Match Thread. Sheffield v Featherstone Rovers Friday 24th June 2016

marklaspalmas

Alledgedly Some players not been paid for a month, some players paid late, some players only paid 80% of their wage

Alledgedly Club not got a pot to p*ss in at the min, alledgedly cant make any profit on matchdays at the min due to MR Bigfellas bailing out the club on a previous debt and getting it paid back by demanding the matchday takings

Alledgedly the union visiting the club and alledgedly the chairman wants out

No wonder everyone is so de-motivated at the min

Even so the players should still be professional to the last minute, that was not professional at all, a close 2nd to the bash game as worse performance of the season

Top 4 hopes went tonight, we might as well accept its all over now

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think the players not being paid is not true If you ask them you will be able to put that one to bed I'm no coach but cannot see the point in changing half backs if there fit to accommodate at Leeds lad who will go back when they need him We needed the 6 and 7 playing week in week out I also don't get how we started playing one man rugby drive drive drive it won't win us games and we might as well not play the wingers they don't get the ball that much I'm.not too concerned I never thought we make the top 4 this year and still don't We seem to be hitting a bad patch for whatever reason which hopefully JS and the team can sort out but 5 looks our position this year and if we get it there would be no complaints from me I would think JS is working with a lot smaller budget and he looks like keeping the team where they were 12,months ago with it The question really is have we improved and moved on as a whole club from 12 months ago

The really disappointing thing is we were playing so well and in my eyes were genuine top four contenders. I don't know if it's the off the field going ons or the pressure to get that fourth spot that's done it but it seems another season we will miss out on the financial reward the top four brings, and by the sounds of it we desperately need it.

As disappointed as the next man but don’t agree with the above.

Sure last night was dire, but, when considering how teams go when they have real problems, and how we have gone, for me just doesn’t stack up.

If you have the problems people are talking about you are bad every week. We have been good, bad, good, bad etc………i.e. Dews away, summer bash, Leigh away, Whitehaven home etc…..

For me squad rotation, chopping and changing more of an issue. Much more evidence of this being the reason that blokes not getting paid for which we have absolutely no evidence.

Don’t you just love rumours……let’s hope nobody comes along with some facts to spoil things eh.

FEV FAN  1964 - present.

The players put more effort in last night than against Haven,but were outplayed by a much better side on the night,Bossy was the best forward on the field but we have lacked another big mobile prop all season Thackeray was very poor last night playing sideways instead of engaging the line a la Finn.Why even when 16 points behind did we still keep playing one man rugby,the first time we tried to be creative we scored off a good kick.For the last three years have i have said in previous posts the club has been run like a banana republic,something does not add up!..No more season ticket for me until we have a change in the running of OUR club.

As disapointing as last night was and it was truly awfull  there is still a lot if rugby to be played taking in to account the eagles really get up when they play us (if i was a fan id be asking why they cant perform against other teams like that ) plus the disruption of the half back combination added to the fact we just didnt play well 

its a real set back to the top four hopes and we now have to live in hope other teams drop points i dont know too much about the politics within the club i do know they were waiting to announce a sponser for one of the stands that would have brought some brass in im also aware our players earn good money compaired to other simlar championship clubs maybe we have overstreched ourselves fiancially i would rather see a hard working group of guys committed to the cause playing consistantly week in week out but we all no thats not always possible when the team  is getting changed all the time 

this season is not finished by a long way i really think the top four is out of reach now we will see

the buck has to stop with the coach he picks the team he chooses the tactics the players take instructions from him im not in any way advocating a change of coach yet  but making a point  if we dont make the four maybe we need to look at our overall selection and recrutement we have all enjoyed the halcian days of the powell era and that really has set the standard we now expect its plain to evryone he was an exceptional coach who was clearly too good for this competion we all also know  that replacing him and not dismantling  that team was a crucial decision we got it wrong and have suffered ever since i fear there will be a few more nights like last night before we get it right i hope any issues within the club dont hinder us going forward im not a fan of this top four fever ive said it before and i will say it again we always perform when we are up against it  we need that siege mentality back and just concentrate on each game without any added pressure and see were that takes us

An excellent post painkiller. I for my sins live in Cas, (go on have a good laugh)  Even Powell has had an up and down season with them.

I am therefore not in the know regarding behind the scenes goings on. I just love my team, and don't get upset if we try hard and come up short. The players are semi professional  and should always turn out and try their best. Not trying is not acceptable and they then have let the supporters, coaches and most of all themselves down. ie last night.

Sheffield have won a number of the home Friday night games against part time teams .....  in my opinion its a tactic employed by sheffield to gain maximum advantage against their part time opposition ....   How many Fev players did a full shift at work yesterday before playing??  8 of their 12 points have been gained on a Friday night, agains PT opposition!! (Fax, Swinton, Rams and Fev ) ..... 

I read you comments that Fev didn't play well ... but how would you play after 8 hours graft at work first?

If you look at my comments on the land we own there should be a scheme for using this asset to supplement the cash flow. Perhaps sometime the club will put us fully in the picture. Also where are we with the Winding Up Order.

If it's true you paid dewsbury £50k for Thackeray it was £49k too much!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

If it's true you paid dewsbury £50k for Thackeray it was £49k too much!

Speaking for myself, and a number of Rams fans ... I would have him back in a heartbeat ... I remember him beating the dogs almost on his own at batley last year .....   or have you conveniently forgotten that!! .. 

Speaking for myself, and a number of Rams fans ... I would have him back in a heartbeat ... I remember him beating the dogs almost on his own at batley last year ..... or have you conveniently forgotten that!! ..

Don't dispute he's a good player but £50k? I think an earlier poster asked how Fev get themselves into these financial predicaments? One of the answers is....

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

He's been unlucky with injury and rotation this year, no doubt he's a match winner on his day though. Don't think there's many half backs in the championship at the minute, who can produce a match winning play like thacks on his day.

He's average for the championship at best.

Before we start either recommending players or taking their performances to pieces the club should tell us the current position which would tell us where we stand.

1. Are we to be wound up

2. Can we afford to pay the players or not

3. Is the a very big crisis in the Boardroom 

4. If any or a lot of these problems are true what is being done about it.

5. Do our assets outweigh our liabilities

Give us some answers and then we will know where we stand and help if possible.

If you look at my comments on the land we own there should be a scheme for using this asset to supplement the cash flow. Perhaps sometime the club will put us fully in the picture. Also where are we with the Winding Up Order.

The value of the land might have fallen considerably with the result of the brexit vote, but chances are its value will rise again when things stabilise? It needs to be put on the back burner for the time being while common sense prevails and its eventually taken out of the green belt. It may be jam tomorrow but in the meanwhile the club needs to stabilise, maybe by reducing the playing budget for next year. Look how Batley are doing with a small fraction of the prize money that Halifax received from last year! Some clubs are performing way above their playing budget, which is something Fev used to be famous for.  

We will be reducing playing budgets by a considerable amount because attendances will drop i know plenty of supporters who did not buy a season ticket this season because of last years performances.However as Steve says Batley always seem to build decent teams with crowds 50% less than us.Sheffield before this season always outplayed their attendances,Two things in common both John Kear and Aston can spot decent players and mould them into a team as Powell did for FEV,prior to Feisal and Campbell telling him he was underachieving.

Before we start either recommending players or taking their performances to pieces the club should tell us the current position which would tell us where we stand.

1. Are we to be wound up

2. Can we afford to pay the players or not

3. Is the a very big crisis in the Boardroom

4. If any or a lot of these problems are true what is being done about it.

5. Do our assets outweigh our liabilities

Give us some answers and then we will know where we stand and help if possible.

You are dreaming if you expect answers to those questions

As much as I do sometimes enjoy coming on here for a little wind up, not all the time mind, I think you are all reading too much in to it. I usually hear from people connected to certain clubs when players are not getting paid hence my comments on a couple of Fax players, but I have heard nothing of the sort in all this. From what I can tell and from what I have heard its just the team/coach starting to settle down. You always get that little extra from players when they join a new club and it tends to make the current players give some more too. Add in to that a newish coach to these players and it could explain Fev's performances for most of the season. I was quite vocal pre-season in my thoughts about Jon Sharp and I am not surprised to see the players performances dropping off in the slightest although I didnt think you would have the start to the season you had.

FWIW I think a similar thing has happened at Fax this season although it has taken a bit longer to happen and it will be interesting to see how Marshall moves forward from here as a pretty young coach.

The value of the land might have fallen considerably with the result of the brexit vote, but chances are its value will rise again when things stabilise? It needs to be put on the back burner for the time being while common sense prevails and its eventually taken out of the green belt. It may be jam tomorrow but in the meanwhile the club needs to stabilise, maybe by reducing the playing budget for next year. Look how Batley are doing with a small fraction of the prize money that Halifax received from last year! Some clubs are performing way above their playing budget, which is something Fev used to be famous for.  

Irrespective of its value surely it is sense to apply for planning permission to take it out of the belt now? Why wait and have to start from scratch when we could be ready to go if everything is in order. Further if it remains our land then it's value if we are in charge of proceedings doesn't have the same significance as if we were selling. Until we are told where we are everything is hypothetical anyway.

Irrespective of its value surely it is sense to apply for planning permission to take it out of the belt now? Why wait and have to start from scratch when we could be ready to go if everything is in order. Further if it remains our land then it's value if we are in charge of proceedings doesn't have the same significance as if we were selling. Until we are told where we are everything is hypothetical anyway.

It might be all part of a master plan Colin, or at least I hope so? I would have though the new development on the old allotments would strengthen their case, but I don't know if the infrastructure, roads, drains etc, will have scope to be extended up to the land Rovers hold, but if so it would be better for all parties. Without access through to Pontefract Road without going via Station Lane getting planning permission would be harder and the land not as valuable. The town of Featherstone needs this, not just the Rovers.

Sheffield have won a number of the home Friday night games against part time teams .....  in my opinion its a tactic employed by sheffield to gain maximum advantage against their part time opposition ....   How many Fev players did a full shift at work yesterday before playing??  8 of their 12 points have been gained on a Friday night, agains PT opposition!! (Fax, Swinton, Rams and Fev ) ..... 

I read you comments that Fev didn't play well ... but how would you play after 8 hours graft at work first?

For many years, I watched players put in sterling performances after working alongside them on the coal face for up to seven hours. You either "face up" or request not to be selected.

Supporters paying good money are treated like mushrooms kept in the dark,However now Feisal is not here at least we are not being fed the sh-t.If it is true we paid Dewsbury 50 grand for Thackeray someone has thrown about 30 grand away.

Been watching Presley at York these past few weeks. He has certainly got them buzzing. The old, old story. We have released better players than we have recruited over the past few years.

Archived