RLWC 2017

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very depressing draw that demonstrates the sports inability to influence what should have been the most senior government partner to support its biggest international event.

I am not sure I can be any more disappointed. Blame the NSW Government all you want. There is obviously no confidence within the organising committee that they possess the suitable strength in marketing and sales to sell out big stadiums for the big matches. An inability or lack of faith in driving profits from large attendances.

There is so much more a city and state can offer than a quick dollar to host matches.

No other state in Australia can offer this tournament:

- a larger number of existing supporters and club members

- a larger media presence

- a more diverse range of stadiums to host major and minor fixtures

- a better opportunity to sell 60k+ tickets for one game

- a broader spread of ex-pats or Australians with heritage from the participating nations

- a better opportunity to maximise match day sales of merchandise

I feel like we have just stepped back to 1954.

The last 3 Australia home tests played in NSW attracted crowds of 27 724 (Newcastle) 18 456 (Wollongong) 25429 (Sydney). The last 3 in Qld got 32 681, 47 813 (both Brisbane) and 26 497 (Townsville). Canberra's most recent Australia game got 25 628.

Recent history suggests that Sydney is not the place to play big international games. The state government isn't interested and the fans aren't willing to turn up in numbers.

I feel like we have just stepped back to 1954.

A tournament when games were played in all corners of the host nation and set attendance records that have never been equalled in the host country? (Paris (2 games), Nantes, Bordeaux, Lyon, Toulouse, Marseille.)

"Allocation of Quarter Final games to host cities will occur after the pool rounds"

Do we at least know the make-up of the quarter finals in terms of 2nd place group A will play winner group C etc? Or is it going to be rigged such that Australia and New Zealand are guaranteed to be kept apart in the semi-final?

None of these were World Cup fixtures Jon.

Sydney only this year hosted two SOO fixtures with 60k+ fans at each. One being a dead rubber. Sydney fans will go watch an event.

just because the state government didn't want to pay in cash, doesn't mean the state government didn't have other key resources to deriviate a cash profit.

Do we at least know the make-up of the quarter finals in terms of 2nd place group A will play winner group C etc? Or is it going to be rigged such that Australia and New Zealand are guaranteed to be kept apart in the semi-final?

I imagine it will be the same as 2013, they are trying to keep NZ and Aus apart till the final but they could play eachother beforehand, especially if England beat Australia in Melbourne.

Three png games will sell out in 2 mins - boom! Good look

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Not playing at the MCG is nothing to do with lack of ambition. There's an ashes series on at the same time/just after the WC.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that. Rather I had understood that we were looking to play there. One thing I did want to stress was that the lack of games in NSW is not through a decision to take games elsewhere. It is entirely to do with a bidding process and the NSW folk being outbid by a distance.

None of these were World Cup fixtures Jon.

OK, so look at the most recent World Cup games in Sydney

15 855 for the  Australia v Fiji semi final

8 028 for France v Samoa, 6165 for Ireland v Tonga

There was 1 good crowd - 34 157 for the opener against NZ, not a sell out and still less than the games in Melbourne & Brisbane got.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that. Rather I had understood that we were looking to play there. One thing I did want to stress was that the lack of games in NSW is not through a decision to take games elsewhere. It is entirely to do with a bidding process and the NSW folk being outbid by a distance.

By stating outbid, I assume you mean NSW bid nothing?

Queensland Government paid over $3m, NT Government over $0.5m, ACT supposedly around $2m and Victorian Government a similar amount. Some very welcome funds to help setup the tournament.

Whilst I would have liked to see Newcastle and Gosford get some games, I support the RLWC OC chasing the coin. This tournament needs to make enough to support future growth by the RLIF so beggers can't be choosers.

From a capacity side, the tournament has taken a nice step up. Big enough to deliever growth but small enough to still sell out or at least look full on TV.

Interesting figures, be keen to know what venues bid in 08 and 13. Given the UK govt has committed £15 million already to the next one if in UK then things should go from strength to strength.

I don't think it's an eye catching list of venues but I'm pleased with the diversity. Would have preferred a couple more blockbusters but fully support going where places want/bid most for it

I could see how fans of sports who don't have world cups could be confused by this. indeed feign dismay, but aside from the lack of the MCG it works a treat from what I can see.

Quarter finals are always the hardest sells and the ones with least lead times, so no surprise that these are a weak link.

I like:

- PNG'a 3 games - while we have known this for a while, this is still absolutely fabulous for the game;

- the breadth of interest in NZ. That can really transform the game over there if we get it right;

- the choice of Perth for an England game. That should really work well;

- that Quesnsland gets so many games. They love their league throughout the State and will sell out every venue; and

- that we know now and can plan now. A first by some distance!

Of course it could be better, but it is a million times better than 2008, will generate massive (for us) profits and could well set up the game in NZ and PNG for years to come.

If NSW wants more international league it can bid for games in the Confederations Trophy in 2019. It is within their own powers to fix this.

Sydney only this year hosted two SOO fixtures with 60k+ fans at each. One being a dead rubber. Sydney fans will go watch an event.

Could that be the problem with Sydney fans,SOO is the be all and end all.

Maybe if they supported the international game more..................

Great to finally have it all in place, dead right to take the games to highest bidders. Should have a massive impact on future of the sport and also adds a bit of spice for this autumn's 4 nations. My only slight disappointment as an armchair fan: if I read it right Oz vs England, Oz vs France and potentially England semifinal will all be played on a Friday in the middle of the working day European time. This might limit how much the tournement catches wider audience in the NH. Ah well, I think I can feel a bit of a cold coming on already...

Great to finally have it all in place, dead right to take the games to highest bidders. Should have a massive impact on future of the sport and also adds a bit of spice for this autumn's 4 nations. My only slight disappointment as an armchair fan: if I read it right Oz vs England, Oz vs France and potentially England semifinal will all be played on a Friday in the middle of the working day European time. This might limit how much the tournement catches wider audience in the NH. Ah well, I think I can feel a bit of a cold coming on already...

If England whoop the Aussies in the first game it will do more than any kick off time could. England would have a pretty straight forward route to the final.

An expensive trip...5 weeks plus from start to finish.

Fly into Melbourne for game one then Melbourne to Sydney ..cheap enough 80 quid..

Sydney to Perth 6/7 hour trip 200 quid.

Then a five/seven day turn around either back to Melbourne (250) or travel to Darwin(250) Christchurch (350) or Wellington (350).

get through that and its then Aukland or Brisbane (240) for the semi finals.

So a rough guide to internal flights to just follow England ...800-1,000 pounds..OUCH !!!

Off course it would be great to head up to Cairns or Townsville for a couple of games.

Logistic's going to be a nightmare if booking independent.

Could become a Lebanon fan..... Two games in Canberra then short road trip up to Sydney :-) 

When will we/they know how the QF's will pan out.

Be a bumber buying a ticket for Melbourne then England travel to Darwin !!!!!

Why could they not give the draw right through ie winners Group A v 3rd Group B then it would narrow down the guessing a bit.

Do you reckon anyone invited them to the launch? Or emailed the press release over? Looks like the Sydney Morning Herald wasn't invited anyway, based on the wording of their report.

I think the SMH is just bitter. They think the whole universe revolves around Sydney. 

I think my view is a little mixed on this.

Positives:

> Variety - some different grounds from last time. We don't just want to see the same as 2008 otherwise these World Cups lose some of their 'specialness' (is that a word?)

> Geographical spread - whilst lack of some places in Oz is a surprise, this will be a massive World Cup geographically - Port Moresby to Perth to Melbourne, to Canberra, to Sydney, to Brisbane, to Wellington, to Christchurch etc.

> Quality of venues - look at the Wikipedia page where they have pics of the grounds and it looks like we have a great selections of grounds that differ from the regular NRL games that will be staged that year.

> The draw - some great clashes - games that I instantly want to see are the likes of PNG vs USA rather than the 'big' games.

> Capacities - ambitious but sensible - complete sellouts will see c650k. Not as ambitious as England's 2021 bid, and not a massive step up from 2013, but should see an increase.

> The grounds have been secured without naming rights, suggesting a more serious approach to sponsorship/

Negatives:

> The lack of NSW games is quite apparent, and it is a shame that we were not prepared to use the Olympic Stadium with or without subsidies. Sad to see no Eden Park too.

> The big events - real lack of ambition I sense - Opener will be c30k (down from 42k in 2013 and 34k in 2008), Final will have 20k fewer than 2013.

> Amateur presentation - the website is still rubbish, no logos are used (generic flags), no photos of the grounds that have been announced. It comes to something when the wiki page is better than the official site.

> Tickets still not on sale. I appreciate that not all teams are confirmed, but just sell the final, semis and opener for now?

> The quarter final situation is pathetic and treats touring fans with contempt.

Fair play to the organisers for at least giving England fans the big city opportunity. I think it will pay them back with a massive following. Sending England to Townsville and Newcastle in 2008 was a disgrace. The game at SFS against Lebanon will be a great occasion with thousands of England fans and ex-pats and Lebanese ex-pats.

I see the CEO of Penrith has thrown his teddy out of the cot. Western Sydney and Woolongong may be hot beds of the game but nobody turned up when they had games in 2008.

Archived