Sat 24th Feb: WCC: Wigan Warriors v Penrith Panthers KO 8pm (Sky/BBC/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 7 to 12 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 20:30

If Penrith wanted to win, then maybe they should have scored more of the 60+ points that were so confidently predicted by the NRL fanbois and the Wigan-haters.

That way, the Wardle decision wouldn't have mattered.

It's a simple game at heart, after all.

• Like 6

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A great win by Wigan, against the odds, particularly given the field dominance of Panthers.   

The last replay by the BBC showed, imho, that he didn't ground the last sec try attempt. They din't show it repeatedly, a pity as it seem clear no try.   The Wardle try, the question is whether a double movement as it was possibly on the line. The Video ruled it wasn't a double movement.   As to the rest of so called dubious decisions mentioned on here their was only one clealy incorrect and that was the ball strip.   The first try I just don't see how some claim forward as the passes also came out the hands backwards.

It was good to hear the Panthers coach give his opinions as to why they lost, they did not make the most of their opportunities.   He didn't harp on about any decisions, wish he was on this forum rather than some always looking for the negativity and nowt with the positives of Wigans efforts under the cosh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wigan and World Club Challenge trending 4th and 5th on Twitter. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not in a million years 

He was on the ground. A little tug of attention doesn't mean that he can advance the ball to score, having been grounded.

Get up and PTB, or hand-over. Never a try. He was short and on the ground tackled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

And even after lifting his arm it wasn’t on the line

Yes, it was simply a double movement. Irrelevant whether it hit the line, which it didn't look to.

Just not a try. He is tackled and on the deck. 

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If Penrith wanted to win, then maybe they should have scored more of the 60+ points that were so confidently predicted by the NRL fanbois and the Wigan-haters.

That way, the Wardle decision wouldn't have mattered.

It's a simple game at heart, after all.

Ultimately this is it isn't it.

If Penrith were as good as they all say, it wouldn't have been a contest and 4/6 point really wouldn't have mattered. It was, and that is what they ultimately don't like because it goes against the narrative.

• Like 1

I don’t think the Wardle Try was a Try, equally I don’t think the Penrith Try at the end was a Try. In both cases the Ref is bound by the guidance he’s given. He sees the ball on the line he sends it up as a Try, he sees the ball held up he sends it up as a No Try, then the VR has to conclusively see evidence that overturns the Refs decision. THATS THE GUIDLINES!

It’s the Refs call rule that’s wrong, if he hasn’t seen it he shouldn’t be guessing, just let the VR do his job unhindered. 

Im not seeing the forward pass for the 2nd Try, I’ve no issue whatsoever with that Try standing

French’s Try from the scrum was marginally offside but really close so No Try

The ball strip is one of those that happens so quickly that the Ref really can’t be blamed, he’s got to make the call as he thinks and doesn’t have the benefit of slo mo replays.

PTB penalties could have gone either way they’re 50/50 

I thought Penrith got away with slowing Wigans ruck down for the full 80 minutes. There were a couple of high shots from Penrith that should have been penalised but the Ref let them go.

In the end, Wigan looked the more inventive with the ball while Penrith dominated field position but couldn’t create enough to take advantage of it. With Wigan showing such resolute defence coupled with their better attacking play, I think they just about shaded deserving the win.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

I’m really pleased Wigan won, it’s great for British Rugby League, but that “ try “ was never a try. The ball never touched the line. In my opinion of course.  I also thought there was a forward pass in one of the earlier tries but it was only a little one and you see those all the time. Shame about the French ‘“ try “ it would have been a worthy match winner.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yeah, they were aiming to win a tight, low-scoring game off the back of their defence and oppressiveness. They were clunky in attack.

The calls that you mention gave Wigan 10 or 12 points and were the difference.

If the forward pass from Keighran is pulled up and the double movement is adjudicated on correctly, Wigan would only have the opening 4-pointer.

Wigan were the more threatening team, despite being under the pump for the full game. That is the way that Penrith play though. Every point counts, and Wigan were wrongly awarded two 4-pointers.

Credit to both teams for an absorbing, if ultimately deeply off-putting, 80 minutes of hard-fought rugby league football.

What you can do is buy a copy of a newspaper, or print off an internet page, tipex out the real score and write in your correct one. You could then fashion your own replica World Club Challenge trophy - an old clothes hanger, some loo rolls and sticky back plastic should do the job - and send it to the Clearys Panther Town Australia. Job’s a good un!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, OMEGA said:

I don’t think the Wardle Try was a Try, equally I don’t think the Penrith Try at the end was a Try. In both cases the Ref is bound by the guidance he’s given. He sees the ball on the line he sends it up as a Try, he sees the ball held up he sends it up as a No Try, then the VR has to conclusively see evidence that overturns the Refs decision. THATS THE GUIDLINES!

It’s the Refs call rule that’s wrong, if he hasn’t seen it he shouldn’t be guessing, just let the VR do his job unhindered. 

Im not seeing the forward pass for the 2nd Try, I’ve no issue whatsoever with that Try standing

The ball strip is one of those that happens so quickly that the Ref really can’t be blamed, he’s got to make the call as he thinks and doesn’t have the benefit of slo mo replays.

I thought Penrith got away with slowing Wigans ruck down for the full 80 minutes. There were a couple of high shots from Penrith that should have been penalised but the Ref let them go.

In the end, Wigan looked the more inventive with the ball while Penrith dominated field position but couldn’t create enough to take advantage of it. With Wigan showing such resolute defence coupled with their better attacking play, I think they just about shaded deserving the win.

Agree with this summary of the game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Upside #1: Australians who don't like Penrith (i.e. most of them) are happy.

Upside #2: UK fans who don't like Wigan (i.e. most of them) are unhappy.

So, what's the downside? :kolobok_wink:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Copa said:

James Graham on kayo saying the only really 100% wrong call was the strip.

He is always has a very level headed opinion. Even when I disagree with him, I still agree with him.

14 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

The thing is that the evidence of double movement is clear as day. That should nullify/over-ride the on-field ruling of suspected grounding. The video ref says that he has insufficient evidence to say that the ball doesn't touch the line, when he should have immediately knocked it back after Wardle's double movement.

The try being awarded is on the video ref misusing/being too keen to lean on the 'clear evidence' provision in the grounding protocols.

Edited by StandOffHalf

34 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s not really the UK though is it, How many Aussies in the Wigan side?

And not sll the Penrith stars play for Australia 

oh fur cough - lets just enjoy a victory over aus while we can 

• Like 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

30 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

At full speed it looked like Wardle was dragged to the line by the defenders 

This is very important and I was more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt that it was the momentum and Penrith defenders which drew that ball to the line. I have it down as a 50/50 call and I was happy with the decision of both that and the “No Try” call of the referee for the end of the match.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

oh fur cough - lets just enjoy a victory over aus while we can 

Eh? Im saying it’s not a victory of ‘Aus’.

Anyway I’m not overly patriotic and have ties to Australia, why should I automatically want a British club side to win that I don’t support?

If the British side was 100% british players you might have more of a point on the patriotism angle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1