The beginning of the end for printed newspapers

Isn't the Mail published by the same people who own London's Evening Standard, and Metro

They certainly own the Metro. They have a share of the LES, but the majority owner is Evgeny Lebedev, the owner of The Independent.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://news.sky.com/story/1640927/independent-newspaper-set-to-close-in-march

It was only going to be a matter of time..........can't say I'm disappointed, I've grown up in the digital age and have rarely bought a newspaper. Plus they've done naff all to support TGG

Their online version will need to go up a few notches. Its pretty poor at the moment

The only person I know who still buys a newspaper every day is my dad. Nobody else of my acquaintance does, although those in cities pick up a free paper like the Metro while commuting.

But buying one? Nope.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Possibly to back Brexit? The Mirror is Labour-committed toward the Remain campaign but is no doubt aware that a huge proportion of the working class wants to quit the EU.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Possibly to back Brexit? The Mirror is Labour-committed toward the Remain campaign but is no doubt aware that a huge proportion of the working class wants to quit the EU.

I think you must have missed the "politically neutral" bit. Not everyone or everything share your obsession. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

With mobile operators talking of  including adblockers as a standard feature... is it the end of online newspapers too?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I think you must have missed the "politically neutral" bit. Not everyone or everything share your obsession. 

For the Trinity Group, one Stayer and one Goer is "politically neutral".

It's certainly circulation-neutral.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

25148817531_61f2424b60_b.jpg

She has obviously never either worked in the newspaper world, or ever heard of newspapers, or news reporting of any kind... or she just thinks the public is astoundingly gullible. :rolleyes:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Their online version will need to go up a few notches. Its pretty poor at the moment

The indy website has gone up in quality substantially.  It's clean, easy to navigate and they have the draw of the Indy100 that typically suits my mindset.

My most frequented newspaper site is The Telegraph followed by the Daily Mail then the Independent then, rarely these days, the Guardian.  Telegraph because it's not bad apart from its increasing tendency to editorialise and opinionise and pretend its factual reporting.  The Mail site is simplicity and very easy to navigate, everything's on the landing site, easy to read if you understand its political aims.  The Indy is growing on me rapidly.  The Guardian is just old and getting older, it's just, well, so Tony Blair.

It's strange, before the Times' paywall they used to be my number 1 site, now I doubt if I've been tempted to go near it since the paywall flip.  Brand is everything, The Times is essentially forgotten as a newspaper and I'm surprised it still exists.  Plus we get the benefit of no-one linking to Stephen Jones on this forum.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 2 weeks later...

The funniest thing about all this is that people thought the digital age would usher in an era of diversity. Instead, the DM, instead of staying a UK phenomenon, becomes a global one. The losers are the reigonal papers. These massive national brands are only going to get bigger. We're seeing publications becomes the de facto choice for the English speaking world, whether its the DM, Guardian, NY Times, or what have you.

The funniest thing about all this is that people thought the digital age would usher in an era of diversity. Instead, the DM, instead of staying a UK phenomenon, becomes a global one. The losers are the reigonal papers. These massive national brands are only going to get bigger. We're seeing publications becomes the de facto choice for the English speaking world, whether its the DM, Guardian, NY Times, or what have you.

It is similar to what was predicted for the film industry and came to pass.  There are a few international blockbusters and lots of small films, while the middle dwindles.  On the small end, we have a proliferation of blogs, which would previously been someone rambling on to their mates.

It is that National thing that is disappearing.  The spread of rugby league owes a great deal to being able to gather a handful of followers in the same city, whereas previously they would never meet.  So, we see regional and national sports have their territory eroded, but spread internationally.  

Oddly, I recall the Daily Telegraph was on of the first papers to make their online edition readable.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 1 month later...

The New Day, launched in February is expected to close on Friday.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The New Day, launched in February is expected to close on Friday.

A career arc that even Yahoo Serious thought was disappointing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I worked for Trinity Mirror until I retired six months ago.My ex colleagues were hardly cock-a-hoop at the decision to launch .I wonder which senior manager will carry the can?Or will one of my more junior colleagues get the blame?

I never read a single copy of it. Tomorrow is my last chance ever to do so.

Nah... can't be bothered.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived