Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

New season, new start.

Some very nice compliments going Will Pryce's way in the pre-season game against Cronulla. Fingers crossed that this continues.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bulldogs - Ryan Sutton, Max King. 
Dolphins - Herbie Farnworth. 
Knights - Kai Pearce-Paul, Will Pryce, Jackson Hastings.
Rabbitohs - Tom Burgess. 
Raiders - Elliot Whitehead, Morgan Smithies. 
Roosters - Victor Radley, Dom Young, Lewis Murphy. 
Sea Eagles - Bailey Hodgson. 
Tigers - John Bateman.

Probably missed some.

Edited by jim_57
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Knights - Kai Pearce-Paul, Will Pryce. 
Rabbitohs - Tom Burgess. 

Probably missed some.

Who’s Max King?

5 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Knights - Kai Pearce-Paul, Will Pryce. 
Rabbitohs - Tom Burgess. 
Tigers - John Bateman.

Probably missed some.

A decent XIII, if a bit light in the halves. 

• Like 1

Mixed emotions about a new thread.

I feel like my 547 posts on the last thread have been consigned to history... and at least 4 of them were quite insightful. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Mixed emotions about a new thread.

I feel like my 547 posts on the last thread have been consigned to history... and at least 4 of them were quite insightful. 

I was wondering why we needed a new one for this year - the other has been running for about 5.

• Like 1

Don't want this to become a page of remembrance but yeah the original 'Brits in the NRL', started by @burnleywelsh if i'm not mistaken, was probably my most visited thread on TRL. It's legacy for me will be that it was the first knowledge I ever had that now super star Herbie Farnworth existed and was in fact British! 

Anyway, Brits in the NRL is dead - long live Brits in the NRL: 2024 edition! 

• Like 1

Anyone who didn't get a chance to see Will Pryce at the weekend, this highlights package has his try and two assists.

Starting at 2:47

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/19/the-best-plays-from-pre-season-challenge-week-1/

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

43 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Don't want this to become a page of remembrance but yeah the original 'Brits in the NRL', started by @burnleywelsh if i'm not mistaken, was probably my most visited thread on TRL. It's legacy for me will be that it was the first knowledge I ever had that now super star Herbie Farnworth existed and was in fact British! 

The original and the best…..😂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It was also the thread in which we would learn that Dom Young would be rubbish forever more because he made a losing debut as a 17 year old against St Helens and was at fault for every try.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Damien said:

It was also the thread in which we would learn that Dom Young would be rubbish forever more because he made a losing debut as a 17 year old against St Helens and was at fault for every try.

It was a thread full of really interesting opinions.

One of my favourites is when Ryan Hall was having a tough time in the NRL in 2020 someone popped up and said the most disappointing thing was he was not putting his hand up to carry the ball.

Hall was 4th in average carries per game in the entire NRL that year (and one of the three above him only played one game).

18 hours ago, jim_57 said:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/max-king-prop-switch-england-world-cup-1530503

English born Bulldogs prop/lock who’s said he would like to play for England. Been playing well last couple years.

On this basis, Sam Walker is English, too. Born in Leeds when his dad was playing for the Rhinos. Also, Max King has played for the Australuan PM's team. Could this prevent him playing for England going forward?

10 minutes ago, Spotty Herbert said:

On this basis, Sam Walker is English, too. Born in Leeds when his dad was playing for the Rhinos. Also, Max King has played for the Australuan PM's team. Could this prevent him playing for England going forward?

The PMs team is not a recognised international team rather its an invitational side. King qualifies through  birth and parentage through his mother.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Yeah not sure that’s how it works mate. Two completely different situations. King has an English mother and lived here til he was 7. Sam Walker just happened to be born here whilst his Australian father had a short stint playing here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spotty Herbert said:

If Walker had shown any interest in playing for England I’d list him but I don’t think he has. He seems to be in & around Origin extended squads regularly so I find it unlikely he’ll play for England, although Radley did exactly that I guess so you never know.

Really if you were to go down that rabbit hole there would probably be a few NRL players who are eligible for England under the parent/grandparent rule as well.

The PM game doesn’t mean anything for eligibility. Although it does show he’s getting looked at for rep selection, if he has a big start to the year he could have a sniff at NSW selection, if he wanted it of course. 

New year, new thread, old themes.  Is Sam Walker English and if he fell over in the woods with no-one to hear him, would he make a noise.

• Haha 2

Morgan Smithies and Kai Pearce-Paul both named for round 2 of the pre-season challenge.

Still no sign of John Bateman and, unlike Ryan Sutton, he is not listed as injured.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Morgan Smithies and Kai Pearce-Paul both named for round 2 of the pre-season challenge.

Still no sign of John Bateman and, unlike Ryan Sutton, he is not listed as injured.

Glad to see Smithies getting a start. Realistically if all forwards are fit he doesn’t get in the starting middle forwards for me, but could be huge off the bench. 

I’m also intrigued about Bateman - he went out to NZ with the squad last week and was training, but was announced quite early that he wouldn’t be playing. Fitness maybe? They did let him have quite an extended time back him over Christmas so could just be a couple of weeks behind. And/or it’s not worth risking him - you know what you’re getting from him at this stage I guess. 

Good to see Bailey Hodgson been given another crack starting at FB for Manly - clearly they see a lot in him and if he can remain injury free he could get game time this year.