Sport England participation survey 2022-23

The latest Sport England adult sports participation survey was released today, and I have to say it does not make encouraging reading for Rugby League.

The survey shows the best picture we have of participation rates for adults in various sports and is released every year (starting in 2024-16).  It shows the participation rates for the previous 12 months and participation is defined as any person aged 16+ who took part in a sporting activity at least twice in any 28 day period.

Background and context

There is data for individual sports and other leisure activities but I think for Rugby League, the team sports is the relevant benchmark.

For the 12 months to November 2023, participation in team sports overall increase by 6% with men increasing by 8% and women flat on prior year.

Rugby League

For the 12 months to November 2023, participation in Rugby League for men fell by 4% (40,600 from 42,100) while participation for women increased by just 1% (12,200 from 12,100).  Overall this means a 3% fall and a participant number of 52,800 compared to 54,200 last year.

Comparative sports

Rugby Union is probably the most relevant comparison and men’s participation in Union increased strongly by 17% (from 157,200 to 183,700) but surprisingly fell for women by 6% (from 36,700 to 34,500).  This meant an overall increase in participation of 13% - which is very strong although the drop in women participation will be worrying for them.

Some other comparisons but less detail

Football – overall +6%

Hockey – overall +5%

Netball – women -2%

Cricket – overall -4%

Thoughts

I am very disappointed that we haven’t seen an increase in participation in Rugby League, particularly as the participation in team sports overall this year has reversed a long term downward trend.

It seems pretty clear that the initial strong growth in women’s participation in (traditionally) men’s sports has slowed down dramatically and even reversed in Union (-6%), cricket (-6%) and Football (-5%).  In that context, at least some slight growth in League is welcome.

Link

https://www.sportengland.org/research-and-data/data/active-lives/active-lives-data-tables

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The RL participation numbers show 'no change', year-on-year. The perceived drop falls within the boundaries of sampling fluctuation. Still not great news, I grant you.

My comment: I would like to know why we're not pushing the non-contact and social versions harder.

• Like 8

Really disappointing that following a home World Cup we haven't been able to drive an uplift here. But then I'm not sure the World Cup overall was inspiring for anyone.

1 hour ago, Archie Gordon said:

I wonder where they got that article from.  Amazing they picked out the exact same stats and comparison sports.

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

36 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

At least we know who you are now, Aaron.

Harsh.

• Haha 1

On 25/04/2024 at 13:37, Dunbar said:

Thoughts

I am very disappointed that we haven’t seen an increase in participation in Rugby League, particularly as the participation in team sports overall this year has reversed a long term downward trend.

It seems pretty clear that the initial strong growth in women’s participation in (traditionally) men’s sports has slowed down dramatically and even reversed in Union (-6%), cricket (-6%) and Football (-5%).  In that context, at least some slight growth in League is welcome.

The success of the women's game is overblown.  We've three or four decent squads and, not all that far down the ladder, we have Castleford dropping out of the Cheallenge Cup and Bradford conceding a game.  There are undoubtedly some talented players but there's still a lot of work needed.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

To compare to figures just released from Queensland it really illustrates how much we are up against it when we play Australia with 67,701 registered male participants and 10,311 female:

Participation across community rugby league and QRL statewide competitions grew
by five per cent in 2023.

Registration numbers exploded during the early months of the year, and by season’s end, there were 67, 701 registered club players.

Female participation increased by 10 per cent, with numbers eclipsing 10,000 for the first time.

Junior numbers climbed above 50,000, with the Central and North regions welcoming an influx of new participants.

See the full breakdown:

Queensland SEQ Central Northern
Registered participants 67,701 27,707 23,536 15,528
Percentage growth 5.18% 3.81% 7.01% 5.92%
Registered female participants 10,311 3497 3765 2866
Percentage growth 10.30% 11.40% 10.64% 10.57%
Registered junior participants 51,917 22,276 17,790 11,921
Percentage year-to-date growth 5.25% 3.45% 6.89% 6.46%
Registered senior participants 15,784 5431 5746 3607
Percentage year-to-date growth 4.96% 5.33% 7.36% 4.19%

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/qrl-ceo-ben-ikin-has-penned-a-column-to-provide-an-update-on-the-state-of-rugby-league-in-queensland/news-story/c95618b5cfcca7b4ebb4fb5647f7818f

On 25/04/2024 at 17:51, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

How much of 40k is full contact and how much of Union number is full contact?

Anecdotally I've seen touch rugby grow- that would mostly increase union number? 

Do RU still claim Touch and Tag as part of their code's numbers? Any improvement there stemming from RL effort just goes to boost the other mob's often-questionable figures.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Participation in West Cumbria is definitely on the up and up, especially at youth level. Maryport has teams at every single level for example, and have massive numbers at training. Aspatria and Flimby have restarted and are getting very good numbers, Cockermouth are going well etc.

• Like 8

On 25/04/2024 at 16:21, bamfordsbeans said:

Find some of these figures difficult to take too seriously,for example I know womens cricket in the Yorkshire region has had a dramatic increase in the last couple of years.

Yes, only anecdotal, but I know of women forming local cricket teams recently, which I'd never heard of in decades of playing and coaching. And women's football seems to be in growth, too, another sport virtually no girls played when I was growing up / a student (same thing actually). 

If football participation more widely is on increase, it would likely be small-sided games thriving - 6-a-side work leagues etc as the number of divisions in established local men's 11-a-side leagues I know is in steady decline.

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

Participation in West Cumbria is definitely on the up and up, especially at youth level. Maryport has teams at every single level for example, and have massive numbers at training. Aspatria and Flimby have restarted and are getting very good numbers, Cockermouth are going well etc.

Very encouraging to hear.

On 26/04/2024 at 15:44, Damien said:

To compare to figures just released from Queensland it really illustrates how much we are up against it when we play Australia with 67,701 registered male participants and 10,311 female:

Participation across community rugby league and QRL statewide competitions grew
by five per cent in 2023.

Registration numbers exploded during the early months of the year, and by season’s end, there were 67, 701 registered club players.

Female participation increased by 10 per cent, with numbers eclipsing 10,000 for the first time.

Junior numbers climbed above 50,000, with the Central and North regions welcoming an influx of new participants.

See the full breakdown:

Queensland SEQ Central Northern
Registered participants 67,701 27,707 23,536 15,528
Percentage growth 5.18% 3.81% 7.01% 5.92%
Registered female participants 10,311 3497 3765 2866
Percentage growth 10.30% 11.40% 10.64% 10.57%
Registered junior participants 51,917 22,276 17,790 11,921
Percentage year-to-date growth 5.25% 3.45% 6.89% 6.46%
Registered senior participants 15,784 5431 5746 3607
Percentage year-to-date growth 4.96% 5.33% 7.36% 4.19%

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/qrl-ceo-ben-ikin-has-penned-a-column-to-provide-an-update-on-the-state-of-rugby-league-in-queensland/news-story/c95618b5cfcca7b4ebb4fb5647f7818f

Here are a few thoughts and theories. Views welcome.

1 NRL success - massive crowds at some grounds - is having an impact on playing scene there.

2 Authorities have more to gain in interest by portraying the sport as thriving, so find a way (if possible) to make the figures as shiny as possible. If 1 isn't true and 2 is, do Aus do the glossing better, or is it something to do with the data  collection method?

3 League in the UK genuinely is struggling to attract new players, maybe because attendances are poor and spectator profile ageing outside half a dozen or so clubs.

4 Head injury debate is starting to impact on appeal of the sport as a playing option. I have heard 'rugby parents' say they wouldn't encourage younger child into it now, or wouldn't mind if it fell out of school curriculum.

25 minutes ago, dkw said:

Has anything changed to explain that increase?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Has anything changed to explain that increase?

Nothing specific, in Aspatria and Flimbys case the clubs restarted and are going well. Maryport has seen a resurgence, loads of kids and adults wearing merchandise etc, really big buzz around the club.

My mate coaches there and they have made a big effort to get lads involved, and it's worked so far, but not sure whats different to other times they tried the same kind of things.

Then there's Kells, Wath Brow. Egremont all in the NCL premier, all playing 'A' teams in the local league. There's some good youth work, with combined squads etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Nothing specific, in Aspatria and Flimbys case the clubs restarted and are going well. Maryport has seen a resurgence, loads of kids and adults wearing merchandise etc, really big buzz around the club.

My mate coaches there and they have made a big effort to get lads involved, and it's worked so far, but not sure whats different to other times they tried the same kind of things.

Then there's Kells, Wath Brow. Egremont all in the NCL premier, all playing 'A' teams in the local league. There's some good youth work, with combined squads etc. 

Cumberland RL has restarted its Under 18 league this season, the first time it has been rum for many season, not sure how many teams, but I believe Egremont, Kells, Wath Brow, Hensingham, Lowca and Maryport all have teams entered.

• Like 4

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Cumberland RL has restarted its Under 18 league this season, the first time it has been rum for many season, not sure how many teams, but I believe Egremont, Kells, Wath Brow, Hensingham, Lowca and Maryport all have teams entered.

Great news.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I should add to this that Egremont and Maryport are also running U13 & U15 girls teams, not sure about Cockermouth, who ran at least one girls team last year. My niece also reported today that Barrow Island girls played Lowca girls (not sure what age group) as a curtain raiser to Barrow Ladies v York Valkyrie yesterday.

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

On 25/04/2024 at 21:21, Archie Gordon said:

The RL participation numbers show 'no change', year-on-year. The perceived drop falls within the boundaries of sampling fluctuation. Still not great news, I grant you.

My comment: I would like to know why we're not pushing the non-contact and social versions harder.

On 25/04/2024 at 23:43, bamfordsbeans said:

Agree with Archies comments about not pushing the social side harder.

Going back to the womens cricket ,the number of teams in Yorkshire is 300.

This figure has trebled since 2020 and has largely been caused by softball.

On 26/04/2024 at 00:51, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

How much of 40k is full contact and how much of Union number is full contact?

Anecdotally I've seen touch rugby grow- that would mostly increase union number? 

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Do RU still claim Touch and Tag as part of their code's numbers? Any improvement there stemming from RL effort just goes to boost the other mob's often-questionable figures.

Traditionally, if an individual conducting this survey took part in touch or tag rugby, then the individual was asked separately if it was RL or RU organised before their activities were scored as participation for either code.

I remember the “League For All” branding which came with specific development officers nationwide. The management of that programme came down to individual Managers within the each RL participation region throughout the country. The programme wasn’t rolled out well in my opinion. Touch and Tag programmes have been much better managed as private enterprise style operations, similar to the very successful Try Tag Rugby.

I think the programme required its own national manager with an opportunity to deliver the programme as a quasi private venture requiring its own management and target a self sustaining financial model. Instead the programme was left to keen but inexperienced individuals to organise too many half baked Touch Rugby competitions rather than a few fantastic, sustainable ones.

17 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Are these participation numbers just based on the amount of adults playing the game or does it include juniors too?

Do the other lot still count every single student at any school that has a RU team, whether they play the sport or not?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson