Sat 17th Feb: SL: Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors KO 5.30pm (Sky/BBC/SL+)

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 18:00

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Especially when most of what I've read from people who endured the first round of the RU Six Nations was anything but positive. Even from people who aren't usually critical.

I think you will find that the France vs Ireland game was rather good, but that may a topic for another forum...

• Like 1

Good to have the game on the Beeb for penetration and cut-through I guess, but I find their team very drab and uninspiring (Arnold and Brown excepted). Definitely less sexy and fresh than Channel 4 over the last two years.

Watched a few minutes here and there on Aunty Beeb, but I kept going back to Sky with Woods and Wells.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worzel said:

This Cas side are performing better than I’d expected, given the quality of players in the squad. Look well coached, and certainly showing some grit. Fair play. 

Didn't hold the ball well though too many mistakes .Thought Wigan played the conditions very well and defence was sound.If Penrith come in undercooked next Saturday Wigan have a good chance of winning.

1 hour ago, N2022 said:

Didn't realise that, but still ridiculous in a way. It's so obvious there.

There is good reason why, and that has been "debated" on here at length. In essence, checking forward pases is really an issue of what might be characterised  as 4d geometry. The traditional 3 d geometry plus the addition of time.  TMO is not used in rugby league. VR is the term we use.

Edited by JohnM

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

And, more infuriating, why the usual suspect Wigan fan, rather sadly,  keeps posting laughing emoticons just to wind people up while offering nothing in the way of constructive input.

Captain Laughing Emoji is an interesting character.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Good to have the game on the Beeb for penetration and cut-through I guess, but I find their team very drab and uninspiring (Arnold and Brown excepted). Definitely less sexy and fresh than Channel 4 over the last two years.

Watched a few minutes here and there on Aunty Beeb, but I kept going back to Sky with Woods and Wells.

I have to agree with this. The BBC presentation was its usual sub-par self.

Aside from the flat level of analysis, there’s never any effort with the pre-created video clips or graphics, all perfunctory stuff. 

15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

There is good reason why, and that has been "debated" on here at length. In essence, checking forward pases is really an issue of what might be characterised  as 4d geometry. The traditional 3 d geometry plus the addition of time.  TMO is not used in rugby league. VR is the term we use.

You're quite within your rights to correct me on the name of the system. But I do find it funny that that detail seems to matter more to you than teams gaining a clear advantage through flipping the ball forward. 

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

So dumping some ones head in the ground deserves a yellow.

Sorry, I don't understand your point, is this a statement or a question?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sorry, I don't understand your point, is this a statement or a question?

You know what I don't care now as I was really hyped for this game but just like the RWC World Cup left a sour taste in my mouth.

Edited by EggFace

Just now, EggFace said:

You know what I don't care.

Ok

8 minutes ago, N2022 said:

You're quite within your rights to correct me on the name of the system. But I do find it funny that that detail seems to matter more to you than teams gaining a clear advantage through flipping the ball forward. 

Trying to help you not correct you.

15 minutes ago, Worzel said:

I have to agree with this. The BBC presentation was its usual sub-par self.

After Channel 4 felt lively, this was anything but. Though I can't tell you much about it as turned over as soon as Sky started to avoid Robbie. His interviews haven't improved either.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Trying to help you not correct you.

Well, help by correcting, which is a fair intention, so no gripe on that front. Maybe people have different bugbears when watching a sport, and mine is clearly forward pass. I'm sure there are all kinds of scientific subtleties around momentum, but the blatant ones really get my goat...

2 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

What does a Wigan have to do to get sent off?

I don't know, what does a Wigan have to do to get sent off?

(i'm presuming that was one of those kind of jokes where you now give the answer?)

"I'm led to believe from the sideline that the recommendation from the video referee was that Harry Smith's was a red card and that on the recommendation of an on-field official it got reduced to a yellow card. Why?"

Interesting post match comments from Lingard, could have been misled like.

2 minutes ago, eclecticsheep said:

The play the ball with the foot  didnt last long, Cas made a good fist of it but Wigan could have been pinged all the game.

Oh FFS, the ref would have pinged Wigan if they didn't perform to the latest directives. 

Have you not been taking notice.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

So dumping some ones head in the ground deserves a yellow.

It is not the result it is how it happens, the refs give very detailed explanations of their decisions of how they came to their decision. If you don't like it, tough, its how the game works.

• Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Just catching up on this one and skipped to the incidents on the bbc feed, and if the Watts tackle is a red i have no idea how Wigan aren't down to 11 for the Smith and Ellis incidents, especially the Smith one which I would've thought a red at any point in the last 10 years.

You are going to spend a lot of the year being angry, I suspect. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like Smith he does the basics very well and his kicking has improved.He is not a dirty player who would go out to injure an opponent.But he raised the Cas players legs above horizontal causing him to go head first into the turf( luckily very soft).He could have released the legs but kept hold putting the Cas player into a dangerous position.I feared for his neck rather than a serious head injury .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1