Football

16 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Bradford City has sold 14,000 "eary bird" season tickets at £198 apiece. £2.7 million income.

Fantastic for a League 2 club.

I still struggle to believe the turnaround in Bradford City attendances and wider support - and that is came about *after* the Premier League fallout.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I still struggle to believe the turnaround in Bradford City attendances and wider support - and that is came about *after* the Premier League fallout.

It's interesting that they continue to do so. 

They have for many years offered cheap season tickets at good deals. It is also a large city and a lot of the support comes from smaller towns in the area too. 

We went last season and my famiily from abroad were amazed they have such support for a 4th tier team. 

They seem to be able to maintain their fanbase whatever the division. 

Getting Mark Hughes as manager has also increased interest for this season. 

• Like 1

Wayne Rooney has parted with Derby County. I haven’t followed his travails at the club that closely but from what I did observe, he stuck to the task and with some class. I wish DC the best going forward.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

In this photo, England are playing Netherlands.

image.jpeg.e85d8ba0829dc6cd8af00cf9f665c0b3.jpeg

If you didn't see it on ITV4 last night, then you might be surprised to learn which team is which.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

In this photo, England are playing Netherlands.

image.jpeg.e85d8ba0829dc6cd8af00cf9f665c0b3.jpeg

If you didn't see it on ITV4 last night, then you might be surprised to learn which team is which.

Serious we were in the local here in NL. Three screens showing the game but there was a private party also in so no sound from the TV.

I said to some Dutch mates thats a smart England shirt with the blue and red flashes.

It was not until we had a close up that every one realised we were all shouting for the wrong sides. This carried on as other people came in the bar.

Very very confusing.

Personally I thought  a great mind games from Sarina Wiegman who knows how win in "Oranje".

PS won 20 quid of the daft cloggers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yanto said:

Serious we were in the local here in NL. Three screens showing the game but there was a private party also in so no sound from the TV.

I said to some Dutch mates thats a smart England shirt with the blue and red flashes.

It was not until we had a close up that every one realised we were all shouting for the wrong sides. This carried on as other people came in the bar.

Very very confusing.

Personally I thought  a great mind games from Sarina Wiegman who knows how win in "Oranje".

PS won 20 quid of the daft cloggers.

Have to say, I wouldn't put it past Wiegman to have done something like this just to unsettle the Dutch. She seems particularly good at the mental side of things.

With regards to the kit, I was thankfully prepared as I saw the Lionesses' launch of new home and away shirts a few weeks ago. If you want a heart attack, go to the FA store and look at the prices.

Have to say, I wouldn't put it past Wiegman to have done something like this just to unsettle the Dutch. She seems particularly good at the mental side of things.

With regards to the kit, I was thankfully prepared as I saw the Lionesses' launch of new home and away shirts a few weeks ago. If you want a heart attack, go to the FA store and look at the prices.

No longer buy from UK sources.

My soccer kits come from China and from 15 -25 euro a shot with all the tags and logos  I would never dream of paying full rip of price again. 

Was in Hamar Norway last year wearing a "Chinese" Man United top and this guy wearing a 150 quid United replica asked me where I got my " Players issue" from ..thats how authentic it was.

Even started buying my South Sydney shirts and NSW shirts from China.

2023 United top arrived yesterday...woops not launched till 1st July 

• Like 1

WOOOOOO JUST LOOKED AT THE PRICES !!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, yanto said:

WOOOOOO JUST LOOKED AT THE PRICES !!!!!!!!

You think you're ready - but, trust me, you are not ready.

Glad to see Erik Ten Hag has hit the ground running.  The signings pouring into the so called richest club is amazing.  There's..er...um..and erm...what'sisname.....🤣

Meanwhile Daniel Levy has finally realised that doing your transfer business on August 31st isn't clever. Perhaps Conte threatening to walk away has something to do with it.

Pep meanwhile is dismantling his forward line, Sterling and Jesus are possibly going, has Pep flipped? Probably not.

Edited by HawkMan

Remember when Staines Town accused their landlords of murder?

Well, about that ...

• Like 1

The World is  turning upside down!

First, bloody hell, Spurs, Richarlison signs, first day July and Spurs have 5 signings, Conte has done what no one else has done, made Daniel Levy change his whole transfer policy.

Secondly,  FIFA Semi- Automated Offside Technology 

New technology in for Qatar, which IMO is a step too far,  video below explains it, but basically sensor in ball sends signals out to monitor EVERY player  500 yes 500 times a second and determines exact millisecond when ball kicked and other players positions in relation to it. Perhaps Platini and Blatter were right,  once technology comes in there's no stopping it....ever.  It was probably naive to think that goal line tech would be the end of it as we were first told, now it seems VAR isn't enough. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62001959

Thirdly, Champions League comes to BBC for expanded competition from 2024. Amazon showing live game on Tuesday  all other rights retained by BT.

CL and EPL easily most watched football comps in world and no sign of that changing despite naysayers claiming interest is fading and no one cares anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61995080

Edited by HawkMan

23 hours ago, HawkMan said:

CL and EPL easily most watched football comps in world and no sign of that changing despite naysayers claiming interest is fading and no one cares anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61995080

Interestingly (ish), the value of the deal is around £1.5bn (from the three) for 189 matches versus £1.2bn (from just BT) for the current 125 games.

The lack of interest (or ability) for Sky to bid continues to surprise me.

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Interestingly (ish), the value of the deal is around £1.5bn (from the three) for 189 matches versus £1.2bn (from just BT) for the current 125 games.

The lack of interest (or ability) for Sky to bid continues to surprise me.

Without the Premier League Sky are stuffed, the sports wing anyway, don't know if the whole of Sky depends on EPL. So I reckon they're concerned about future challenges to their near monopoly of EPL coverage in the UK. Amazon and streaming services are a threat for the future , or perhaps they're waiting for RL SL1 and SL2 reorganisation,  and will fling a billion at it. 😜

Have you seen the video on Sky regarding this semi automated Offside Technology? It's ridiculous IMO, the game's not supposed to be refereed by robots.

Edited by HawkMan

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Without the Premier League Sky are stuffed, the sports wing anyway, don't know if the whole of Sky depends on EPL. So I reckon they're concerned about future challenges to their near monopoly of EPL coverage in the UK. Amazon and streaming services are a threat for the future , or perhaps they're waiting for RL SL1 and SL2 reorganisation,  and will fling a billion at it. 😜

Have you seen the video on Sky regarding this semi automated Offside Technology? It's ridiculous IMO, the game's not supposed to be refereed by robots.

I really don't see the problem. One of the main frustrations with VAR, is the time they take and still end up making a very contentious decision. It's much like in RL when they take ages over obstruction.

This is an attempt to turn offsides into something more akin to goal-line technology. I've heard very few complaints about goal-line technology.

I've very little time for the argument that officials making mistakes is part of the fun.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've very little time for the argument that officials making mistakes is part of the fun.

when the referee takes a tumble its the best bit of the match- hilarious 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

52 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I really don't see the problem. One of the main frustrations with VAR, is the time they take and still end up making a very contentious decision. It's much like in RL when they take ages over obstruction.

This is an attempt to turn offsides into something more akin to goal-line technology. I've heard very few complaints about goal-line technology.

The two issues I have it with it remain the same as now.

Why no “umpire’s call” given we know that there are margins of error?

Are we going to have players with big noses offside because a nostril is the wrong side of the red line?

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The two issues I have it with it remain the same as now.

Why no “umpire’s call” given we know that there are margins of error?

Are we going to have players with big noses offside because a nostril is the wrong side of the red line?

Leave my nostrils out of it!

Signed, Robbie Fowler

😉

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

27 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think Tarkowski is a very good pick up for Everton but I do wish players would stop saying they’ve come to win things , it’s such a wind up . 

He is going to win things at Everton,  possibly as many as 6 things, Premier League games next season. 

9 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

He is going to win things at Everton,  possibly as many as 6 things, Premier League games next season. 

Nice one , 60 million for Richarlison is funnier 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Are The New Saints Jeff’s favourite side Total Network Solutions ?

They are.

The sponsorship ended and they wanted to keep the initials so they had a contest of some kind and 'The New Saints' won.

I can't remember if that was before or after they merged with Oswestry Town to become ... TNS.

Respect to the new saints, but the old saints are my boys. And we're signing some good players. Bazunu the goalkeeper from City, the defender from the German club (need to google his name), maybe the Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo. Yes, we'll still be ###### (relative to the good teams), but maybe we'll stay up. And that's all I care about. We've been ###### for most of my lifetime as a fan. It doesn't matter. I just like being in the Premier League. If you want us to be better, then introduce an NFL style system so that's it fair. Otherwise, we'll always be ######, until a Billionaire comes along. What have we won in my lifetime as a fan? Johnstone's Paint once. Against Carlisle. Thing is, that's more than most teams and we're better off than fans from most clubs, so I'm not complaining. The big boys (City, Liverpool, United, etc.) should remember that they're only good because they get to beat ###### like Southampton every week. If we packed it in because we rarely win, you'd be nothing too. You're standing on the shoulders of giants. Respect the pyramid.