Vegas Again/2025 and WCC

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, philipw said:

We’re in the lounge waiting to board….cant bloody wait

We`re in the lounge-room ..... and can`t bloody wait either.

No seriously, am travelling to Sydney to take my two sons out to Parramatta Leagues club for a slap-up lunch and a Las Vegas Rugby League double-header for dessert. Can`t wait.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

That’s brilliant, I can’t remember it either. 

You`re starting to sound like a 1960`s rocker, except you forgot to say "man" at the end.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, EggFace said:

Little bit worried that all we heard there was 'rugby'.

I can't help but feel that these Vegas games will be one of the best recruitment drives for Union clubs in the US that their game has seen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Off on Thursday looking at the tickets available,top tiers not open or on sale and what is available don't see more than 20000 hope i am wrong 

You are.

V’Landys has said it’s sold 33k tickets and is hoping for 43-45k.

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Off on Thursday looking at the tickets available,top tiers not open or on sale and what is available don't see more than 20000 hope i am wrong 

Just listening to the radio while driving and they said 38k have now been sold. Hopefully fans stay for both games and not just for their team.

Edited by Copa

Would recommend anyone going to come along and watch 9s at Desert Breeze Park Thursday and Friday and the Master tournament plus USA v Canada on the Friday. Should be great events!

• Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

23 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Why do the Americans use the word “Combine” for their trials? 

Because it's usually a combination of tests?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because it's usually a combination of tests?

I *think* it's originally because there were several different scouting organisations with their own trials in different parts of the country, and they were combined to form one week-long event in Indianapolis. And the Indianapolis Colts themselves think it's not a good predictor of player performance and don't take part...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

These promotional videos are just great.

Finally a coordinated, very professional marketing effort to present our game in the very best light.

I can't wait to see the games and hope it has some lasting impact over there. 

• Like 2

On 27/02/2024 at 11:36, Gav Wilson said:

I'll be the bloke in the wheelchair wearing Brad Thorn's 1996 Super League era Brisbane jersey... or a York Knights hoodie! 😅

I'll keep an eye open for you.

As much as I'd like to be in Vegas watching RL am I the only one completely unexcited by this?  It's no different to playing it in Sydney or Brisbane, i can't believe there'll be any lasting legacy from it, the American sports and entertainment market is massive and this won't create even a small ripple.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

As much as I'd like to be in Vegas watching RL am I the only one completely unexcited by this?  It's no different to playing it in Sydney or Brisbane, i can't believe there'll be any lasting legacy from it, the American sports and entertainment market is massive and this won't create even a small ripple.

It’s the opposite for me.  Seeing as it is a genuine contest for points there will be nothing held back and all clubs will be putting in.

I prefer to believe this (and the next 4 years afterwards) can be a fantastic opportunity for expansion roots.  I expect RU to try and piggyback/undermine it but imo the yanks will see through that once the comparisons are made after the event.

23 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Maybe you are unexcited because you are not where you would like to be? In Vegas watching RL?

No idea if this will lead to something or not but it's the NRLs money, yes it's a gamble, but they seem happy to spend it and have committed to 5 years so good on them.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I always find these kind of ventures exciting, whether it is the NRL, SL or an international. Big events in big stadiums are always great to see anyway but there is always a little more excitement when in new markets like this in world renowned stadiums.

I also love to see the reaction of locals to the game. Then of course there is always the hope that this spark may lead to something bigger.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JonM said:

I *think* it's originally because there were several different scouting organisations with their own trials in different parts of the country, and they were combined to form one week-long event in Indianapolis. And the Indianapolis Colts themselves think it's not a good predictor of player performance and don't take part...

Either way the term makes no sense in a leaguie context. Not that I mind - anything that bridges the gap and sells the greatest game to the Americans work for me. I have paid little attention to this, but if I had I would have wondered whether they used the ex leaguies who have/have had NFL contracts. And Danson should pop over in his private jet and sign Crosby to play second row for us. 

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

Either way the term makes no sense in a leaguie context. Not that I mind - anything that bridges the gap and sells the greatest game to the Americans work for me. I have paid little attention to this, but if I had I would have wondered whether they used the ex leaguies who have/have had NFL contracts. And Danson should pop over in his private jet and sign Crosby to play second row for us. 

But it does make complete sense to Americans and they are the intended target.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

But it does make complete sense to Americans and they are the intended target.

And crucially, the combine is starting now and is filling the NFL related tv channels this weekend. It's a good way to highlight that NRL players are strong, fast, agile etc. I suspect that NRL players are more likely to run 40 yards than most NFL players are...

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Either way the term makes no sense in a leaguie context. 

Might make sense in an Australian one - the AFL has a draft combine.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)