Challenge Cup draw

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We mustn't get too collectively grumpy! 

Union got mentioned because (whatever the pros and cons) the person invited to be involved in the draw was someone who has played both rugby codes to a high level.  By the way, it would indeed be interesting to know who got the draw on this very high profile, national radio programme; whisper it softly, but perhaps it was mooted by the RFL, Nigel Woods even!

I thought it was generally a good occasion.  The nearest I thought there was to a missed trick was when Humphreys raised the issue of safety in scrums, which gave the opportunity to point out not only that in league they are safer, but also much, much quicker and are a means of continuing running play, not (as seems to be the case in union nowadays) a means of trying to secure a penalty kick, which anywhere within 50 yards of the opponents posts will probably result in a kick at goal and yet more wasted time.  However, nobody made such a point.

It was on the Today programme with prominent MP's and Offiah being his usual charming self, the Unionistas still miss the point the two games diverges 121 years ago and are not the same and will only ever grow apart - unless Union decide to evolve their game but that's up to them

Nice bit of coverage and worth a laugh or two - most RU fans I know understand the differences and do watch RL as well, it is what it is

As for the draw, wow!

My team the Giants have Leeds AGAIN!

It reminds me of the years Warrington kept getting in the way, now it's the noisy neighbours from up the road!

We are due a win against them at some point so hopefully this will be it

And I agree about the other ties, very interesting stuff - Catalans on the Batley slope, should be very very interesting

Not overly convinced of Wakeys credentials at the moment, Toulouse may take them by surprise who knows, but that has the mystery factor about it

Would be ahppy with any on TV but suspect the nailed on ties would be the Giants\Rhinos and the Saints\FC ones, hopefully Oldham v Wire but more likely the Wakey\Toulouse match for a Friday evening on Sky

Totally predictable comments,moan when it's not on national BBC and moan even more when it's on the leading national breakfast radio show,basically,just moan,moan,moan and only get excited when someone is about to lose their job.

"Union got mentioned because (whatever the pros and cons) the person invited to be involved in the draw was someone who has played both rugby codes to a high level." Neither collectively nor individually grumpy Wilts it's just not relevant and therefore doesn't have any need to be brought up, pointed out,remarked about or commented on! And it's annoying when I can be bothered not because it's this one time, it's the fact that it's everytime! It's like they can't help themselves!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Totally predictable comments,moan when it's not on national BBC and moan even more when it's on the leading national breakfast radio show,basically,just moan,moan,moan and only get excited when someone is about to lose their job.

lazy post. Nobody here is moaning about it being on the radio 4 show, quite the opposite.

The only complaints relate to union being mentioned, again.

What is your opinion Fabou?

my opinion is that the teams were laking energy in the 20 last minutes. i watch the NRL, i follow the SL not that regularly, and i do not have any idea of the championship level. TOXIII might compete in the Campionship next year and the objective is to reach the SL. That is why I would love to get some opinions. 

I think it is down to pressure from the RL Parlimentary Group.

Justin Webb says "The accusation has been in the past that we favour RU"

They have been pulled up about their blatant bias.

When the pressure is off they will no doubt revert to type 

What ???????????? you think this was a GOOD thing on Radio 4 ( whyich nobody listens too anyway ???? It was just to try to get more listeners for radio 4 !!! revert to type .......mmmmm yeh it will be in The BBC Bog next rounds

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

What ???????????? you think this was a GOOD thing on Radio 4 ( whyich nobody listens too anyway ???? It was just to try to get more listeners for radio 4 !!! revert to type .......mmmmm yeh it will be in The BBC Bog next rounds

Well you and I may not listen to it but around 7 million people a week do . Compared to around 5 million for Radio 5 live.

And they tend to be big hitters who have influence, power, money and all the things RL needs. 

Well you and I may not listen to it but around 7 million people a week do . Compared to around 5 million for Radio 5 live.

And they tend to be big hitters who have influence, power, money and all the things RL needs.

Surprised at the numbers so looked them up and you are right. Unfortunately, missed the broadcast.

Surprised at the numbers so looked them up and you are right. Unfortunately, missed the broadcast.

Yes, it's one of the stations to which well educated, well paid and professional people listen. 

I had 3 texts yesterday from distinctly non TGG types commenting on our "easy draw". As a once in a while, this is a great idea.

I recall writing angrily to Radio 4 last year about one of their programmes sneering about our game but can't recall whether it was this one. Perhaps enough of us kicked up enough fuss to prompt a reaction?

I had 3 texts yesterday from distinctly non TGG types commenting on our "easy draw". As a once in a while, this is a great idea.

I recall writing angrily to Radio 4 last year about one of their programmes sneering about our game but can't recall whether it was this one. Perhaps enough of us kicked up enough fuss to prompt a reaction?

I also wrote to them complaining about their patronizing broadcasts last year. It would be nice think that you or I had made a difference. However the more likely explanation is that rather than listen to us they instead had to listen to their bosses

In January the RL Parliamentary group held a meeting at which MPs and Peers questioned the top brass at the BBC about their treatment of RL and the attitude of the presenters on the Today programme was one of the issues they were grilled on.

"  Specific complaints were raised during the meeting which focused on missing coverage of major national rugby league events in news broadcasts across the corporation, the use of “rugby” when they mean rugby union and the attitude of presenters on flagship radio programme Today."  

Another piece of good news to come out of it is that from 2017 " a dedicated rugby league correspondent will be employed by the BBC and it is hoped that with the new position, omissions on news programmes and online will ensure the game receives the recognition it deserves"

http://www.apprlg.org.uk/mps-and-peers-question-bbc-on-how-the-corporation-sees-and-covers-rugby-league/

It is great that Batley v Catalans is the Sky TV game. The Sky choices have been adventurous and in the spirit of the Challenge Cup.

Unexpected! An adventurous choice for Sky.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived