The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

Does anyone (who is old enough) :) remember when they went to 2 divisions in the early 1970s. Was there as much bickering back then as there is now?

If the internet had been invented back then, almost certainly!

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We couldn't have done because there were no clubs who met minimum standard to replace them. All four CC clubs didn't meet the fans criteria of 2,500, one club had a poor business plan, one club was in financial difficulties and another had £800,000 liabilities. Only two had fourth rate academies the RFL classed as "weak".

There cannot be a "strong licensing system" when only 4 clubs met the requirements in full. The reason clubs got away with being poor in Superleague was the replacements were even poorer. We seem to maintain the myth that the only reason clubs didn't improve themselves was that they were lazy and it just needed them to be "strongly managed".

It would be unlikely a part time club could step into SL as an equal, that is one reason for the changes - allowing a failed club to remain in SL is a joke

I have just read the report in the Examiner, I don't know exactly how accurate it is ( no reason it shouldn't be ),  It seems to me this is far from being a done deal in the long term, And in Rugby league long term is usually about 18 months.

I have been wondering what the SL clubs are getting out of this, I can see the arguments for some of them being able to opt for a less spending strategy, But some of them clearly won't be doing that, so what has been ceded to them  to vote this thing through.

There is the thing about playing the better clubs more often, but that may be nullified by it becoming stale, and SL could have just cut some strugglings clubs adrift if that was what they wanted.

There is a lot more to come out of this yet, I can't believe the six clubs who were against this earlier , have just gone away , thought about it and just plain changed their minds, It's almost as though they have voted it through knowing something else is in the pipeline,  Maybe a better TV deal or something.

They have been saying all along that there is not enough money to run SL properly ( and i agree ) but this deal doesn't seem to give them enough extra to have had such a big change of heart, One thing is certain none of them are fools when it comes to money, And i don't believe any of them have voted for this without knowing all the details, ( which are to be published later apparently )

I just have a feeling this is a stepping stone to something.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Is this a record for the Main Forum 200 Pages?

Behave, Parky's managed that on his own in a few threads.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Am I the only one here who's starting to lose the will to live? We can say what we like (which we are!), but the decision's been made and there would appear to be nothing we can do about it. Now - shall I have a tub of Prozac or a gallon of wood alcohol with my tea to numb the pain?

Maybe everyone wants to be the last poster, This might put me in with a shout, Personally i hope it's Parky i reckon he has contributed most.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Am I the only one here who's starting to lose the will to live? We can say what we like (which we are!), but the decision's been made and there would appear to be nothing we can do about it. Now - shall I have a tub of Prozac or a gallon of wood alcohol with my tea to numb the pain?

Nonsense !

We need to discuss what should happen in the next league restructure. ;)

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Totally irreverent water muddying,   It does not take into account: available talent pool, funding, distribution, and so on and so on and so on.   It suited them will enough for over a decade, things changes?

I have a feeling that had the Swiss experiment been a roaring success you would have been one of the first to use it as an example!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

We can play this out all night Griff but you know there will always be a Fev fan in the wings to quote a post from page 56 :D So we may as well call a truce.

You're wrong there.  Mi tea's nearly ready.

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Am I the only one here who's starting to lose the will to live? We can say what we like (which we are!), but the decision's been made and there would appear to be nothing we can do about it.

The decisions will continue to the next meeting, the clubs are still split and in time this decision may well change again. So nothing's set in stone forever.

I have just read the report in the Examiner, I don't know exactly how accurate it is ( no reason it shouldn't be ),  It seems to me this is far from being a done deal in the long term, And in Rugby league long term is usually about 18 months.

I have been wondering what the SL clubs are getting out of this, I can see the arguments for some of them being able to opt for a less spending strategy, But some of them clearly won't be doing that, so what has been ceded to them  to vote this thing through.

There is the thing about playing the better clubs more often, but that may be nullified by it becoming stale, and SL could have just cut some strugglings clubs adrift if that was what they wanted.

There is a lot more to come out of this yet, I can't believe the six clubs who were against this earlier , have just gone away , thought about it and just plain changed their minds, It's almost as though they have voted it through knowing something else is in the pipeline,  Maybe a better TV deal or something.

They have been saying all along that there is not enough money to run SL properly ( and i agree ) but this deal doesn't seem to give them enough extra to have had such a big change of heart, One thing is certain none of them are fools when it comes to money, And i don't believe any of them have voted for this without knowing all the details, ( which are to be published later apparently )

I just have a feeling this is a stepping stone to something.

It may be a case of the potential broadcaster(s)really seeing the outstanding merits of this particular system and as such are willing to battle for the rights to pay handsomely for it to be implemented.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

I think it is worth stating that at this point there isn't any extra money to share until the SL clubs have met next week and agreed to allow some of "their" money to be used this way.   This was the sticking point when 6 clubs walked out prior to the World Cup and that is still very much up in the air.

If the SL clubs don't agree then the Championship clubs will receive exactly what they got this year from central funds - £90k.

Very interesting point.

To be honest, it is "their" money. Sky pay for the right to broadcast SL matches, no-one pays to broadcast Championship matches. Even under the new format for 2015 it's doubtful Sky will show any games from the Championship during the regular season, and quite probably just one or two from the middle eight section. If SL generates the money, and we know they need every penny of as it is, then why should they give it to the Championship clubs?

Edited by nadera78

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

What doesn't look great was that the 3 x 8 proposal was only passed by 50% of the Superleague clubs. 7 for, 6 against and 1 abstention.

13 voted for a reduction to 12 clubs with against 1 abstention.

What will the bottom 8 play for other than avoiding relegation? The Not Really As Good As The League Below Superleague Challenge Vase.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

My understanding is that the structure has been agreed, the finances haven't. .....

No but the structure got a majority vote so presumably those who voted 'Aye' will have done so in the knowledge that funding has to be appropriate. In view of this it's reasonable to expect that the same majority will vote accordingly when the SL clubs debate the finance issues.

Edited by Terry Mullaney

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

We can play this out all night Griff but you know there will always be a Fev fan in the wings to quote a post from page 56 :D So we may as well call a truce.

there will always be a Fev fan

Now you've depressed me.  

Four legs good - two legs bad

There can be no last poster.  Just a bloke who made the latest post. ;)

Ahem...It might be a lady

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

No but the structure got a majority vote so presumably those who voted 'Aye' will have done so in the knowledge that funding has to be appropriate. In view of this it's reasonable to expect that the same majority will vote accordingly when the SL clubs debate the finance issues.

You're expecting SL clubs, who we all know need every penny of central funding they can get their hands on, to look at the GBP2.6million saved by dumping 2 clubs and willingly vote to hand that money over to Championship clubs? One or two might, as a way of hedging their bets in case of being relegated at the end of this year, but I can't see a majority doing it.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959