John Bateman release imminent

Posted (edited)

its half a decade since he won 2nd rower of the year -signed on past reputation and hasn't looked anything special this time round in the  NRL  in fact very ordinary - what age is he? has he gone past his sell by date?

Edited by graveyard johnny

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

signed on past reputation and hasn't looked anything special this time round in the  NRL  in fact very ordinary - what age is he? has he gone past his sell by date?

He's only 30 I think. He's still a very good player, but like you say he hasn't made anything like the same impact this time in the NRL.

Just now, MZH said:

He's only 30 I think. He's still a very good player, but like you say he hasn't made anything like the same impact this time in the NRL.

why he signed for wests is a mystery to me 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Shane Richardson is travelling to the uk with a view to offload some Wests players on big contracts. So, still discussions to be had.

and there is some right garbage to get rid of - if SL teams touch the likes of charlie  staines they must be mad

Edited by graveyard johnny

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well I guess this goose will be seeing him down the MKM next year then with all the changes we've been making round here.

at the builders merchants ?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, MZH said:

He was a great fit at Canberra. Joining a basket-case like Wests was never going to let him flourish in the same way. Just like Luke Thompson at Canterbury Bulldogs.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

He wasn't great last time, was he?

In the main no. He was outstanding in the CC final in 2022 but just seemed to struggle for motivation most of the time, as though he felt he’d taken a step backwards in his career. Even back in Oz though he just seems to have lost his edge somewhat. He always had that bit of mongrel in him and was the ultimate competitor but it seems to have faded to a degree. 

• Like 2

The wests recruitment in recent years has been pretty poor , some on big money . And you look at the players who’ve gone out the door . As for Bateman , Wests was a poor fit but like Papali’i he just hasnt hit his form anything like he’s shown before . They need a big overhaul , starting at the people at the top making the decisions

He could see his playing career put in SL, top up his pension and go back to Aus. Let’s face it, why would anyone hang around the UK if you have commenting, property etc elsewhere?

• Confused 1

How reliable is the source of this story? It just seems to be an opportunity for his critics to have a go. If I were him, not only would I be nearly 50 years younger than I really am, I'd stay in the NRL. His previous return to England was, I believe for "family" reasons and maybe his current form ( and I've not seen him play this season) is a hangover from that.

As for Leeds "not touching him with a bargepole" , beggars can't be choosers, and having him on board would double the Leeds skill-base.

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Leigh? with lach lamb going the other way?

Sincerely hope that he doesn't sign for Leigh, since he returned from Canberra he has not been very good even with all the shouting on this site he was the best second row in the country, Wigan haven't missed him at all this time round, infact they look better without him.

• Like 1