IMG Grading System (Many Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I've read it. I also have it open now. Answer me a few questions, please. No fluff, just answers.

Context. It's the start of the 2025 season and let's say SL and the Championship have the same clubs and grades as per what we have now re league positions and grades.

Q1. What's the point of me supporting Fev?

If we win the Grand Final, we won't be promoted.

Q2. Will i be aware of what's needed from an off-field perspective to perhaps jump into 12th in the grading league?

Apparently not.. so i just sit in the dark as a fan not knowing how things are progressing, not only at my club, but of my traditional rivals and those just above me in the grading league.

Q3. When will i be made aware of this?

Start of season? Mid-Season? After the Grand-Final?

Q4. I'm a Chairman of Fev. How the hell do i attract players?

--

An assumption of folk on this forum is that we're all tragic fans. I'm a relatively clever and educated bloke and i'm just really confused; either i'm actually quite thick or this isn't clear. Next time i go for a pint i'm going to try and explain this to people who don't care one iota about RL and one bloke that really likes Liam Farrell. They'll be baffled.

1.  I've often wondered that myself.  Support another club if you want, it's not mandatory to stick with Fev.

2. Just browse the IMG points system.

3. Published already.

4. Same as you do now.  Most of the players in the Championship want to play part-time.  They're not looking for a full time career in the game, though that's obviously not true of every player.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I would hope that after 18 months they now know quite a lot.

It says a lot for the RFL that they could not put together what is essentially a checklist of improvements and needed to pay someone to do it.

6 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I've read it. I also have it open now. Answer me a few questions, please. No fluff, just answers.

Context. It's the start of the 2025 season and let's say SL and the Championship have the same clubs and grades as per what we have now re league positions and grades.

Q2. Will i be aware of what's needed from an off-field perspective to perhaps jump into 12th in the grading league?

Apparently not.. so i just sit in the dark as a fan not knowing how things are progressing, not only at my club, but of my traditional rivals and those just above me in the grading league.

--

An assumption of folk on this forum is that we're all tragic fans. I'm a relatively clever and educated bloke and i'm just really confused; either i'm actually quite thick or this isn't clear. Next time i go for a pint i'm going to try and explain this to people who don't care one iota about RL and one bloke that really likes Liam Farrell. They'll be baffled.

For a start its not about fev but.

1. That’s up to you, if you only support your club because they might make it to SL by winning a GF, then don’t bother, extrapolating your point what’s the point in supporting a club that’s got no chance of doing that on the field? Only you can make that choice. I can’t make it for you.

2. You are aware the Grading system is there for all to see, if your club doesn’t keep its fanbase up to date with what they are doing to up their grade, that’s your clubs fault not IMG’s fault.

3. Seeing as though that currently seasons results have a bearing on the grades it doesn’t take a genius to work out final grades will be released at the end of the season.

4. If you are the chairman of a club that’s part of your remit, but you attract players by selling them what you are doing as a club, just as you do every season, even with P&R you would have this issue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BD20Cougar said:

Seems about right towards the top but becomes an absolute mess the further down you go. Highlights being a Newcastle Thunder that may not even make the startline for 2024 being above the likes of fax and Batley, and London's comically low score. 

I have nothing against Doncaster but I'd be interested to see the breakdown of how they managed to sneak into category B having been in league 1 for most of the last decade. Also wasn't expecting much for my own club and we're presumably still being hurt by our league position from 2019 when we had a points deduction.

It's based on the last 3 years. 3 consecutive finals. Also there's a lot more to the ratings than that.

21 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

--

I wouldn’t worry about it you’re not getting to any grand finals 

46 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

And, what do these IMG people know about Rugby League?

If that were even remotely true, I'd say that counts in their favour, given the way the game has been run in the past by people who know lots about rugby league. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

For a start its not about fev but.

1. That’s up to you, if you only support your club because they might make it to SL by winning a GF, then don’t bother, extrapolating your point what’s the point in supporting a club that’s got no chance of doing that on the field? Only you can make that choice. I can’t make it for you.

2. You are aware the Grading system is there for all to see, if your club doesn’t keep its fanbase up to date with what they are doing to up their grade, that’s your clubs fault not IMG’s fault.

3. Seeing as though that currently seasons results have a bearing on the grades it doesn’t take a genius to work out final grades will be released at the end of the season.

4. If you are the chairman of a club that’s part of your remit, but you attract players by selling them what you are doing as a club, just as you do every season, even with P&R you would have this issue.

What a horrifically condescending response  to what was a sensible question for any fan of any club to ask. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Good job that is the exact opposite of what his statement says.

Fair play to DH.

Hopefully Wimbledon are fine with fairy lights in the TV arc in the championship.

Minus points if they can't move them to Ebbsfleet in the off season.

Just now, binosh said:

What a horrifically condescending response  to what was a sensible question for any fan of any club to ask. 

Pretty much. Par for the course though.

16 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It says a lot for the RFL that they could not put together what is essentially a checklist of improvements and needed to pay someone to do it.

It's not really any different to what the RFL have tried to do on various occasions going back to the Framing the Future report. The difference now is that an impartial 3rd party can push through and persevere with it, and do what the RFL and clubs have previously failed to do, without the RFL or lead clubs getting the flack.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bulls2487 said:

The Bulls haven't had any financial issues for approaching 7 years.

The IMG report is based on the past 3 seasons I believe.

Featherstone didn't finish above Bulls on 2023 IMG points are based on where you finished after the playoffs so Bulls and Fev were losing semi Finalists.

The IMG stadium rules mean Bulls score highly(not the fault of the Bulls)

We also score highly on fan base.

I should hope you do with the size of a City v a small town.

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

This is great to hear and its really pleasing that they state that objective two is to expand the league:

IMG are believed to be considering an expansion when all 12 top-flight clubs reach Category A, of which 15 points is needed out of the maximum 20.

And Dwyer said: “I think we’ve said before that I don’t want to speculate on when we’d be in a position to do that, but we’ve been clear on our position.

“Objective one is to have 12 category A clubs, and objective two is to expand the size of the league. It probably has accelerated things a bit because we’re closer to having 12 Category A clubs than we thought we would be.”

There is a clear gap between the clubs in 14th and 15th on the provisional gradings. 14th-placed Bradford are one of five clubs going all the way up to 10th who score between 12 and 13 points: while 15th-placed Featherstone score fewer than 11 points. And Dwyer continued: “Some of the improvements we’ve seen from clubs over the last 12 months show that some clubs aren’t far below those seven Category A clubs, too, and it’s not unreasonable for them to have Category A status in the near future.

“I guess the answer is yes, it does accelerate it and that’s a pleasing thing to see because of how the clubs have responded to this and how they’re looking to change and grow.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/super-league-could-expand-to-14-teams-sooner-than-originally-expected-admits-img-chief#:~:text=League ball - Alamy-,Super League could expand to 14 teams sooner than originally,take full effect next year.

Whilst this is all well and good, at this rate of improvement of IMG have been taken by surprise where are all the players and extra funding going to come from for the 2 extra teams. IMG as yet have made zero impact in 18 months in the search for extra income, intact they have been positively absent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mozzauk said:

Doncaster are immediately below Sheffield. Both clubs are well run and I think it's an accurate reflection of where we can both go. I'd like to see closer ties as we both can offer genuine development in a fringe area. I think IMGs ratings reflect that

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

What's sensible about it?

Loads of people support clubs who are never, ever going to win the top prizes.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

18 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Would it have cost more or less for them to create a club auditing process internally and then hire the staff to carry out hat audit?

Would the RFL doing it directly have more or less credibility than an independent third party doing it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)