Jump to content

Rant thread


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

You got trains in Crete?

Sadly, no. There are no trains on this island.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Yesterday I went to recce a place I am due to go for an interview on Thursday in Tunbridge Wells (High Brooms, North Farm Ind Est), and as I have a bus pass I took the 304 from Hasting to TW, it usually takes about 100-120 mins, when I arrived I had no idea which bus to take, so I asked a driver who was waiting to relieve someone. He told me the 282 will get me there. This bus is every 12 mins, so I thought I was on to a winner. I waited 40 mins for the bus to arrive, then, as usual, three turned up at the same time, all of the midi-sized vehicle. I got on one and went on a very non-magical mystery tour. as we passed High Brooms railway station for the second time, heading back towards TW, I got up and asked the driver if she was going to Lombard Rd, she said she was, as I turned round some old get had stolen my seat (the bus wasn't half full at this point). We got back into TW and I said to the driver that she had said she was going to Lombard Road, at which point she said, "I thought you said London Road". She then told me I should've got the 177, which goes to the Hospital. 

I was furious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Interview confirmed as 1400

Fingers crossed.

  • Thanks 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

 

I was furious.

No point being furious if something goes wrong on your recce run.    That’s why you do a recce run - because it doesn’t matter when it goes wrong.    
 

Sounds to me like your preparations have done their job.  
 

Good luck on Thursday.  

  • Like 2

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Steve May said:

No point being furious if something goes wrong on your recce run.    That’s why you do a recce run - because it doesn’t matter when it goes wrong.    
 

Sounds to me like your preparations have done their job.  
 

Good luck on Thursday.  

Yeah, fair comment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/10/2019 at 12:29, Bleep1673 said:

There was some smart ass ringing my door this morning at 06:00GMT, they did it twice, I do not get out of bed and answer the door at that time of a Sunday morning to anyone. If someone want to speak to me, do so at a civilised hour.

Our local police do that. The benefits of living in a rural and very Tory area is that we have police officers with time to spare. They'll occasionally patrol the streets during the night to check if cars are locked or showing valuables, if either is showing they'll wake you up to fix it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Our local police do that. The benefits of living in a rural and very Tory area is that we have police officers with time to spare. They'll occasionally patrol the streets during the night to check if cars are locked or showing valuables, if either is showing they'll wake you up to fix it.

I live on the seafront of a very shi**y town, and I don't have a car

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Our local police do that. The benefits of living in a rural and very Tory area is that we have police officers with time to spare. They'll occasionally patrol the streets during the night to check if cars are locked or showing valuables, if either is showing they'll wake you up to fix it.

We had a policeman knock at the door some time after midnight to tell us that our car was unlocked. My wife nearly called the police on him ? 

(We have been away for the weekend, leaving our front door wide open. Came home to find that the postman had popped the letters inside the house, but left the door wide open. Also left a car door open (not just unlocked) several times overnight. We live on one of the main roads through the village, not some quiet cul-de-sac.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/10/2019 at 14:53, Futtocks said:

Water has to be 100 degrees C for teabags, to force flavour from what is close to being leaf-dust.

For loose-leaf tea, just like ground coffee, you need water that's just off boiling point. I click off the electric kettle and let it stand for about 20 seconds before pouring for coffee or loose-leaf tea. Different kettles will lose temperature at different rates, but that's a decent rule of thumb.

This is yet another one of those falsehoods that gets perpetuated.

Once again, you should NEVER pour boiling water - or just off boiling, on tea bags, this actually reduces the chances of the flavour coming out as you're scalding the tea. Boil the water then leave for a couple of minutes MINIMUM before pouring on the bag, 30 seconds in most people's kettles isn't going to reduce the temperature anywhere near enough.

Squeezing the bag produces more tannin's which causes the tea to be bitter or stronger if you like and some people prefer it that way.

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

This is yet another one of those falsehoods that gets perpetuated.

Once again, you should NEVER pour boiling water - or just off boiling, on tea bags, this actually reduces the chances of the flavour coming out as you're scalding the tea. Boil the water then leave for a couple of minutes MINIMUM before pouring on the bag, 30 seconds in most people's kettles isn't going to reduce the temperature anywhere near enough.

Squeezing the bag produces more tannin's which causes the tea to be bitter or stronger if you like and some people prefer it that way.

A couple of minutes? Thirty seconds' wait off the boil in my kettle gets me down to about 85 degrees, which is good for coffee and loose black tea. A couple of minutes sees the temperature sink to under 75 degrees, and you're looking at a lukewarm drink after cold milk has been added, even if you drink it in a hurry.

NB: I only boil the amount I need, so a cupful of boiling water will cool quicker than a full kettle.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are going to provide tracking info, then you can't keep changing it!

AO washing machine delivery - 

Yesterdays estimate - 7am to 7pm (fair enough its the night before)

Up at 7 just in case.  Tracking info comes through - 9am to 12am.  Check at 8:30 and it was now 9:30 to 10:30 (nice an hour slot).  

Just checked before 9:30 and its now saying 11:30 to 14:30!!

 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

If you are going to provide tracking info, then you can't keep changing it!

AO washing machine delivery - 

Yesterdays estimate - 7am to 7pm (fair enough its the night before)

Up at 7 just in case.  Tracking info comes through - 9am to 12am.  Check at 8:30 and it was now 9:30 to 10:30 (nice an hour slot).  

Just checked before 9:30 and its now saying 11:30 to 14:30!!

 

Now 12:20 to 14:20 but I've moved back in the queue!  There were 13 deliveries before me but its now 14!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Now 12:20 to 14:20 but I've moved back in the queue!  There were 13 deliveries before me but its now 14!

Was 12:25 to 13:25 and back to 13 in queue.

Now 13:25 to 15:25 and still 13th.  

The day is wasted and annoying.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

It’s probably filed under ‘first world problems’ but that’s still annoying.

It's now 14:10 to 15:10.  Having tracking is great usually, but this is so changeable that it's useless.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my day to day working life I make a appointments all day long. I usually make about 10 a day. 

If I can do it with a paper diary why cannot multi £ business' with their resources at least to give their  customers a clue? 

  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

It's now 14:10 to 15:10.  Having tracking is great usually, but this is so changeable that it's useless.  

Now 3 mins away and no idea what happened to the other 13 customers...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.