22 Feb: WCS: St Helens v South Sydney Rabbitohs KO 7pm (TV)

Who will win?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • South Sydney Rabbitohs by 1 to 6 points
    • South Sydney Rabbitohs by 7 to 12 points
    • South Sydney Rabbitohs by 13 points or more

Home advantage and two competitive games will tip the scales in Sts favour.

I think Sts are big enough in the forwards to match Souths

Walmsley, Amor, Masoe and Greenwood are all big blokes and will match Burgess, Grant etc

No Walsh is a blow but the quality of Lomax's linking into the line will help to alleviate the loss of their key halfback

James Roby v Issac Luke should be an interesting match-up, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Only relevant game really. Nothing wrong with the original format, Sts by 8

Yes, but I'm looking forward to all three anyway! :) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saints are a very good team, but Souths have such a lot of firepower that it's hard to see past them.  However, with games already under their belt and playing at home on their home pitch they've got a good chance.

Hard to call.  Close game, Souths to pinch it.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Madge knows his Superleague, and the Australians are no longer surprised at the quality of British forwards. Saints' big men v Souths' should be intense.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rabbitohs (squad): George Burgess, Thomas Burgess, Jason Clark, Bryson Goodwin, Tim Grant, Chris Grevsmuhl, Greg Inglis ©, Alex Johnston, Luke Keary, Ben Lowe, Issac Luke, Cameron McInnes, Chris McQueen, Daryl Millard, Joel Reddy, Adam Reynolds, Glenn Stewart, John Sutton, David Tyrrell, Dylan Walker

Missing from the GF team: Burgess, Te'o, Tuqiri, Auva'a, Kyle Turner, Koroisau

Saints' job is the hardest on paper, especially given Madge's insights into them, but I don't see many scary names on that team sheet (union bound Inglis aside). These games are to be treasured, and I expect the home team to be sufficiently battle hardened and hungry to prevail. I don't think it will even be close.

I am particularly interested to see how Percival and Greenwood go, as they seem to be potential internationals to me.

Cant see Saints getting close TBH

Wilkin v Reynolds is a joke

Also Saints dont convert many tries with Walsh out

We would have converted more had Percival been our kicker from the outset.  He was an outstanding kicker for us last season, once he got the nod to actually do the task.

I would be surprised if we win because our first two games of the season have been somewhat scratchy with glimpses of what we could do if we weren't scratchy and without Walsh we will lack some panache although Wilkin is a stronger defender than Walsh so that will help us.  However, I hope if we do lose then we lose with dignity rather than catastrophically!  But most of all I hope we win, and I will be cheering us on until the final hooter with that hope in mind.

So looking forward to this weekend.  A trilogy of English vs. Australian club games, I find it remarkable that anybody who enjoys RL isn't looking forward to these games

Anyway.  I think the easiest game to call is Warrington vs. St George and I think Wire will win as they have started the season well and are a quality attacking outfit

Wigan vs. Brisbane is harder to call but I think Wigan will rise to the occasion and be motivated by the loss last year in Sydney to put on a good show

As for the WCC, again I think it is a hard one to call.  In Australia, I would go for a comfortable Souths win but this Saints team have something about them

My heart says a SL treble but my head says Wire, Wigan & Souths

Main thing is three cracking games to look forward to

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

So looking forward to this weekend.  A trilogy of English vs. Australian club games, I find it remarkable that anybody who enjoys RL isn't looking forward to these games

Anyway.  I think the easiest game to call is Warrington vs. St George and I think Wire will win as they have started the season well and are a quality attacking outfit

Wigan vs. Brisbane is harder to call but I think Wigan will rise to the occasion and be motivated by the loss last year in Sydney to put on a good show

As for the WCC, again I think it is a hard one to call.  In Australia, I would go for a comfortable Souths win but this Saints team have something about them

This

Wire and Wigan both playing very average NRL sides

Saints playing the top side minus SB

And of course the hugely overated Wilkin as a half back

So looking forward to this weekend. A trilogy of English vs. Australian club games, I find it remarkable that anybody who enjoys RL isn't looking forward to these games

Anyway. I think the easiest game to call is Warrington vs. St George and I think Wire will win as they have started the season well and are a quality attacking outfit

As for the WCC, again I think it is a hard one to call. In Australia, I would go for a comfortable Souths win but this Saints team have something about them

Not that this is the right thread but St George totally dominated Souths a couple of weeks back only to concede 2 late tries and the game end up a 12 all draw. Admittedly, Souths didn't have the Burgii or Inglis but they the dragons looked good. Benji and Widdop worked very well together. I think Wire will lose by a couple of scores.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

This is a hard game to call, as these matches often are. In 2007 I believe we lost two of our first three matches before going into our WCC game against Brisbane, and we beat them to kick start our season.  We've been solid enough in our first two games this year against potentially tough opponents (alright, Salford didn't really show up but the Sky pundits made them favourites and they opened strongly so we still had to work to get on top).

Souths are obviously intimidating opposition, and in winning the NRL 9s they showed that they mean business from the off this year. I'm confident that we've shown enough so far to suggest that we can hold our own though. I'm going to tip Saints for a narrow win, and if we lose then I think it will be with dignity rather than being reminiscent of the thrashings we suffered at the hands of the Roosters and the Storm.   

Saints by 8 :)

Souths have had 2 hit outs too. They played the 9s and the Charity shield with a strong team so they won't be undercooked. I hunk the only person who hasn't played yet is Tom Burgess.

Oohh, Freudian Slip that?

Very strong squad from Souths, is Reddy any relation to Rod Reddy (one of my favourite ever Aussies RL names).

Archived