Football

Quite how the FA can be all in for VAR and goal bleep watches whilst banning 3G pitches from the Premier and Football League (but not from the FA Cup or any other competitions) is one of the more bizarre technology progressions.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

41 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

In a game where the fans come second every single time, it's no biggy for most fans; you're right. It was more the damage it does to the reputation of the FAs newest trial fad. I can't see it lasting too long at all.

I don't see why some person's decision in a TV to draw lines across the pitch affects the trial or its reputation. It's quite easily explained and it has been done so. I think you are flying a kite with this one.

2 minutes ago, longboard said:

I don't see why some person's decision in a TV to draw lines across the pitch affects the trial or its reputation. It's quite easily explained and it has been done so. I think you are flying a kite with this one.

Reputational damage was done well before Hawkeye came out today and described what they wanted everyone to hear. A multi-billion pound corporation produced a play school sketch 'by mistake' and then made it available to broadcasters. They explained it was an accident, they didn't explain why it happened and how on earth it ended up being broadcast. How long do you think VAR has got now as a result? Longer, the same or shorter?

If you don't think that the shambles that took place live on TV was in any way detrimental to the trial, then you are in complete disagreement with many pundits and fans. That is of course your opinion and I am happy to concede that we are unlikely to agree on any part of it. It just makes me laugh that the FA can preside over such an embarrassing and unnecessary mess - again.

12 hours ago, Niels said:

I think some of the pundits had the impression that VAR would always be unequivocal.

Of course as league fans we know that is not the case - and it is proving the same in football. 

It really doesn't help that an awful lot of football fans and pundits couldn't tell you with certainty exactly what is necessary for a player to be offside beyond the standard two defenders/goal when ball kicked forward part ...

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, shrek said:

Turned out nice in Wigan again tonight!

Usually I always want the underdog but I felt very disappointed Man City went out. They are so attacking and amazing to watch. 

Having said that, Wigan have a home tie in the next round and it would be good if a league 1 side progressed even further.

Just watched the Wigan goal and two things immediately stuck out for me, admittedly, after a bit of (hopefully correct) research.

1. The Man City "defender" Kyle Walker, who's faux pas allowed Grigg to score, cost his club £57 million pounds last year and they're paying him £130,000 a week.

2. Had Grigg been hit by a Man City player like he was hit by his team mate Power, the first to celebrate with him, he'd have dropped to the floor like a stone and stayed down for at least 5 minutes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43121847

These are two reasons why I despise football.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Well, Burton Albion beating Barnsley tonight has certainly livened up things in the bottom few places.

Bluddy Targers looking in deep doo dah.

18  Reading 32 8 9 15 35 42 -7 33
Lost to Brentford Won against Burton A Lost to Millwall Lost to Middlesbrough Drew with Nottm Forest
19  Bolton 33 8 9 16 29 51 -22 33
Drew with Ipswich Won against Bristol City Drew with Fulham Lost to Cardiff Lost to QPR
20  Birmingham 33 8 6 19 22 49 -27 30
Won against Sunderland Won against Sheff Wed Lost to Aston Villa Lost to Millwall Lost to Brentford
21  Hull 32 6 11 15 43 50 -7 29
Lost to Sunderland Drew with Leeds Lost to Preston North End Won against Nottm Forest Lost to Middlesbrough
22  Burton A 33 7 8 18 26 59 -33 29
Lost to Reading Lost to Aston Villa Drew with Ipswich Drew with Nottm Forest Won against Barnsley
23  Barnsley 32 6 10 16 31 47 -16 28
Lost to Aston Villa Lost to Fulham Lost to QPR Drew with Sheff Wed Lost to Burton A
24  Sunderland 33 5 11 17 34 58 -24 26
Won against Hull Lost to Birmingham Lost to Ipswich Drew with Bristol City Lost to Brentford
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 2/18/2018 at 5:57 PM, Northern Eel said:

Reputational damage was done well before Hawkeye came out today and described what they wanted everyone to hear. A multi-billion pound corporation produced a play school sketch 'by mistake' and then made it available to broadcasters. They explained it was an accident, they didn't explain why it happened and how on earth it ended up being broadcast. How long do you think VAR has got now as a result? Longer, the same or shorter?

If you don't think that the shambles that took place live on TV was in any way detrimental to the trial, then you are in complete disagreement with many pundits and fans. That is of course your opinion and I am happy to concede that we are unlikely to agree on any part of it. It just makes me laugh that the FA can preside over such an embarrassing and unnecessary mess - again.

It's yesterday's news, or even further back. Any rational adult can accept mistakes and avoid jumping to absolute conclusions. I'm in agreement with the fans tho whom I've spoken. Yes, there are people who for some reasons take these things far too seriously but most ain't bothered and see the humour involved. The pundits, of course, like to stoke a bit of discussion but they are soon on to the next to the next faux controversy.

Whether technology, beyond simple stuff about the ball crossing the line, is judged to be an overall benefit to soccer, we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

So little old Accy Stanley beat Luton away yesterday to go top of League 2.

Pinch me because I'm starting to believe we're gonna go up which would be unbelievable given our budget and small fanbase!

Screenshot_20180310-175721.png

• Like 2
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

10 hours ago, Vambo said:

So little old Accy Stanley beat Luton away yesterday to go top of League 2.

Pinch me because I'm starting to believe we're gonna go up which would be unbelievable given our budget and small fanbase!

Screenshot_20180310-175721.png

I hope Accrington go up. They have been consistently good for the last 3 years - the play off defeat which contributed to the subsequent slow start last year excepted. 

They have a good lead now so hopefully will be promoted.

• Like 1

The former England women's team manager seems like a nice chap

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43521165

Meanwhile, England fans show off our country in its best light by marauding drunk around Amsterdam's red light district and booing the Dutch anthem.

Edited by tim2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• 4 weeks later...

Gainsborough Trinity (established in 1873) were relegated from the National North league yesterday. It is the first time they have ever been promoted or relegated in their entire history.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Gainsborough Trinity (established in 1873) were relegated from the National North league yesterday. It is the first time they have ever been promoted or relegated in their entire history.

There's a well actually about that ... they were elected to the Football League and then failed re-election. It's a question of semantics about whether that counts.

An alternative (via twitter) is Desborough Town who joined Division One of the Northamptonshire League in 1896 and who have never left it ... although it is now called the United Counties League Premier Division.