Charnley and Sarginson exits confirmed

Disappointing, especially losing Charnley from the game altogether. But knowing he has the same agent as Sam & Joel Tomkins (Andi Peters) somewhat inevitable.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Disappointing, especially losing Charnley from the game altogether. But knowing he has the same agent as Sam & Joel Tomkins (Andi Peters) somewhat inevitable.

Can you pass on the agents name to Matty Smith, please?

That isn't the ex Chikdrens BBC presenter is it?

No matter how good we think Super League is, no matter how profitable and financially stable the RFL say it is, we will continue to lose our best players to Australia until we get some serious money in our game.

"Super League now is in better shape than for some time. We want to attract rational investment more than emotional investment". - Wood.

As far as Wigan is concerned -they will be OK.Their conveyor belt of talent with perhaps the odd signing will keep them at the top.This is perhaps more of a comment on the overall quality of the league at the moment.

If you look at the current Wigan and Saints teams in comparison to recent years-the fact that they are both near the top says a lot of their fellow teams. 

Charnley and Sarginson have not kicked on from performances 2 years ago-but the fact that they are both going to teams lower down the pecking order and lower profile and crowds says a lot of our current salary cap.

In Halifax their is currently deep debate as to whether or not the teams soccer and RL teams should go full time against their current part time status.The general consensus is to stay as they are so as not go bust.

The same arises with SL clubs-are we happy to be an affordable second rate competition or do we want to gamble and compete?

No matter how good we think Super League is, no matter how profitable and financially stable the RFL say it is, we will continue to lose our best players to Australia until we get some serious money in our game.

One more of ours going over there will be one more of theirs coming over here.

The question is will fans want to watch mainly second rate Aussie sides?.

The question of you is where is the serious money coming from? 

In Halifax their is currently deep debate as to whether or not the teams soccer and RL teams should go full time against their current part time status.The general consensus is to stay as they are so as not go bust.

The same arises with SL clubs-are we happy to be an affordable second rate competition or do we want to gamble and compete?

Where is the money coming from to "gamble"?

As has been said Wigan will be fine without either.. they've probably got a bit of cash free and could potentially use that to bring in someone of a decent calibre to replace one of them if need be. Gildart is probably seen as as good an option at centre as Sarginson and i tend to agree.

Sarginson i feel has great potential, but hasn't kicked on from a couple of years ago, so maybe a new environment and a greater challenge is what he needs.

Always sad to see a player go to union, but Charnley is easily replaceable, and wouldn't be surprised to see Wigan make a move for McGilvary at the Giants.

Personally i think we'll see them both back in the UK playing RL by the end of the contracts they've just signed.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I am not sure that Sarginson's position tells us that much. We picked Sarginson up from London, who in turn picked him up from Hemel, iirc. We exercised our option to keep him this year, but he made it clear long ago that he wanted to go to the NRL. He is ok, and may improve in the NRL, and good luck to him. But no one tunes in or turns up in the hope of watching him play, except perhaps his immediate family. We have players who can step up to fill that breach. The Wigan statement, which is far more relevant than the BBC one quoted, makes it clear both that it is unexpected and business as usual.

Charnley is more galling, in that on form, as he was the other night, he is an exciting player, and came through the ranks. From England's perspective, we have perhaps 6/7 wingers ahead of him. He has lost his way at times as a person and a player, and not kicked on, but I would much rather see him in our game, than watching kicks fly over his head, and collapsing scrums all winter. There may well have been a gap between our view of his value and his own. The Wigan article alludes to his agent's influence, and makes it clear he can come back once he realises how much of a step down his agent has sold him.

Losing your most valuable assets is never a good thing. Their loss reduces the British RL talent pool, which is not very big to start with, by two regardless of where their replacements come from. The larger the talent pool, generally, the higher the standards of the sport.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Could be a good move for Sarginson. The Titans are only 1 or 2 good players off being a regular finals team. Depending on who else they sign - and they have money - for 2016, they could have a very good year.

Charnley looks nailed on to be another convert who flops. Probably reappear in a year or so for Salford or Widnes.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Always sad to see a player go to union, but Charnley is easily replaceable, and wouldn't be surprised to see Wigan make a move for McGilvary at the Giants.

When it first came out that Charnley had signed the Sale contract a few weeks ago, Justin Carney's name was the one that was immediately mentioned. Rumour has it Wigan are happy to pay a fee to Castleford for him.

And the list gets bigger.

Super League had stood still whilst the NRL and RU have made giant strides forward. We either need to push for more money from investors (Sky, sponsors, etc), or accept that SL is now a feeder competition and come up with a new plan to keep players playing rugby league at the top in this country.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I think this is a good move for Sarginson. He has stagnated in recent years but he definitely has the ability to move up another level and the Titans seem to be finally getting their act together off the field while continuing to defy expectations on it. We're getting closer to having an entire England team playing in the NRL.

I can't see any reason why Charnley won't be a success* at Sale. Winger is probably the easiest position to code-swap and it's not like he's moving miles from home like Josh Jones. The more likely scenario is that he gets bored, but as Chris Ashton proves, show a player enough money and he'll get over the boredom. I think if Charnley can manage to fly under the radar and avoid the kind of media scrutiny that Burgess had to put up with, he could well find himself in the England set up before long.

As has been said, Wigan always seem to have a replacement ready whenever someone leaves so I doubt they will suffer too much. The real problem is the knock-on effect on the smaller clubs who would have picked up someone like Charnley in the past once the latest wonderkid takes his place. As Parky says, this position will now be filled by an Aussie or a poorer quality English player, diluting the SL talent pool further.

*By any reasonable standard. I know some converts are considered failures by Union despite making the England team.

After reading the Wigan fans opinions of Charnley last couple of years with attitude etc, seems he will get paid a big chunk more for doing a whole lot less and seems that would suit him down to the ground. The loss of Sarginson will do wigan no harm at all for me he is a headless chicken, works hard taking the ball in but couldnt feed his winger, couldnt pass as a fullback only position i think would suit him is to put a couple of stone on and move into the back row

The loss of Sarginson will do wigan no harm at all for me he is a headless chicken, works hard taking the ball in but couldnt feed his winger, couldnt pass as a fullback only position i think would suit him is to put a couple of stone on and move into the back row

I feel like there is a tendency to make players out to be worse than they is after they leave. Sarginson is a great player and the bit in bold is particularly unfair I think. With a year of NRL experience under his belt I think England will be in a great position coming into the world cup with Sarginson, Reed and Watkins competing for the centre positions.

Although this is disappointing especially losing a player to Union it's not the end of the world. Wigan lost burgess and replaced him with manfredi and they'll replace sarginson with gildart. They'll probably replace charnley with a signing rather than promote from within but no doubt they'll be another talented 3/4 coming through the Wigan academy ranks. There always is.

After reading the Wigan fans opinions of Charnley last couple of years with attitude etc, seems he will get paid a big chunk more for doing a whole lot less and seems that would suit him down to the ground. The loss of Sarginson will do wigan no harm at all for me he is a headless chicken, works hard taking the ball in but couldnt feed his winger, couldnt pass as a fullback only position i think would suit him is to put a couple of stone on and move into the back row

Wigan will miss Charnley a lot more then Sarginson. To me, I'm not that bothered that Sarginson is going. He is a good player but he struggles with some of the basics like passing. When he runs with the ball he looks a world beater but that really is his only strong point, maybe better coaching in the NRL will make him a better player. Charnley seems to be getting back to his best and I think he will be a huge loss.

The Australian NBL has been going for 40 years despite every player and probably every fan knowing that the best players will head to the USA. People still follow teams, go to games, sponsors still get involved and, considering the very, very obvious difference in standards, still gets crowds around the 5K mark and 10K-15K for finals.

Players come and go and they just find someone else.

Archived