Rant thread

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

Take in oranges (inject gin into them first) refreshing and so healthy who could possibly object? ????????

I used to go out with a nurse many years ago. She told me that nurses would inject patient's oranges with their own urine if the patient had been a nuisance.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Not a rant just something funny (and cruel) I saw on YouTube. There's a series of English Lessons made primarily for the Korean market but it doesn't say that anywhere. The presenter, who looks Euro or Eurasian, will occasionally launch into a paragraph of Korean. In the comments below there are things like:

- I couldn't understand the bit you said at 1:30-1:45 or

- There's something wrong with the sound. It sounds all wrong when you get to 2:15

Today I took the wife to the Boden clearance sale (think a middle-class jumble sale with a 300m queue to get in, lots of sharp-elbowed 30-50 year old women, half of them with expensive and heavyweight push-chairs and a massive barn full of winter and spring season clothes no-one else wanted that are now fought over as if they were free large bundles of £50 notes).  That wasn't a stressor for me as I've learned from previous years, I dropped her off at the door and retreated to read my book in the sun while she spent two hours in close combat that would scare most combat veterans.

The stressor was then she wanted to go to Waitrose on the way home to get stuff for a barbecue (the 3 for £10 range for BBQ food is actually damnably good and very cheap for what you get).  We didn't have our Waitrose card so couldn't use the scan-as-you-go thing and had to stand in a normal queue.  There was an old-ish couple (late 60s) in front of us, the very polite lady at the checkout asked if they wanted her to pack for them, they said "yes" and then the old couple spent ages discussing EVERY item and which of their bags it should go in with more than a few snide marks to the checkout lady such as "that's clearly not the right bag dear".  5 minutes later, it really was 5 minutes, and they'd packed three bags.  Then the checkout lady said "that'll be (whatever the price was)" and the old woman (she was no lady) then looked at her as if she was asking her for a lap-dance, she then spent a bloody long time haggling over prices as they "clearly were not right and you've made a number of mistakes".  Once she finally admitted every price was actually right she then decided to look for a method to pay, taking out item after item from her huge sack of a handbag for over four minutes (I did check the time...) before producing a card and paying with more snide comments about "overpriced rubbish" and "incompetent staff".

I was very patient and got a well deserved "well done" from my wife for not saying a word to the old couple.  I did complement the checkout lady on excellent patience and customer service skills despite the challenge offered.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

At the other end of the scale, Lidl. I get very annoyed by customer who want to pack their backs at the till, despite only having a "Post-till" area the size of a tea-cloth they wish to put each individual item in a particular bag at the till instead of (as the Germans do it) reload the shopping trolley, and either load the bags on the shelf beyond check-out, or do it at the car. I very patiently watched 2 old biddy women do their weekly shop, while packing their bags meticulously and it took forever. I had 2 items, and despite having a "Short fuse" (according to my ex), I didn't say a word. Neither did I say anything when I had 1x Loaf just behind a young family with £160 worth of food (Lidl food) and the 8-year old girl insisted on "Helping" to pack.

Calm, Chill, Relax, get home then explode the expletives !!@&*^*^%£$^*(

Edited by Bleep1673
Edited for spelling

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

So, today, I took the wife to the Boden clearance sale (think a middle-class jumble sale with a 300m queue to get in, lots of sharp-elbowed 30-50 year old women, half of them with expensive and heavyweight push-chairs and a massive barn full of winter and spring season clothes no-one else wanted that are now fought over as if they were free large bundles of £50 notes).  That wasn't a stressor for me as I've learned from previous years, I dropped her off at the door and retreated to read my book in the sun while she spent two hours in close combat that would scare most combat veterans.

The stressor was then she wanted to go to Waitrose on the way home to get stuff for a barbecue (the 3 for £10 range for BBQ food is actually damnably good and very cheap for what you get).  We didn't have our Waitrose card so couldn't use the scan-as-you-go thing and had to stand in a normal queue.  There was an old-ish couple (late 60s) in front of us, the very polite lady at the checkout asked if they wanted her to pack for them, they said "yes" and then the old couple spent ages discussing EVERY item and which of their bags it should go in with more than a few snide marks to the checkout lady such as "that's clearly not the right bag dear".  5 minutes later, it really was 5 minutes, and they'd packed three bags.  Then the checkout lady said "that'll be (whatever the price was)" and the old woman (she was no lady) then looked at her as if she was asking her for a lap-dance, she then spent a bloody long time haggling over prices as they "clearly were not right and you've made a number of mistakes".  Once she finally admitted every price was actually right she then decided to look for a method to pay, taking out item after item from her huge sack of a handbag for over four minutes (I did check the time...) before producing a card and paying with more snide comments about "overpriced rubbish" and "incompetent staff".

I was very patient and got a well deserved "well done" from my wife for not saying a word to the old couple.  I did complement the checkout lady on excellent patience and customer service skills despite the challenge offered.

The Waitrose story is very familiar. I think there are some people who act like that every time they go shopping, as it is the only time they can get to talk to/at people who can't just walk away, ignore them or say anything impolite.

The checkout staff at my local Sainsbury's are very well-mannered and pleasant, and I always appreciate that.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Today I took the wife to the Boden clearance sale (think a middle-class jumble sale with a 300m queue to get in, lots of sharp-elbowed 30-50 year old women, half of them with expensive and heavyweight push-chairs and a massive barn full of winter and spring season clothes no-one else wanted that are now fought over as if they were free large bundles of £50 notes).  That wasn't a stressor for me as I've learned from previous years, I dropped her off at the door and retreated to read my book in the sun while she spent two hours in close combat that would scare most combat veterans.

That's as maybe....but we nearly got you to crack! :):):)

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I used to print the Boden catalogue years ago (well not just me obvs) and in the early days, the man himself Jonny Boden used to come in and pass the job himself.

Nice to see the family keeping tabs on things. Danny Baker tells an anecdote about when he did an advert for Mars Bars, and was told that all advertisements had to be personally approved by the then-octogenarian company owner Forrest Mars.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The people ( 99% of the time old ladies ) who insist on taking every packet of boiled ham off the shelf to examine them as though one packet is going to be radically better than the rest. And then they don't buy any boiled ham ! This is while I'm trying to reach past them to get the first packet I can lay my hands on.  Or the ones who have to feel every loaf on the shelves

On 2017-6-15 at 9:52 AM, Johnoco said:

Those liberal wishy washy gits who, when you have a line of traffic that merges into one and everyone is queuing, let in the b'stards that sail down the outside lane and go straight to the front. I have a strict policy of eff Off.  But no, Mr and Mrs reasonable allow these lowlife to get away with it. Queue jumping s ######.

Drivers who sit in a queue when there is an empty lane to use. STOP CAUSING CONGESTION!!! 

• Like 4
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

BT are above and beyond annoying now.  The latest thing to really get me is they've started forcing wifi preferences.  I was using my laptop yesterday and suddenly had no access to my home network stuff and the internet was damnably slow.  A quick check and I noticed my laptop had connected to "BTWifi with FON".  I thought I'd clicked the wrong button at first so I simply used the "forget network" option that normally bins any connection permanently.  This morning I noticed it was doing the same thing, investigating it further showed it on my preferred network list as "added by network provider".  One of my neighbours with a BT wifi router still naively has the sharing option open for his connection.

Yep, BT and Windows with a nice big security hole.  Why in the name of $deity would I ever connect to an unsecured wifi node on a machine that I occasionally do sensitive stuff on? 

Fixed it by removing all of the wifi discretionary settings and locking things down but I bloody well shouldn't have to do that.  It's beyond unacceptable that Microsoft will have a default setting that allows a network provider to change the network settings of my machine without my active consent.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 minutes ago, ckn said:

NHS nepotism.

I have tried five times to write a constructive rant post on this but I guess I'll just have to leave it at this...

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me too. I used to go into a bar in Edinburgh that had the following sign -

" Will customers who have been served please move away from the bar ".

Funnily enough the last time it happened to me was in a pub called the Rose Leaf in Leith. Had to order my drink over the head of a hipster and his trendy girlfriend. Their reaction was as if I have no right to be doing it.  

Just now, Mark S said:

Funnily enough the last time it happened to me was in a pub called the Rose Leaf in Leith. Had to order my drink over the head of a hipster and his trendy girlfriend. Their reaction was as if I have no right to be doing it.  

This place was on the  " Royal Mile "

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

• 2 weeks later...

I'm typing this having just got home from an awful day at work.  Probably the best thread as I don't want to politicise Uninteresting Trivial Facts and it's too personal for the NHS thread.

So, that's it, my service redundant and closed down.  A day of talking to understandably angry people.  Remember the Tories keeping on going on about no NHS cuts, well, I've no clue how else you'd describe the closing of an entire service to save money.

My service overwhelmingly provided services towards improvement, prevention and innovation for clinicians and patient treatment.  I guess that doesn't matter in the drive to stop everything that doesn't specifically relate to a target or treatment.

The NHS is slowly and steadily moving to a US system where everything's measurable and profitable except prevention.  Prevention makes the private providers nothing while an illness that's left until it requires hospital treatment generates a healthy profit.

I had to take an entire day of people ranting at me, and with very good cause, as I was the face of senior management.

I finished the day with a 1:1 with my boss who had to formally tell me I was out of a job.  I did resist giving him both barrels as it was about as much his fault me being let go as it was my fault that I had to tell others that same thing.

I have a large whisky and a bit of a foul mood so please be nice to each other on the forum tonight.  I'll update my CV over the weekend and start looking again.

On 6/15/2017 at 8:40 PM, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to go out with a nurse many years ago. She told me that nurses would inject patient's oranges with their own urine if the patient had been a nuisance.

I'm a retired senior nurse. I doubt it.

Edited by Tongs ya bas

I have been visiting a relative in hospital recently. To get into the place, in this instance Pinderfields in Wakefield, I had to run the gauntlet of people, some of them patients on drips: smoking. It looks and smells disgusting and goes against everything that a hospital is supposed to represent. Many of these people actually stand in front of the no smoking signs.

33 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm typing this having just got home from an awful day at work.  Probably the best thread as I don't want to politicise Uninteresting Trivial Facts and it's too personal for the NHS thread.

So, that's it, my service redundant and closed down.  A day of talking to understandably angry people.  Remember the Tories keeping on going on about no NHS cuts, well, I've no clue how else you'd describe the closing of an entire service to save money.

My service overwhelmingly provided services towards improvement, prevention and innovation for clinicians and patient treatment.  I guess that doesn't matter in the drive to stop everything that doesn't specifically relate to a target or treatment.

The NHS is slowly and steadily moving to a US system where everything's measurable and profitable except prevention.  Prevention makes the private providers nothing while an illness that's left until it requires hospital treatment generates a healthy profit.

I had to take an entire day of people ranting at me, and with very good cause, as I was the face of senior management.

I finished the day with a 1:1 with my boss who had to formally tell me I was out of a job.  I did resist giving him both barrels as it was about as much his fault me being let go as it was my fault that I had to tell others that same thing.

I have a large whisky and a bit of a foul mood so please be nice to each other on the forum tonight.  I'll update my CV over the weekend and start looking again.

Sorry to hear that. More of the same will be following elsewhere however.

Different example of the state of the NHS came to our office this week. The hospital was opened in the early 70s, and is pretty much all flat roof. Due to age, every time we get heavy rain, it leaks. Patching flat roots rarely works, however replacing it all is unaffordable. Consequently, we keep a supply of buckets to hand.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Best of luck, mate. Looking for work myself at the moment, and it isn't a great feeling.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson