Jump to content

Rant thread


Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I was in that five percent 

Pleased to hear that (I assume) you've made a recovery. One of the jobs I was most proud of doing was raising awareness of bowel cancer symptoms and getting more people to complete the screening kits.

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Pleased to hear that (I assume) you've made a recovery. One of the jobs I was most proud of doing was raising awareness of bowel cancer symptoms and getting more people to complete the screening kits.

Cheers yeh . Touch wood three years on . Meeting the best surgeon in the country who took some parts away , added some bits to make me work again and got a great team over 10 hours to complete the job , did the trick . The first time I met him he told me how advanced it was gave me 12 months . The first time after the operation and pathology tests he told me you’ve got a life back . It does sort of change your perspective on life 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m getting a haircut. The place I go to has a few car slots capable of two cars each on the road outside it. Every single one has one car parked so that no one else can get in there without the predatory traffic wardens ticketing for 2” over the double yellows. 

Thwaites, the lot of them. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just been to the dentist, and on the way back, standing at the bus stop outside Wetherspoons/Natwest, a woman walks past, says "OOH, that's nice" to her mate, and picks up £10 that someone had dropped at the cash machine, I could've done with that as my PIP isn't due until next Tuesday, and I'm -£6.35 at the bank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

If you have an idea or opinion that differs from the ignorant majority, keep it to yourself

Are you talking to yourself, mate?

Relax. Stop taking things so seriously.

Hope whatever is bugging you goes away soon.

  • Like 2

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's an angry man about something or rather, some things, or indeed a lot of things, that's for sure. Currently it's the referendum result.

I've found the best solution under these circumstances is for a while  to stop watching the news on any channel, avoid Question Time, put Classic FM or Radio 3 on. 

Listen on free Spotify to:

1. Barber's Adagio for Strings

2. The 4th movement (Adagietto) from Mahler's 5th symphony

3. Parry's My soul, there is a country from his Songs of Farewell (My soul, there is a country, Far beyond the stars, Where stands a winged sentry,All skilful in the wars: There, above noise and danger, Sweet Peace sits crowned with smiles)

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

He's an angry man about something or rather, some things, or indeed a lot of things, that's for sure. Currently it's the referendum result.

I've found the best solution under these circumstances is for a while  to stop watching the news on any channel, avoid Question Time, put Classic FM or Radio 3 on. 

Listen on free Spotify to:

1. Barber's Adagio for Strings

2. The 4th movement (Adagietto) from Mahler's 5th symphony

3. Parry's My soul, there is a country from his Songs of Farewell (My soul, there is a country, Far beyond the stars, Where stands a winged sentry,All skilful in the wars: There, above noise and danger, Sweet Peace sits crowned with smiles)

I have a short list of things that always makes me smile.  I do my damnedest to never overplay them.  For example, firing up the video for the Singing in the Rain Gene Kelly dance always raises that smile.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles, warm woolen mittens, brown paper packages tied up with string ?

I have a picture now of CKN skipping through a hillside meadow. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I have a picture now of CKN skipping through a hillside meadow. 

? high on a hill with a lonely goatherd ?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Ex army you see

To this day there are some songs I can’t abide because of the army.  For example, American Pie was one of our training songs that we had to sing to convince the training staff to feed us, three times a day every day for months. Singing in the Rain was saved JUST because we were actually lucky that it didn’t rain too much during training...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another driving rant from Phil

Indicators, please use em

Lane discipline at roundabouts, ffs just ffs

Why can’t you understand what the sign “merge in turn” means? 

  • Like 3

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was out minding my own business on my bike yesterday when some nutcase in a car behind me sounded his horn, zoomed past with his wing mirror centimetres from my handlebars, slowed down right in front of me and started yelling out of the window that I should "get off the f***king road" while gesticulating and giving me two fingers. I was a bit taken aback by this, but managed to shout back "no, YOU get off the f***cking road" before he hurtled away up the road. Shouldn't be allowed out with anger management issues like that.

Then of course I was trying to figure out what I'd done wrong. Nothing, I was just riding along the road where I was perfectly entitled to be.

Edited by wilsontown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t travel by train much these days as I drive to most of my work places (1hr by car vs 3hrs by train). Today I’m off to a regional meeting and train is much more convenient, mainly because it eliminates parking problems nearby. Direct A-B ticket just over £100 but split it into a ticket for each of the two trains I need and it comes down to £40. 

Come on, that’s just idiotic, surely there’s a better process 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/04/2019 at 16:41, wilsontown said:

Was out minding my own business on my bike yesterday when some nutcase in a car behind me sounded his horn, zoomed past with his wing mirror centimetres from my handlebars, slowed down right in front of me and started yelling out of the window that I should "get off the f***king road" while gesticulating and giving me two fingers. I was a bit taken aback by this, but managed to shout back "no, YOU get off the f***cking road" before he hurtled away up the road. Shouldn't be allowed out with anger management issues like that.

Then of course I was trying to figure out what I'd done wrong. Nothing, I was just riding along the road where I was perfectly entitled to be.

There’s a whole psychology course  in how people change when they’re behind a wheel and how angry , intolerant and impatient they become . Abiding by speed limits seems to make some drivers behind you very upset 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ckn said:

I don’t travel by train much these days as I drive to most of my work places (1hr by car vs 3hrs by train). Today I’m off to a regional meeting and train is much more convenient, mainly because it eliminates parking problems nearby. Direct A-B ticket just over £100 but split it into a ticket for each of the two trains I need and it comes down to £40. 

Come on, that’s just idiotic, surely there’s a better process 

It gets dafter than that, you can often save significant sums of money by splitting tickets even when you aren't changing trains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

It gets dafter than that, you can often save significant sums of money by splitting tickets even when you aren't changing trains.

As long as the train stops at a station, you can use that stop to split your ticket, whether you change trains or not.

I use a ticket-splitting website every time these days. If the train companies are out to gouge you for as much as they can get, I feel it is my duty to play them at their own game. I saved £65 across two journeys over Christmas/New Year, even when booking very late.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...