Match Thread. Sheffield v Featherstone Rovers Friday 24th June 2016

marklaspalmas

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be all part of a master plan Colin, or at least I hope so? I would have though the new development on the old allotments would strengthen their case, but I don't know if the infrastructure, roads, drains etc, will have scope to be extended up to the land Rovers hold, but if so it would be better for all parties. Without access through to Pontefract Road without going via Station Lane getting planning permission would be harder and the land not as valuable. The town of Featherstone needs this, not just the Rovers.

of

Some very relevant points Steve. There will be snags and that is why they want dealing with now. Why wait? Even if we decide not to go down the road of development if we have planning and overcome the problems we have another valuable string in our bow. Regarding your other point perhaps we could look at going the old Cressy's corner way? I have seen the site plans in the past but can't bring to mind where all the plots are. One of the old problems was the NCB having some bore holes in the land but they have gone and here we are. It will be interesting to see the way things go. I think one of the so called potential investors had his eye on the land and that is why he showed an interest. It wants holding as a Featherstone Rovers appreciating asset so lets go for it.

I go on a daily walk through a disused area of land + old orchard.I have seen rabbits, foxes ,a heron ,kestrel and sparrow hawk.The other day a notice appeared applying for planning  to build 85 houses everyone who walks their dogs and take a daily stroll are gutted,but i would bet the planning will go through,I would estimate a price of 3 million plus, i will miss my daily stroll through the fields but people need houses.

Results have gone against us today. Some big performances needed over the next month and some help needed from other clubs.

I'm usually more optimistic than most about our prospects and I'm more forgiving than most when we lose. However we looked a beaten side from the kick off on Friday and I fear we'll win just one more game now. Today's results (particularly Fax's) were the final nail in the coffin for me - irrespective of our results.

It's a real shame that we've self destructed this year (again) after the huge effort that has been put in - and that we couldn't have at least taken it to the final game. At least last year when we blew it - there was a feeling that we hadn't deserved it.

Obviously people still clutch to straws but Sheffield aren't a patch on Fax or Batley and the manner of defeat there means that we cannot discount losing to Workington on Sunday who themselves are no mugs and will be desperate to fancy their chances against an under firing team.

I'm usually more optimistic than most about our prospects and I'm more forgiving than most when we lose. However we looked a beaten side from the kick off on Friday and I fear we'll win just one more game now. Today's results (particularly Fax's) were the final nail in the coffin for me - irrespective of our results.

It's a real shame that we've self destructed this year (again) after the huge effort that has been put in - and that we couldn't have at least taken it to the final game. At least last year when we blew it - there was a feeling that we hadn't deserved it.

Too much rotation. Too many players in the pool. Three quarters of the season gone and we still do not provide a settled regular side. This has been one of the major drawbacks in the Clubs organisation not only this year, but with past seasons, that is even with taking injuries into account. We have been screaming out for ages for a couple of good centres, to no avail.

Hmm. They are comparable in the sense that they are both not particularly good at it. Moore would claim to be a game manager but doesn't impose himself at the right times often enough. He has the vision and the kicking game but doesn't work well enough with his pack. His character isn't particularly suited to leadership either. Decent player on his day though.

Without wanting to rub it in too much, its like you must be describing a different player. Another MOM performance yesterday, he must be losing count, and he ran the show once again against a pretty decent team. Obviously I knew he was a decent player but I were a little sceptical given the things that opposition fans were saying but im actually surprised at just how good he actually is after watching him every week. I would be lying a little bit if I said it didnt make me chuckle that we ended up with Moore and Fev paid 50K for Thackery.

Without wanting to rub it in too much, its like you must be describing a different player. Another MOM performance yesterday, he must be losing count, and he ran the show once again against a pretty decent team. Obviously I knew he was a decent player but I were a little sceptical given the things that opposition fans were saying but im actually surprised at just how good he actually is after watching him every week. I would be lying a little bit if I said it didnt make me chuckle that we ended up with Moore and Fev paid 50K for Thackery.

ok, now chuckle off

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

Blues Ox, Is he playing in a different position for Fax? ie is he playing outside of Murrell? The reason I ask is that he was first receiver for Fev, but in my opinion he was not a gameplan manager, which is what Fev had been missing since Liam Finn went. If they'd had a proper traditional scrum half last year, with Moore at 6, and Sykes at centre, they would have walked into the top 4.

How do you actually know how much we paid fore Thackeray? Oxy boy.

I would think by now you would be sick of being slagged off, or what is more likely like Moore you are too thicked skinned

Blues Ox, Is he playing in a different position for Fax? ie is he playing outside of Murrell? The reason I ask is that he was first receiver for Fev, but in my opinion he was not a gameplan manager, which is what Fev had been missing since Liam Finn went. If they'd had a proper traditional scrum half last year, with Moore at 6, and Sykes at centre, they would have walked into the top 4.

I guess technically he is playing scrum half although Murrell and Moore are usually looking after different sides of the pitch with Moore mainly on the left. He had a significant hand in 5 of the 6 tries we scored against Bradford and just kicked them to death in the 2nd half to finish with a pretty clear MOM performance. Without having a dig maybe its our pack? We do have a very big, mobile pack and it is rare that we are dominated and we all know its easier for the half backs to play if your pack is on top.

How do you actually know how much we paid fore Thackeray? Oxy boy.

I would think by now you would be sick of being slagged off, or what is more likely like Moore you are too thicked skinned

People on here and people connected with Dewsbury said it were 50K. Ive no reason to doubt them to be honest and when I heard that you offered similar for Alex Rowe Im inclined to believe them.

You should see where Im coming from, but been a Fax fan(insert team) you have to be a bit thick skinned. :tongue:

People on here and people connected with Dewsbury said it were 50K. Ive no reason to doubt them to be honest and when I heard that you offered similar for Alex Rowe Im inclined to believe them.

You should see where Im coming from, but been a Fax fan(insert team) you have to be a bit thick skinned. :tongue:

It was a deal worth 50k,unless our chairman Mark Sawyer is lying,which I very much doubt.

It might be all part of a master plan Colin, or at least I hope so? I would have though the new development on the old allotments would strengthen their case, but I don't know if the infrastructure, roads, drains etc, will have scope to be extended up to the land Rovers hold, but if so it would be better for all parties. Without access through to Pontefract Road without going via Station Lane getting planning permission would be harder and the land not as valuable. The town of Featherstone needs this, not just the Rovers.

Who owns this land?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It was a deal worth 50k,unless our chairman Mark Sawyer is lying,which I very much doubt.

Graham,

So that could be 10k in 2016, 10k in 2017, 10k swap deal for Sykes, 10k if Fev make the top 4 in 2016 and 10k if Thackeray plays 25 games in 2016 or some other criteria. And therefore may not actually cost Fev 50k at all.

I am not saying anything in my suggestion is true by the way, but saying Fev acquired Thackeray in a deal worth 50k is very different to saying that Fev paid 50k for Thackeray.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Graham,

So that could be 10k in 2016, 10k in 2017, 10k swap deal for Sykes, 10k if Fev make the top 4 in 2016 and 10k if Thackeray plays 25 games in 2016 or some other criteria. And therefore may not actually cost Fev 50k at all.

I am not saying anything in my suggestion is true by the way, but saying Fev acquired Thackeray in a deal worth 50k is very different to saying that Fev paid 50k for Thackeray.

25K up front, 2.5K per month from your RFL money paid directly to Dewsbury this season. 50K genuinely.

Thackeray was under contract to Dewsbury for the whole of 2016, Sykes was out of contract at Fev at the end of last season. Wildie was out of contract at Dewsbury at the end of last season, hence no fee there either. It's all quite simple in Championship RL you know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Featherstone Rovers

OK. I was just wondering if it is simply the club that owns the land, the main shareholder, a holding company on behalf of the club, held against a bond etc. It has been known to happen hasn't it?

It has happened before to lots of companies but such circumstances don't apply to our club and any suggestions would have to be passed by the shareholders. As it stands we have an asset that is (with planning) worth a lot of money. Lots of possible snags but these can be overcome if we move forward. As I have said before lease not sell. We shall have to wait for the present circumstances to be clarified by the club management. Surprise statements and rumours are cropping up on a regular basis with us knowing what the real position is.

Archived