Reserves Comp Shambles

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_20536-lenagan-brands-reserve-set-up-a-shambles.html

I have to say I agree. Either it's DR for all or all SL clubs run a reserve team. And I know which I prefer. The current situation is rubbish and harmful for player development.

Brilliant stuff from the man who was one of the two ring leaders behind doing away with the u18s and u20s for the one u19s team with no over-age players.

Even better he's now moaning about lack of reserve fixtures when he didn't even want to have to play against Hull reserves. Wigan could have played the additional Yorkshire based championship reserve teams but obviously travel costs are very high!!!!!!!!!

maybe if sl clubs didn t spend so much money on overseas players coming to the end of their careers looking for a last big pay day they would all be able to run  reserve teams . lets face it 50% of the overseas players playing in super league are no better and in a lot of cases poorer than our own players.

maybe if sl clubs didn t spend so much money on overseas players coming to the end of their careers looking for a last big pay day they would all be able to run  reserve teams . lets face it 50% of the overseas players playing in super league are no better and in a lot of cases poorer than our own players.

if you spend the cap it should make no difference to running an reserve side. That is separate from spending in the cap. So you could have no overseas players, it would cost the same.

Whilst I was glad to see the back of licensing the RFL should impose a minimum set of standards -one of those being to run a reserve side.If Sheffield,Dewsbury,Halifax,Featherstone and Keighley can manage it surely Leeds can.

They do - its called Hunslet !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Seems pretty obvious to me. A reserve/U21 grade of all 12 SL clubs playing 22 fixtures. Please don't tell me the clubs can't afford it or the standard will be too low.

Simple as that eh?

lets face it 50% of the overseas players playing in super league are no better and in a lot of cases poorer than our own players.

As far as the coaches/clubs are concerned the imports are better than the young players who do not get through to the first team squad.

The way forward in theory land is of course all 12 SL clubs run reserves but do they all want to go to catalans?

Do both Hull and Rovers want to create separate reserve teams - no chance

Do clubs who can't spend full cap on the first team want to spend on a reserve team - of course not

Do clubs whose academy teams produce little talent want to keep them for two more years? Shouldn't think so.

Do clubs who do nicely buying up Overseas players and top club rejects want to switch to kids who didn't make it at 19?

And when Hetherington looks at the make up of the reserve league does he think his quality young players are better playing for Featherstone against Leigh OR Keighley "A".

How is Sheffield "A".v.Dewsbury"A" a higher standard?

Brilliant stuff from the man who was one of the two ring leaders behind doing away with the u18s and u20s for the one u19s team with no over-age players.

Even better he's now moaning about lack of reserve fixtures when he didn't even want to have to play against Hull reserves. Wigan could have played the additional Yorkshire based championship reserve teams but obviously travel costs are very high!!!!!!!!!

Thing is, admitting he was wrong is surely better than pretending he's still right. It's easy not to see all the possible implications of things when they are drawn on the table, it takes someone of reasonable character to change paths, which is probably why politicians don't do it so often.

Simple as that eh?

As far as the coaches/clubs are concerned the imports are better than the young players who do not get through to the first team squad.

The way forward in theory land is of course all 12 SL clubs run reserves but do they all want to go to catalans?

Do both Hull and Rovers want to create separate reserve teams - no chance

Do clubs who can't spend full cap on the first team want to spend on a reserve team - of course not

Do clubs whose academy teams produce little talent want to keep them for two more years? Shouldn't think so.

Do clubs who do nicely buying up Overseas players and top club rejects want to switch to kids who didn't make it at 19?

And when Hetherington looks at the make up of the reserve league does he think his quality young players are better playing for Featherstone against Leigh OR Keighley "A".

How is Sheffield "A".v.Dewsbury"A" a higher standard?

You usually give a alternative veiw on subjects Parky, but here you seem to be an advocate for the Nay's to the right.

There are plenty positives for clubs running 'A'teams, from the horses mouth so to speak look in this thread at an extract from Keiron Cunningham's take on the matter, I am firmly planted as most who have commented on here are in his corner rather than the path that Hetherington is creating, Cunningham has stated the positives, has Hethrington actually stated his reason for not including Leeds in the Reserves Comp and why he is negative about it?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

So let's look at this objectively.

1 - Some people are calling out for a return to what happened for over 100 years - what was this - wasn't it just First team and A Team?

2 - Some people want 16's, 18's, 20's and reserves (or variations of that)

3 - Some people want just Academy teams

4 - Some people want Dual Reg or Feeder Clubs

Other sports do different ones of the above - so is there a right and a wrong, or are there just different options?

Do we think that genuinely talented players are being lost to the game by not having a 2nd team? If so, how many a year - that is a very important question by the way?

Do we think that genuinely talented players are being lost to the game by not having a 2nd team? If so, how many a year - that is a very important question by the way?

I'd guess that the attrition rate is worryingly high and i'd be interested to see SL clubs' Academy squads from say even only five years ago to try and gauge how many are no longer part of the game at any level.

On the reserve grade I believe it should be mandatory for SL clubs along with U16, U18 and U20. The Academy grades remain a weekend competition, but reserve grade is midweek evening and regionalised (2×8, 11 SL + 5 Championship). I think you could create a viable and reasonably well supported competition, with 14 games and play offs.

You usually give a alternative veiw on subjects Parky, but here you seem to be an advocate for the Nay's to the right.

There are plenty positives for clubs running 'A'teams, from the horses mouth so to speak look in this thread at an extract from Keiron Cunningham's take on the matter, I am firmly planted as most who have commented on here are in his corner rather than the path that Hetherington is creating, Cunningham has stated the positives, has Hethrington actually stated his reason for not including Leeds in the Reserves Comp and why he is negative about it?

I don't advocate anything. 

Why should Hetherington set up a reserves side to play at a level below that which Featherstone play?

I understand the point of late "developers" but there are not that many and therefore it seems reasonable to put those lads with Featherstone.

Hetherington said that he wanted to have his possible late developers playing at the highest level they could, that means the Championship not a pigs ear of a reserve league.

That's all.... 

It should be compulsory for all SL teams to run reserve, 19 or 18s and 16s. The club's be able to fund this as part of a requirement to remain in SL.

Aren't you just assuming there are hundreds of budding talented young RL players regularly queuing up to stock all these sides?

The fact that there are not means that SL clubs have cut teams and worked out what's best for them.

Top sides hog the talent, rich clubs recruit with a cheque book, poor clubs take surplus  talent off the big clubs, some clubs use championship teams to put budding youngsters in and two clubs in Hull share an academy, and most clubs make up the lack of talent here by recruiting from abroad.

It's a nice dream to have all those english teams underpinning SL, but all it will do is drag hundreds more out of the community game on a false dream of making it.

Under 16s is the tier to cut. The pro clubs don't give them an actual league season but they systematically destroy the leagues at that age group by raiding them

Do you really think so?

Don't many lads pack in rugby and football anyway at 15, 16, 17?

Don't the best kids who want a career need to move up by then?

It seems logical what Hull & HKR are doing - take less kids out of Humberside Junior ARL and play a better standard.??

Archived