Lo & Behold!

Look what's out this Friday... (or Thursday if you want the online edition).

Scroll down for a taster of what's inside and more details on where to get it.

rlw_dec2017_large.png

The World Cup is providing us all with plenty of talking points, just as it always does and just as it always should, as the sport’s biggest international showcase which only comes around once every four years.

How is the 2017 tournament shaping up? Martin Johnston, the Communications Director of RLWC2013 offers us an expert insight into the unique challenges of promoting international Rugby League to the masses.

On the field, Tonga produced one of the biggest shocks of the group stages, toppling previous winners New Zealand on their own turf before Fiji topped that, making history by dumping the luckless Kiwis out of the competition at the quarter final stage in a tryless nailbiter. The colour and enthusiasm on display in Port Moresby as Papua New Guinea revelled in home advantage for the first time ever in a World Cup has dazzled us all too, with one of our cover stars Garry Lo leading the way. He is amongst the ten players we have picked out as the break out stars of the tournament so far. Take a look and see if you agree with our choices. 

Off the field, we talk to outgoing RLIF CEO David Collier about some of the big challenges facing the sport, not least its ongoing battle for official recognition by the global sports authorities. We assess the impact on Italy, Lebanon and USA of their early exits from the World Cup and ask why the northern hemisphere nations struggle to compete with their southern counterparts on the international stage. 

On the home front, we chat to Gabriel Hamlin, the young Aussie hoping to make a big impression at Wigan next season, and also to Steve Price, the new Warrington coach as he plots a path to success for the Wolves. Jamie Ellis talks about his return to Castleford Tigers, and we visit Leigh Centurions to find out how the club plans to bounce back quickly from the disappointment of relegation. 

The sudden disappearance of Oxford and Gloucestershire All Golds from League 1 and the news they are to be replaced by a new Bristol team in 2019 caught many people by surprise. We try to make sense of what’s going on.

There’s plenty more besides in another packed issue that will keep you entertained all the way through to the World Cup final and beyond.

We hope you enjoy it!

Rugby League World - Issue 440 (Dec 2017) is in shops Friday 24th November. Digital Edition available online from Thursday 23rd November - download the Rugby League World app or go to www.totalrl.com/rlw. Also available by post, single copies or subscriptions delivered in the UK and worldwide - order now at www.totalrl.com/shop

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What's with the front cover? Where's all the club stuff? :ph34r:

It's a test to see if those who grumbled about Leeds being on the front cover of the last one will go out and buy this lovely, colourful wholly international one!

Never let it be said we don't listen to the feedback we get!! ;)

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's a test to see if those who grumbled about Leeds being on the front cover of the last one will go out and buy this lovely, colourful wholly international one!

Never let it be said we don't listen to the feedback we get!! ;)

Count me in!

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not convinced Lo is all that tbh. A strong, powerful and elusive runner but makes too many mistakes and is suspect under the high ball. Be interesting to see how he fares in SL next year but I’m not convinced he’ll cut it

I'd like to read some of the posts reacting to Cas signing Greg Eden last year. Mine included :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I'd like to read some of the posts reacting to Cas signing Greg Eden last year. Mine included :laugh:

Yeah, fair point although he had done ok in NRL. If Egodo and Lo ever like up on the same flank, they will take some stopping!

33 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not convinced Lo is all that tbh. A strong, powerful and elusive runner but makes too many mistakes and is suspect under the high ball. Be interesting to see how he fares in SL next year but I’m not convinced he’ll cut it

Agree. He won't be up against part timers now. He will offer some effectiveness attacking but is quite limited defensively. 

7 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Agree. He won't be up against part timers now. He will offer some effectiveness attacking but is quite limited defensively. 

He's too short IMO. I expect that will be exploited mercilessly by teams throughout the season. But Mr Powell knows more than I do so I guess we'll see

Can I ask a question please John, even though I have asked a similar one before?

I spoke with your colleague about Readly and he explained that it isn't cost effective to include Rugby World there.

Is it the same for Rugby League Express?

I ask again because I have noticed that Rugby Union, Cricket and football have weekly newspapers there. I muat admit I do read them and sometimes it gets me interested in some of the issues. 

Currently there are no league publications on Readly.

I wondered if having league express on Readly might encourage people to follow our game too? Though I appreciate that you have to consider cost first.

Sorry for raising this again - it was just that with seeing the other publications I wondered if anything had changed.

13 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Thank you I didn't know that.  The RLW editor is a closet Reggae Warrior perhaps (has he got the hair?)

The RLW editor can confirm he does not have the hair :(

Archived