Super league lower divison

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

With all the talk about clubs wanting to get into super league. I think its time to create a lower division super league with promotion and relegation into the top tier. You could have the comp televised and it would be good the these lower clubs who want to be promoted
The clubs could all be professional but with a smaller budget, all clubs would have at least 12,000 capacity stadiums (relatively new)
All clubs would have a international quota of only 4 non british or french player.

You could have a maximum of 8 clubs 14 rounds

For example,

Sheffield Eagles
Halifax
Leigh Centurions
Widnes Vikings
Toulouse Olympique
Barrow Raiders (Or a new Cumbrian club)
Paris (New club)
Featherstone Rovers (If they decide to build a new stadium)

#2 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:12 AM

A dreamer talking about a ficticious Paris team? You are ParisSurtout, I claim my £5.

Edited by HappyDave, 18 August 2010 - 12:13 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#3 nath155

nath155
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:23 AM

well this post was pointless

#4 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Henson Park Old Firm @ Aug 18 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With all the talk about clubs wanting to get into super league. I think its time to create a lower division super league with promotion and relegation into the top tier. You could have the comp televised and it would be good the these lower clubs who want to be promoted
The clubs could all be professional but with a smaller budget, all clubs would have at least 12,000 capacity stadiums (relatively new)
All clubs would have a international quota of only 4 non british or french player.

For example,

Sheffield Eagles
Halifax
Leigh Centurions
Widnes Vikings
Toulouse Olympique
Paris (New club)

14 games, how would this generate enough for the £1m turnover required for SL? Think the Championship + Championship 1 format already beats this, unless you were going to actually make it Super League 2 with P+R between the 2 SL's, then that would be 22 teams, 2 leagues of 11.

Cummins Out.

#5 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:32 AM

A name change to the second tier and everything is sorted apparently.

Except diluting the league further and adding pointless teams will only add to the lower league clubs woes and wont actually solve anything whatsoever.

I think it's time for pie in the sky ridiculous ideas like the above to be put on the back burner and we look long and hard about how to strengthen what we already have instead of unnecessarily gambling with it.

Simply calling the second tier Super League 2 wont change a damn thing and if you stick yet another french team in there and compound the problem with less fixtures you are on a complete disaster.

Are you Richard Lewis?

#6 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE (nath155 @ Aug 18 2010, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well this post was pointless

it's on par with your post yesterday.
PS swap Wakey for Fax rolleyes.gif

#7 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (Henson Park Old Firm @ Aug 17 2010, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For example,

Sheffield Eagles
Halifax
Leigh Centurions
Widnes Vikings
Toulouse Olympique
Paris (New club)

so lets change the name of Ch to Super League 2 and everything will be rosey.. the gap on and off the field will disapear, the clubs belwo will have all the money in the world to be fully pro and the tv companies will jump at it paying enough money to fund this..

errr no.

the franchising will over time help to close gaps and get the Ch clubs to a point where P&R can be opened up again or they just keep handing franchises out and conference/split it IMO.. but just changing a name and closing eyes and praying wont work.

without going into the clubs but:
You could have the comp televised:
Championship is already televised on a thursday night.. its unlikely the lower league of rugby league would get much more than this whatever it was called.. the union championship (or whatever it is called) gets less than this and most would assum they would be the first cab off the rank for this.. IMO we are lucky withthe championship coverage.
and it would be good the these lower clubs who want to be promoted:
watch thursday night.

The clubs could all be professional but with a smaller budget
They could now but the reason they are not is that turnover is not high enough.. chicken and egg

all clubs would have at least 12,000 capacity stadiums (relatively new)
Thats the aim of what they are doing now.. but look how hard it is for some super league clubs to get this done at the moment

why... the quota at the moment is less than that IIRC which means they are helping to develop british/french talent.

14 rounds but you want teams to go fully pro?? how does that work, less income but more expenditure?? bizarre

Sorry but as much as things need to change we changed it 2 years ago and it still needs toime to see how it is working.. 2012-2013 will be a good idea, how are the CHamp teams developing for the next round of liscences, how is the team kicked out of super legaue coping, how are those in super league close to being kicked out doing?? etc we change things far too often in this game at all levels.

#8 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Just after St.Helens post an £800,000 loss after reaching the Grand Final and winning the Challenge Cup.

#9 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

I think there's far too many high and mighty attitudes on this forum. The question asked is a fair question. Give the guy a fair answer. If you can't, don't bother replying.

At the end of the day there's 2 types of SL club, one with a chance one without. If there's a top 8 play off then essentially there's 8 teams with a chance. The rest are obviously not up to the standard set by the top 8.

Therefore it is feasible to create SL 1 and 2 and a top divison of 8 is not so pie in the sky.

Within 1 or 2 posts this thread descended into derision because frankly none of the posters are capable of thinking big picture.

Ok so the practicalities were not thought out in the original post but threads are far more interesting when they develop. If the guy had posted reams of text it would switch me off.

#10 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

It's been mentioned before and isn't necessarily a terrible idea but an unlikely one.

It would have to be much more than a renaming though. It would need to be two divisions of 10 sides with similar level salary caps. They would also need to have similar amounts of TV coverage.

The reality is that the lower division would be seen as a lower division. This would still create the same issues with Quins, Cats and Crusaders, and their relegations would put their existence in doubt.

The threat would be that we would simply be reducing our pool of strong teams again by dropping it 10.

#11 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Ackroman @ Aug 18 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the end of the day there's 2 types of SL club, one with a chance one without. If there's a top 8 play off then essentially there's 8 teams with a chance. The rest are obviously not up to the standard set by the top 8.

Catalans in last place this year finished 8th in 2009 and were 80 minutes from OT. This year Sydney Roosters are real NRL play off contenders yet finished bottom of the pile last season.

Off course forgot to mention Crusaders well bottom in 2009 now contenders for play off place this year.

Edited by audois, 18 August 2010 - 10:39 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#12 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

It's going to happen one day I assume. It won't happen as the OP suggests for the many reasons pointed out. An 8 team league would be awful.

Better to go for organic growth, and the time (soon I reckon) when 10 teams can be said to have reached a certain standard not too far away fom SL levels, we could say 14SL + 10CC = 24. Two leagues of 12. I'd call them the Premiership & The Championship.

Of the current CC 11 teams, you'd say there's probably 7 sides who are there/getting there at this moment, so it's not too distant a dream.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#13 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 18 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's going to happen one day I assume. It won't happen as the OP suggests for the many reasons pointed out. An 8 team league would be awful.

Better to go for organic growth, and the time (soon I reckon) when 10 teams can be said to have reached a certain standard not too far away fom SL levels, we could say 14SL + 10CC = 24. Two leagues of 12. I'd call them the Premiership & The Championship.

Of the current CC 11 teams, you'd say there's probably 7 sides who are there/getting there at this moment, so it's not too distant a dream.

Sensible post - Why does the RFL have have a long term roadmap which has this in rather than us all (outside SL) fearing for never having the chance of glory again???

#14 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 18 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sensible post - Why does the RFL have have a long term roadmap which has this in rather than us all (outside SL) fearing for never having the chance of glory again???

who says they dont have a long term road map.. ?? they are just going about getting there in a different way.

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Aug 18 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
who says they dont have a long term road map.. ?? they are just going about getting there in a different way.

[RFL forward planning mode on]Now, where did I put that fag packet?? dry.gif [RFL forward planning mode off]

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,654 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Henson Park Old Firm @ Aug 18 2010, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For example,

Sheffield Eagles
Halifax
Leigh Centurions
Widnes Vikings
Toulouse Olympique
Paris (New club)

do try and keep up
Fetherstone have a modern stadium and are staying there. Plans are in motion to upgrade it further in the near future.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 18 August 2010 - 02:36 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

I'd sooner see two equal conferences rather than a have and have nots situation. If we have 24 teams (and I'm not suggesting there are) capable of attaining enough brownie points to warrant a SLE place then why should some be more privileged than others off the field of play?

Edited by deluded pom?, 18 August 2010 - 05:21 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,911 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Ackroman @ Aug 18 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think there's far too many high and mighty attitudes on this forum. The question asked is a fair question. Give the guy a fair answer. If you can't, don't bother replying.

It wasn't a fair suggestion though it was awful, especially the 14 fixtures which would kill every club dead within the first season

#19 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,389 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Aug 18 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd sooner see two equal conferences rather than a have and have nots situation. If we have 24 teams (and I'm not suggesting there are) capable of attaining enough brownie points to warrant a SLE place then why should some be more privileged than others off the field of play?

Woah!! 12 teams of one level and 12 of a slightly lower are not 24 equal sides. We're decades away from that.

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 18 2010, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woah!! 12 teams of one level and 12 of a slightly lower are not 24 equal sides. We're decades away from that.

Woah! Five teams of one level and nine of a slightly lower are what we have now. And your point is? Read what I posted again and tell me how your reply is relevant please?

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users