Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

16 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Ponga’s picked up an ankle injury, hopefully Pryce’s time to shine now.

What do you think the competition is for Pryce as back up #1?

It was Lachlan Miller last year so we haven't seen many other Knights play full back and none of the first team seem a natural fit there.

In NSW Cup Pryce has been playing 6 and David Armstrong 1, is there a chance the latter will get a nod for the NRL side over Pryce?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What do you think the competition is for Pryce as back up #1?

It was Lachlan Miller last year so we haven't seen many other Knights play full back and none of the first team seem a natural fit there.

In NSW Cup Pryce has been playing 6 and David Armstrong 1, is there a chance the latter will get a nod for the NRL side over Pryce?

Hopefully Pryce gets the nod, would be terrible if he doesn’t. Fletcher Sharpe has actually been the starting fullback in the NSW cup this year with Armstrong on the wing. But Sharpe has been injured I think, so Armstrong has had the spot. No denying Armstrong is a great player and deserving of a debut but Will Pryce is just on a different level, If O’Brien has any clue of his doing he will start Pryce. But he doesn’t so who knows.

29 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Hopefully Pryce gets the nod, would be terrible if he doesn’t. Fletcher Sharpe has actually been the starting fullback in the NSW cup this year with Armstrong on the wing. But Sharpe has been injured I think, so Armstrong has had the spot. No denying Armstrong is a great player and deserving of a debut but Will Pryce is just on a different level, If O’Brien has any clue of his doing he will start Pryce. But he doesn’t so who knows.

The NSW Cup side getting best 52-6 doesn't exactly shout for any of them to be called up... but injuries may demand it.

I looked at the Knights forum and mot many are calling for Pryce's call up - have you seen much of him in the Cup, is he playing OK?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The NSW Cup side getting best 52-6 doesn't exactly shout for any of them to be called up... but injuries may demand it.

I looked at the Knights forum and mot many are calling for Pryce's call up - have you seen much of him in the Cup, is he playing OK?

He’s been playing fantastic, 3 Tries and 2 assists in 5 Matches. Watched a bit of the Canterbury game today and the whole Newcastle team was pretty dreadful, they never really had any opportunities in attack.

Not suprised not many people on a Newcastle forum are calling for his debut. SL players just don’t get the respect they deserve in Australia, so I wouldn’t look much into it. Oh well, when he is there star player carrying the team in a few years they’ll know who he is. 

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

He’s been playing fantastic, 3 Tries and 2 assists in 5 Matches.

Is 2 assists in 5 matches really fantastic for a number 6?

• Like 4

Cogger Gamble and Hastings are all pretty average . Hes just shifting them around like deckchairs . Gamble is doubly average . Pryce should be in there anyway they are way to one dimensional . Ponga may be out now so there’s no excuse really they look a pretty poor side needing more xfactor 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

He’s been playing fantastic, 3 Tries and 2 assists in 5 Matches. Watched a bit of the Canterbury game today and the whole Newcastle team was pretty dreadful, they never really had any opportunities in attack.

Not suprised not many people on a Newcastle forum are calling for his debut. SL players just don’t get the respect they deserve in Australia, so I wouldn’t look much into it. Oh well, when he is there star player carrying the team in a few years they’ll know who he is. 

If you watched the NSW Cup game it’s pretty evident why Newcastle fans aren’t calling for him. His defence is absolutely horrendous. To the point I genuinely don’t see how you can consider starting him at 6 in the NRL defending in the line. 

Im a huge fan of Pryce and think he could make top shelf FB but I would forget the whole five eight thing. Hopefully he gets a crack at FB this week if Ponga is out.

SL players not getting respect is a bit of a stretch in this scenario. Newcastle fans are loving KKP! 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, AB90 said:

If you watched the NSW Cup game it’s pretty evident why Newcastle fans aren’t calling for him. His defence is absolutely horrendous. To the point I genuinely don’t see how you can consider starting him at 6 in the NRL defending in the line. 

Im a huge fan of Pryce and think he could make top shelf FB but I would forget the whole five eight thing. Hopefully he gets a crack at FB this week if Ponga is out.

SL players not getting respect is a bit of a stretch in this scenario. Newcastle fans are loving KKP! 

He’s defence isn’t terrible, they’re are far worse in first grade then Pryce. He didn’t have the greatest game against Canterbury and made a few poor reads but it happens, and he will bounce back. 

What I mean is that no SL players have respect from default. KPP had to prove himself in the NRL when he should have already had the reputation in aus as a top quality backrower. Every English player that comes to NRL is vastly underrated.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is 2 assists in 5 matches really fantastic for a number 6?

It’s alright considering he’s playing for a pretty average team. Also from what I hear O’Brien doesn’t want Pryce to play structured footy rather play instinctive, and he’s definitely running the ball a lot more than passing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

He’s defence isn’t terrible, they’re are far worse in first grade then Pryce. He didn’t have the greatest game against Canterbury and made a few poor reads but it happens, and he will bounce back. 

What I mean is that no SL players have respect from default. KPP had to prove himself in the NRL when he should have already had the reputation in aus as a top quality backrower. Every English player that comes to NRL is vastly underrated.

It would be impossible for some of those who signed with Titans to be underrated. 

Ponga out for ‘months not weeks’ - 
Pryce’s shirt to lose, surely. Here’s where people need to remember Knights have been pretty woeful past 3 rounds, because you best believe if the next couple of results don’t go their way, there will be a lot of attention on whoever comes in for Ponga. Team list Tuesday will be interesting.

7 hours ago, AB90 said:

This is the trouble when people rhyme off a few stats to prove a point, watching games often paints a different picture.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Every English player that comes to NRL is vastly underrated.

I`d almost say the opposite, the quality we`ve had come down over the last forty plus years has led to the arrival of most new players being highly anticipated. If they don`t cut it, all well and good, that happens, but on balance there has been far more high performers than duds and the majority of fans would willingly recognise that.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

This is the trouble when people rhyme off a few stats to prove a point, watching games often paints a different picture.

Exactly so Damien, I watched the Broncos/Raiders and as always take particular notice of the English lads, Morgan Smithies as reported in this thread made 43 tackles, what is the criteria these days to be awarded a 'tick' for making a tackle as he was usually second/third man joining in to a usually secured tackle.

Looks like Ricky Stuart is seeing him as some sort of James Graham taking first recieve, but without the guile of Graham being able to take the line on and then give the ball, Morgan's role is seemingly much more passive passing the ball early.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Exactly so Damien, I watched the Broncos/Raiders and as always take particular notice of the English lads, Morgan Smithies as reported in this thread made 43 tackles, what is the criteria these days to be awarded a 'tick' for making a tackle as he was usually second/third man joining in to a usually secured tackle.

Looks like Ricky Stuart is seeing him as some sort of James Graham taking first recieve, but without the guile of Graham being able to take the line on and then give the ball, Morgan's role is seemingly much more passive passing the ball early.

Those stats for Smithies were from the Raiders match against the Titians in Round 6, not the Broncos game.

• Thanks 1

Pryce had loads of issues with his game that he needed to iron out, which is why he wasn't an automatic starter for the Giants. He's exciting but raw and it's no surprise that he's not in a position to command an NRL starting spot. 12 months development in another system will do him good to prep him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not really that surprised - guess you have to give the guy you're playing at FB in reserve grade a stab, before the guy you're playing at 6. 

I think this is fair.

Pryce has been named at full back for the Knights NSW Cup side tgis week and so if he goes well then I expect he will start to push for that NRL spot.

• Like 1

Pretty good bounce back from Dom Young today.

After a poor 20 minutes and a send off last time out and a 2 match suspension, he ran for 206 metres today, 3 line breaks and the Roosters first try in a thumping win.

• Like 2

David Armstrong was very good for the Knights this morning on debut.  And the Knights got win.

Means Will Pryce will have to be patient a little longer.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

David Armstrong was very good for the Knights this morning on debut.  And the Knights got win.

Means Will Pryce will have to be patient a little longer.

Armstrong grabbed the opportunity with both hands. A great debut!

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson