RLWC 2017

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 08 because of the issues figuring out semi locations etc. I went for three weeks and took in all England's groups games. Townsville, Melbourne and Newcastle. Great trip. Doing same again would be good next year if anyone is really worried about being in the wrong country for a semi (I too would have no interest in being in NZ if Eng were in Brisbane!)

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

One more thing to bear in mind in the NSW or cash debate is that this World Cup will for the first time In our history make significant sums of money for the international game. Which in turn will mean that we can have a fully staffed and funded RLIF for the first time in our history. We will really be on the march.

One of the many benefits of that will be that we will ensure that the Premier sports debacle (which was a consequence of going with IMG exclusively) won't be repeated. As we will learn soon enough when they announce broadcasting arrangements beyond 2017.

You should take advantage of that to bundle him onto a plane home. He'll have wowed the natives before you can say "home made Trevi Fountain".

Toddy loves Canet-en-Roussillon and the cheap drinks of "Rue de la Soif" where fans can see him in his darkest outfit every week. Home made trevi fountain suits him. It suits him even more after hearing his latest exploits. 

If Canet was in Australia, he would have been sacked long ago. 

As for Sydney getting two group games...

I can only imagine the claims of heresy on this forum when the 2021 tournament hosted by England alone schedules only two group matches in Yorks, two group games in Lancs and the rest of the tournament played in Coventry, Devon, Norwich, Southampton and London.

As for Sydney getting two group games...

I can only imagine the claims of heresy on this forum when the 2021 tournament hosted by England alone schedules only two group matches in Yorks, two group games in Lancs and the rest of the tournament played in Coventry, Devon, Norwich, Southampton and London.

disingenious. Places like Brisbane, Townsville, Canberra, Melbourne, Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Port Moresby are all well established Rugby League areas so nothing like your nonsense.

disingenious. Places like Brisbane, Townsville, Canberra, Melbourne, Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington, Port Moresby are all well established Rugby League areas so nothing like your nonsense.

Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Auckland vs Wakefield, Castleford, Widnes and Hull. 

Pick your side.

Townsville - reigning NRL champions.

Nrisbane, Melbourne - top NRL sides.

Port Moresby - biggest problem will be fitting everyone in and avoiding a riot!

Cairns - strong team in the Queensland competition.

Interesting to see if NZ can attract crowds to the regional games from people who normally watch the other code.

Darwin is the weirdest choice. My daughter lived there for over a year and she described the weather in summer as "minging".

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Yep, not many people know that the stadium at Christchurch is actually owned by the Christchurch Rugby League.

He's AFL. The whole World Cuo thing confuses and bewilders...

Gotta love the crack....be interesting to see how many we take downunder..I have a wedding in Robertson (home farming village of Nathan Hindmarsh...a Legend and Rotterdam Nines champions 2016 .Go Robertson Spuddies Groups Six CRL)  in February but will be making a big effort to make sure I am in Melbourne for the opener......Hope my boss has plenty of overtime in the summer because if its the choice of winter in Norway or winter in Australia its a no brainer.Cant wait bring it on  ;)

The bubbler needs to play for France. Lebanon will be heritage stacked

And people will wonder why France is "so bad" when most of the teams in the tournament are full of aussies.

Just checked the team that Lebanon had against South Africa. Out of 21 players called, only 3 or4 played in Lebanon. 4 played for Newton Jets, 2 for Wentworthwille Magpies and 2 for Mount Pritchard Mounties. So that makes it 8 NSW Cup players. Plus, some NRL players and Ron Massey Cup players. 

That was against South Africa. Imagine for the World Cup. We can expect Farah, Lichaa, Mannah and Moses to put their hands up. Maybe Mansour but it is likely he'll get in the Aussie squad.

It's funny so many people are like "lol lebanon" when they're going to field a team probably stronger than Ireland/Wales. If I'm honest I think it's going to be really hard for France to beat them if they field 5-6 NRL players and NSW Cup players.  

it we need the bubbler so much...

Wifes Dutch family in Melbourne,loads of mates in Robbo (1 hour from Sydney) Son in Perth,,,,,massive ex team mates in Aukland..if the draw is kind and results go Englands way could be a nice trip.Planning with Les and Peter Gorley (Widnes and Saints fan will remember then ) for a 60th birthday plus a reunion for Peter with Mal Menninga.No matter how you look at it trip of a lifetime...get on the planes guys  :bye:

In 08 because of the issues figuring out semi locations etc. I went for three weeks and took in all England's groups games. Townsville, Melbourne and Newcastle. Great trip. Doing same again would be good next year if anyone is really worried about being in the wrong country for a semi (I too would have no interest in being in NZ if Eng were in Brisbane!)

All this talk of the semis re which game should England fans book for/go to … they are on 2 different days. I know it's gonna cost serious $$$, but can't England fans book and go to BOTH semis???

Townsville - reigning NRL champions.

Nrisbane, Melbourne - top NRL sides.

Port Moresby - biggest problem will be fitting everyone in and avoiding a riot!

Cairns - strong team in the Queensland competition.

Interesting to see if NZ can attract crowds to the regional games from people who normally watch the other code.

Darwin is the weirdest choice. My daughter lived there for over a year and she described the weather in summer as "minging".

That's a fairly accurate description so id hope it'll be played in the evening. Not such a weird choice though, the NRL has really looked to develop the game in the Northern Territory and whilst the population is small, more people play the game there, per person of the state, than any other Australian state. The junior development in the NT is particularly strong with a number turning out for the Aussie Schoolboys

How many of the England supporter's who pre book the trip which includes the scheduled semi for Auckland will be secretly (or otherwise) not bothered or hoping for a loss against Aus at the opener in Melbourne.

Glory Days the tour operator and League Express partners are suggesting that will be the outcome of game 1, if I read it correctly beating Aus would mean we would be playing the semi in Brisbane, losing against Aus we play in Auckland. No disrespect to France and Lebanon, neither team should beat England or Aus so game 1 dictates the venue for which team in the semi's.

Coñsidering that Glory Days are a travel company, who are the experts advising them that England will lose the first game (would League Express care to answer is it you or the two ambassador's already signed up, Mr. Schofield and Mr. Kenny) or would I be too cynical to suggest that choosing Auckland over Brisbane would mean extra flights, transfers etc which would mean more profit?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

An expensive trip...5 weeks plus from start to finish.

Fly into Melbourne for game one then Melbourne to Sydney ..cheap enough 80 quid..

Sydney to Perth 6/7 hour trip 200 quid.

Then a five/seven day turn around either back to Melbourne (250) or travel to Darwin(250) Christchurch (350) or Wellington (350).

get through that and its then Aukland or Brisbane (240) for the semi finals.

So a rough guide to internal flights to just follow England ...800-1,000 pounds..OUCH !!!

Off course it would be great to head up to Cairns or Townsville for a couple of games.

Logistic's going to be a nightmare if booking independent.

Could become a Lebanon fan..... Two games in Canberra then short road trip up to Sydney :-) 

When will we/they know how the QF's will pan out.

Be a bumber buying a ticket for Melbourne then England travel to Darwin !!!!!

Why could they not give the draw right through ie winners Group A v 3rd Group B then it would narrow down the guessing a bit.

Anyone planning to come over for the tournament, sign up to the email lists for Jetstar, Virgin and Tiger. You will then be notified of sale fares. Honestly, they have sales constantly, often released maybe six months (or less) ahead of the travel period. You can pick up dead cheap fares if you keep an eye out. No point looking at the fares now.

How many of the England supporter's who pre book the trip which includes the scheduled semi for Auckland will be secretly (or otherwise) not bothered or hoping for a loss against Aus at the opener in Melbourne.

Glory Days the tour operator and League Express partners are suggesting that will be the outcome of game 1, if I read it correctly beating Aus would mean we would be playing the semi in Brisbane, losing against Aus we play in Auckland. No disrespect to France and Lebanon, neither team should beat England or Aus so game 1 dictates the venue for which team in the semi's.

Coñsidering that Glory Days are a travel company, who are the experts advising them that England will lose the first game (would League Express care to answer is it you or the two ambassador's already signed up, Mr. Schofield and Mr. Kenny) or would I be too cynical to suggest that choosing Auckland over Brisbane would mean extra flights, transfers etc which would mean more profit?

To be fair, it is sensible to go off the seedings, based on that we will play in Auckland in the semi finals.

That said, I am very surprised there isn't an optional extra to fly back for the 2nd semi final - trying to pass it off as watching the better semi final is just quite simply bizarre.

To be fair, it is sensible to go off the seedings, based on that we will play in Auckland in the semi finals.

That said, I am very surprised there isn't an optional extra to fly back for the 2nd semi final - trying to pass it off as watching the better semi final is just quite simply bizarre.

Or even an alternative itinerary, that would go directly to Brisbane after the QF's.

That way, the pessimistic about England's fate can go to Auckland, the optimistic to Brisbane.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Coñsidering that Glory Days are a travel company, [...] would I be too cynical to suggest that choosing Auckland over Brisbane would mean extra flights, transfers etc which would mean more profit?

Maybe, as a travel company, they've been to both countries before, know how wonderful New Zealand is in comparison to Australia, and assume that, given the choice, most people would prefer a week in Godzone over sleepy Brissie? :tongue:  

it's going to be really hard for France to beat them if they field 5-6 NRL players and NSW Cup players.  

Most of the French team will come from a top-4 club in SL, surely better than Wentworthville, Newtown etc?

Lebanon were beaten by the Cook Islands in Sydney in May - Cook Islands didn't qualify for the WC. I think it will be a good game, but France should surely be favourites.

Archived