Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

'World Rugby' (sic) against RLIF bid for recognition?

There's a couple on Love RL that appear regularly if anyone on there looks in ru's direction.

You must learn not to confuse the behaviour of the dog with what it's tails up to Trailfinder!

There are different views here and some of us have said we need to find out what this story is all about, but dismissing people's concerns that world rugby might be up to no good, is a bit short sighted and after Italy, UAE and any number of other incidents and jiggery pokery anything people say is already well earned and more than deserved. And that would be true even if the story of this thread has no substance what so ever!

100% spot on

They are in a different league now.bwhwn it was shamateur and old farts they had an agenda, but they are big business now and would consider soccer as more of a threat/target. We've trod water for decades and are flogging the same stuff to the same fans as we've always done.

If rugby league isn't on union's radar, why was a union WC game played in the same city on the same evening as the SL GF?

If rugby league isn't on union's radar, why was a union WC game played in the same city on the same evening as the SL GF?

That's because, during this new and enlightened period the rfu are not a competing attraction or a rival organisation vying for similar customer groups,and they have only our best interests at heart. So they provided an example of their inferior product for the world to see at the same time as the real thing in an attempt to convince the British public that RL is the only sport worth watching! And we are very grateful for their efforts and can only hope they continue to illustrate that for us in this way. :)

Regards

Friends In Sport

What is the cross code forum?

I simply look at things pragmatically and in this instance as has since been underlined, world rugby have not put a spanner in the worx.....as much as that upsets some who rely on the issue of blaming anyone else for their own woes.

Okay then, Barnaby, go and organise a RL game in the UAE... and after a few months, you can report back on here about prison conditions in that country.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

What is the cross code forum?

I simply look at things pragmatically and in this instance as has since been underlined, world rugby have not put a spanner in the worx.....as much as that upsets some who rely on the issue of blaming anyone else for their own woes.

Welcome back Barnacle.  I've missed you.  I hope you have been keeping "the spreadsheet" up to date during your enforced absence? :tongue:

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

I mentioned back on the day of the Grand Final how very impressed the RFU were with the Etihad, and more so the billionaire Arabs who own it.

I said then they would be back, and they want a big presence in the North West of England and wanted at least one England international in Manchester every year.

Well, this under 19s Rugby Union world cup is their first shot at taking on Rugby League in, or near the RL Heartlands.  

The fact they are using the mini Etihad should be ringing alarm bells at the RFL. But this won't register until it's to late. 

The RFU definitely have a strategy to move into the RL heartlands by stealth. .......But never mind Coventry and a RU stadium is the future of Rugby League.   

Well, they've (RFU) got their feet under the table with the Abu Dhabi money mob now.   

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/manchester-host-2016-under-20-rugby-9464035

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Okay then, Barnaby, go and organise a RL game in the UAE... and after a few months, you can report back on here about prison conditions in that country.

Now that I woud pay for. We could all chip in and send him a cake with a file in it.

Manc

"the Abu Dhabi money mob now." !!!!!

I think that ship sailed long ago! And that phrase needs a bit of work I'm afraid.

Now that I woud pay for. We could all chip in and send him a cake with a file in it.

I'd put in a little extra to have the file omitted from the cake.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I mentioned back on the day of the Grand Final how very impressed the RFU were with the Etihad, and more so the billionaire Arabs who own it.

I said then they would be back, and they want a big presence in the North West of England and wanted at least one England international in Manchester every year.

Well, this under 19s Rugby Union world cup is their first shot at taking on Rugby League in, or near the RL Heartlands.  

The fact they are using the mini Etihad should be ringing alarm bells at the RFL. But this won't register until it's to late. 

The RFU definitely have a strategy to move into the RL heartlands by stealth. .......But never mind Coventry and a RU stadium is the future of Rugby League.   

Well, they've (RFU) got their feet under the table with the Abu Dhabi money mob now.   

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/manchester-host-2016-under-20-rugby-9464035

The city of Manchester stadium was owned by the City of Manchester council the last time i checked, so when did the Manchester City owners buy it?

The city of Manchester stadium was owned by the City of Manchester council the last time i checked, so when did the Manchester City owners buy it?

Stop with the facts already.....it doesn't sit well with the conspirators.

Stop with the facts already.....it doesn't sit well with the conspirators.

If we stopped with conspiracies we would have nothing to...................

A couple of years ago they bought it before they would commit to the investment they've recently put in.

Having checked that's wrong and it is still owned by the council.

Well now the ownership of the Ethiad is settled :swoon: 

I went back to the original article and looked at who wrote it

Nick Butler   

Is there any way we can contact him and ask about the said and alleged letter?

That might be a start!

post-43957-0-89281000-1461501422_thumb.jpg

The mini Etihad was built, paid for and owned  by 'Abu Dhabi United group'. The main Etihad stadium is owned by 'Abu Dhabi United' Group.

The council have a nominal share in the stadium. Because ADUG always go round investing over a billion and are about to invest another billion quid in something they don't own.

Sometimes, I can't quite believe how naïve some on here really are. But like I said over six months ago the RFU are cosying-up to the money men of the Middle East, who wield ultimate power in their countries. I predicted then, that they would do something and this U20's  RUWorld Championship is their first step. They won't be happy until RL is all but gone.  

While we are having big RL internationals in RU stadiums like Coventry, the RFU probably can't quite believe how green RL is. And anyone who thinks the RFU believe Association football is their main competitor is wrong. RL is their main competitor.

Their next move will be Summer RU.  But this is just my opinion. It's not a conspiracy, it's just business to the RU bods. And that means knocking out you main competition, which is RL so that they can expand their product...... But we'll see, won't we.   

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

"While we are having big RL internationals in RU stadiums like Coventry, the RFU probably can't quite believe how green RL is. And anyone who thinks the RFU believe Association football is their main competitor is wrong. RL is their main competitor.

Their next move will be Summer RU.  But this is just my opinion. It's not a conspiracy, it's just business to the RU bods. And that means knocking out you main competition, which is RL so that they can expand their product...... But we'll see, won't we. "

Couldn't agree more Manc, It's not personal now it's business and clearing the decks of the opposition one way or another, but a lot of people prefer to play the harp while the city burns.

The mini Etihad was built, paid for and owned  by 'Abu Dhabi United group'. The main Etihad stadium is owned by 'Abu Dhabi United' Group.

The council have a nominal share in the stadium. Because ADUG always go round investing over a billion and are about to invest another billion quid in something they don't own.

Sometimes, I can't quite believe how naïve some on here really are. But like I said over six months ago the RFU are cosying-up to the money men of the Middle East, who wield ultimate power in their countries. I predicted then, that they would do something and this U20's  RUWorld Championship is their first step. They won't be happy until RL is all but gone.  

While we are having big RL internationals in RU stadiums like Coventry, the RFU probably can't quite believe how green RL is. And anyone who thinks the RFU believe Association football is their main competitor is wrong. RL is their main competitor.

Their next move will be Summer RU.  But this is just my opinion. It's not a conspiracy, it's just business to the RU bods. And that means knocking out you main competition, which is RL so that they can expand their product...... But we'll see, won't we.   

Two posts stating what you think the threat is whilst having a little shot at the RFL for doing something similar. What are you proposing? We should concentrate on Manchester and not Coventry?

I went back to the original article and looked at who wrote it

Nick Butler   

Is there any way we can contact him and ask about the said and alleged letter?

That might be a start!

His Twitter account is linked on his main page - someone can ask him there!

Lots of sports were concerned because the IOC severed its relationship with Sport Accord.

http://fasterskier.com/blog/article/by-severing-ties-bach-kills-sportaccord-ioc-carries-full-weight-of-sports-future-reform/

Thanks - but what has that got to do with the applicant process for Sports Accord and that organisation's application process? If Butler's article is to be believed, it references 'organisations' wondering if the application process has been thorough enough with World Rugby seeking clarification on the process. Are they suggesting Sports Accord have been lax under the previous administration?

Two posts stating what you think the threat is whilst having a little shot at the RFL for doing something similar. What are you proposing? We should concentrate on Manchester and not Coventry?

I have to say I was thinking the same thing. Why is the RFU staging big matches (if the under 20 world championship is a big match) in RL territory part of a strategic plan and RL playing tests at the home of Wasps RU club naivety?

I have to say I was thinking the same thing. Why is the RFU staging big matches (if the under 20 world championship is a big match) in RL territory part of a strategic plan and RL playing tests at the home of Wasps RU club naivety?

Quite right Dunbar, they're both strategic plans and have agendas that are about their place in the sporting world. Where else would ru go but those areas where they don't really have a solid foothold and where else would RL go but beyond its heartland in order to tell the world it exists and it's worth watching? This will never be where the differences between the two are to be found!

They've touted a switch to Summer RU for a fair while now, and I'm not convinced it'll ever happen.  It's one thing when the money men try and take on RL or football, but the summer market for sporting "experiences" (you know the type) is fairly crowded at the moment in summer, with the hospitality machines of Wimbledon, golf, the big flat racing meetings all in full flow.  

The other thing they've got to deal with is the player base.  Will they switch everyone to summer?  I can't imagine they will be vastly happy about it, and then you start losing people to the weather- plus, I can't imagine them wanting to go on tour in November.

And then there's France.  I can't imagine they'd be up for moving to summer given the weather.  And they'd effectively cede half the year to football, which in some places would effectively invite competition into town that didn't really exist before.  

RU thinks global, RL thinks village.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

World Rugby has the fear that League is growing and will pass them like in Serbia. In 2000 we had basically 5 Nations where League was played. 16 years later we have 40 or more. In Serbia, Czech Rep etc we have not just open age teams but junior teams. Its this that World Rugby are worried about rather than the North of England. World Rugby are concerned or they would do more to stop the situations that happened in Morocco, UAE etc.

World Rugby has the fear that League is growing and will pass them like in Serbia. In 2000 we had basically 5 Nations where League was played. 16 years later we have 40 or more. In Serbia, Czech Rep etc we have not just open age teams but junior teams. Its this that World Rugby are worried about rather than the North of England. World Rugby are concerned or they would do more to stop the situations that happened in Morocco, UAE etc.

Too true Lounge but it is much easier to get away consistently with stuff when it's far away and somewhere foreign! Also you can say "We've spoken to them!" and "But we cannot interfere in domestic decisions!" win, win. And if journalists regard you as one of the sacred cows of British culture you're on a real pormise too!