to get a day out at Wembley. 

Would like Oldham away if we were lucky enough to beat Keighley tbh.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

14 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Careful what you wish for. Extremely handy looking squad there in 2024. Easily Championship standard.

There's no weak side in your eight.

• Like 1

I make it as follows:

Group 1: Barrow are through

Group 2: Winner of Keighley vs Bradford go through. If it's a draw, Bradford win the group and Keighley also through as best second place. 

Group 3: Wakefield go through by beating Newcastle (or a draw). York are also through as best 2nd place team unless someone else wins big.

Group 4: Oldham go through if they draw or beat Rochdale. If Rochdale win by 76 points, they go through, otherwise it's Halifax.

Group 5: Batley go through if they draw or beat Hunslet. If Hunslet beat them by 99 points, they go through, otherwise it's Featherstone.

Group 6: Swinton are through.

Group 7: Sheffield go through by beating Midlands (or a draw). If Midlands win 68 points or more, they go through, otherwise it's Doncaster.

York are currently the most likely to go through as best second place. The only realistic result that puts them out is a Keighley/Bradford draw. Could change if there's an upset in one of the above groups, or if Whitehaven beat Workington T by 76, or Widnes beat North Wales by 80. Neither seems likely. 

Nobody is mathematically out of it yet, even Newcastle can go through if they can just beat Wakefield by around 170 points.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I make it as follows:

Group 1: Barrow are through

Group 2: Winner of Keighley vs Bradford go through. If it's a draw, Bradford win the group and Keighley also through as best second place. 

Group 3: Wakefield go through by beating Newcastle (or a draw). York are also through as best 2nd place team unless someone else wins big.

Group 4: Oldham go through if they draw or beat Rochdale. If Rochdale win by 76 points, they go through, otherwise it's Halifax.

Group 5: Batley go through if they draw or beat Hunslet. If Hunslet beat them by 99 points, they go through, otherwise it's Featherstone.

Group 6: Swinton are through.

Group 7: Sheffield go through by beating Midlands (or a draw). If Midlands win 68 points or more, they go through, otherwise it's Doncaster.

York are currently the most likely to go through as best second place. The only realistic result that puts them out is a Keighley/Bradford draw. Could change if there's an upset in one of the above groups, or if Whitehaven beat Workington T by 76, or Widnes beat North Wales by 80. Neither seems likely. 

Nobody is mathematically out of it yet, even Newcastle can go through if they can just beat Wakefield by around 170 points.

Helluva lot of typing to come up with the same 8 names I typed

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Probably not that difficult for them. They'd need to win by 178 to top the group but would most likely go through as best 2nd placed side with a win of around 150. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, north yorks trinity said:

Probably not that difficult for them. They'd need to win by 178 to top the group but would most likely go through as best 2nd placed side with a win of around 150. 😉

I just can't see them getting through the 100 point barrier.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Where are the tables listed?

Flashscores for the crazy best second place table.

Oldham second favs has to be one of the biggest over reactions I can remember in a little while. York at 50/1 stands out as they are nailed on to get best runner up and although there won't be a market to lay against, if they did make the final then you could probably guarentee a bit of profit with a bet on Wakey.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Odds for the 1895(AKA the Joseph Platt trophy)

Wakefield Trinity 1/4
Oldham RLFC 8/1
Bradford Bulls 12/1
Sheffield Eagles 16/1
Batley Bulldogs 20/1
Barrow Raiders 33/1
Swinton Lions 33/1
York City Knights 50/

I am surprised at these odds, but really pleased we are attracting the interest of the game in general