Johnny Vegas - Direct & to the Point (Merged Threads)

Ha ha, brilliant.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

To honest when I initial saw the link I was sceptical, Vegas isn't likely to alter the League stereotype to those outside of the sport, however that was excellent.

Very emotional and spoken from the heart, not to mention hilarious. Using the players too was a good move. Time to start creating and ising the characters in the game. 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Excellent stuff I wonder if  it'd end up on the cross code forum? - the dirty word and other sports section fantastic!

Is it, really?

Maybe its just me, but I think its awful.

If it is intended to encourage fans of other sports to watch Rugby League, the last thing that's likely to appeal to them is a bloke shouting at them telling them their own favourite sport is garbage. 

Imagine that being done in reverse. The people praising this would be fuming that someone was disparaging Rugby League.

I really enjoyed it, but as a fan then I would do.  I agree with John that it is hardly likely to win over others, and, whilst I loved the passion, on show it doesn't do much for our image of a northern oiks game.  Also, was that a saints fan mentioning the grind? Cunningham must be pleased.

I don't think 'Come and watch Rugby League, it doesn't quite compare with your usual sport, but we think you'll enjoy it all the same', would have the same impact nor cause any sort of debate than the Vegas ad.

Besides it's clearly a joke, if football or cricket or even figure skating fans are so precious, nothing will encourage them to give League a go. 

57 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Imagine that being done in reverse. The people praising this would be fuming that someone was disparaging Rugby League.

Do I remember a union ad with a dog peeing on a football or not?

Let the others fume. This or any ads like it are not designed to bring in fans of other sports. It's designed to amuse Rugby fans and enthuse them for the new season.

And it worked.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Is it, really?

Maybe its just me, but I think its awful.

If it is intended to encourage fans of other sports to watch Rugby League, the last thing that's likely to appeal to them is a bloke shouting at them telling them their own favourite sport is garbage. 

I'm with you 100%. It's makes me cringe whenever RL folk rundown and trash other sports like Union, cricket and football(which I all happen to like) while sticking their chests out and telling everybody how great RL is. For me it makes us look very insecure about our sport and like we have a chip on our shoulders. It's like a sport loving and non RL friend said to me, if RL is so great then why is it only played in certain parts of the north and half a dozen countries.

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Then they should be.

Exactly. Otherwise what's the point. It's not like RL is in a position to alienate fans of other sports is it.

Archived