RLWC 2017

Flights are much cheaper than that - you booking business class?

Just done a quick scan for cheap flights.These are booking for July 2017 as thats as far in front they go.

Jetstar ..bucket aussie airline ..Melbourne to Perth 378 dollars/215 pound unless you want to arrive at 01:30 am then its cheaper of course ...Virgin Australia 379 Tiger Air 200.Quantas from 219 to 619.

As I said logistics will be a nightmare getting flights to coincide with England games and at suitable times.

These are booking now and everyone knows the later you leave it the more expensive flights become.

Any pointers to cheaper airlines of course are more than welcome ;-)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just done a quick scan for cheap flights.These are booking for July 2017 as thats as far in front they go.

Jetstar ..bucket aussie airline ..Melbourne to Perth 378 dollars/215 pound unless you want to arrive at 01:30 am then its cheaper of course ...Virgin Australia 379 Tiger Air 200.Quantas from 219 to 619.

As I said logistics will be a nightmare gettig flights to coincide with England games and at suitable times.

These are booking now and everyone knows the later you leave it the more expensive flights become.

Same as ever with England down under, always sent all over the place

I was lucky to go in 08 - I knew when and where the games were which was essential in planning. The lack of confirmation on quarter finals and semi finals are just ridiculous. I know from 08 plenty just came for the last three weeks of the tour. That seems impossible if you want to follow a specific team

From reading the League Express package details it gives this info about England games:

> England will play the Quarter Final in Melbourne if they come 1st or 2nd in Group A
> If England win group A they will pay the Semi Final in Brisbane 
> If England are runners up in group A they will pay the Semi Final in Auckland

For our England tours we have therefore planned for 
Semi Final – Auckland (if England win the group this semi-final will probably be New Zealand v Australia which will still be the best Semi Final to see)

Sorry, but if I was in Auckland when England were playing a World Cup Semi Final in Brisbane, I would be very disappointed.

This is probably where a double header could have worked brilliantly.

> The quarter final situation is pathetic and treats touring fans with contempt.

I think it probably makes sense to let Aussie & Kiwi fans know where their quarter finals and semi finals will be, as they have done, more important than any other teams' fans.

For England fans, you've potentially got 5 days to sort out getting from Perth to Darwin or Melbourne (could be a fun road trip?) or flights to NZ (which would be expensive last minute.) You'd think it would be possible to lay out the various options (England finish 1st, NZ finish 2nd, the game is here, England finish 2nd, the game is here etc. etc)

The PNG/ North Queensland group game possibilities look interesting as a tourist, guess we won't know kick-off times for a while yet.

I can't begin to describe what a huge mistake it was selling the RLWC UK rights to Premier Sports. It pretty much made it simple for Sky to ignore anything about the World Cup and they will continue to do so. The potential coverage on Sky Sports News alone would have been worth its weight in gold.

I can't begin to describe what a huge mistake it was selling the RLWC UK rights to Premier Sports. It pretty much made it simple for Sky to ignore anything about the World Cup and they will continue to do so. The potential coverage on Sky Sports News alone would have been worth its weight in gold.

We have to live with it for 2017, but hopefully this is the last of these ridiculous decisions that we have to put up with.

It would be great if the BBC picked up a fair few games, but I won't hold my breath.

In terms of broadcasting - at least the organisers have put England's first game and opener at a decent time. Oh no, it is on a Friday when many will be at work.

With Ray Warren retiring there could be a bit of a shuffle going on at the end of this season at 9 and Fox. I only ever watch the Fox coverage of NRL but I don't think Channel 9 has a clear heir to Ray Warren.

Warren Smith will replace Ray Warren.

From reading the League Express package details it gives this info about England games:

> England will play the Quarter Final in Melbourne if they come 1st or 2nd in Group A

That's helpful, thanks. I guess it's only if we're 3rd in the group that we'd end up in NZ, against 1st or 2nd from group B.

Sky didn't want it, what did you expect to happen?

We have to live with it for 2017, but hopefully this is the last of these ridiculous decisions that we have to put up with.

It would be great if the BBC picked up a fair few games, but I won't hold my breath.

In terms of broadcasting - at least the organisers have put England's first game and opener at a decent time. Oh no, it is on a Friday when many will be at work.

I think the BBC will pick up quite a few more games than 2013 - partly because the times are really convenient for them in regards to shunting other stuff. Also, with 7 broadcasting all the games you have a better quality of coverage. It will be bad form if the beeb only take the England games when Wales and Scotland could be there.

The Premier Sports deal was the most idiotic I have come across and why sign away 2017 in 2013 to a bit part operator. The huge value Sky Sports brings is the constant repeats of games and the filler content on Sky Sports News 24/7. Even BT may have bid if the ancillary rights were on offer.

Sky didn't want it, what did you expect to happen?

So why sell rights to TWO World Cups to a tiny bit-part sports channel with no reach? I could just about stomach 2013 but selling 2013 and 2017 to Premier Sports was lunacy.

Apparently Premier Sports have lost the NRL coverage too going forward - making the decision more idiotic.

Three png games will sell out in 2 mins - boom! Good look

I may be currently looking for employment, but manning the Port Moresby ticket office after all their venues have sold out... there's not enough danger money in the world! B) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

All the England tour packages I've seen seem to be banking on England losing the opening game against Australia. What will happen if we whoop the Aussies in Melbourne? You could have thousands of England tour fans stuck in Auckland.

I think it was Spud who put on another forum that a semi-final weekend in one venue (Brisbane or Sydney or Eden Park) would have been great for a carnival atmosphere for the fans. I tend to agree.

As I said logistics will be a nightmare getting flights to coincide with England games and at suitable times.

No idea where you're looking but you're not looking in the right places. Ok so let's look at comparable dates this year (3 months away), assuming you're in Melbourne you can fly a day or two after said match to Sydney for £45. Then the week after you can do the same from Sydney to Perth for £108.

Alternatively I can recommend getting a round the world ticket to provide additional flexibility, just speak to someone like trailfinders. Other travel agents are available

Whatever you think about the venues and schedules, it's talk of the next world cup and it's exciting!  I just hope that BBC show as many as possible, and highlights packages of the none British nations.  I also hope that they will cover it properly in terms of reporters/news pieces.  I'm not expecting a full team out there but it would be good to have, in addition to match coverage, a few off the field articles and give us back here a flavour of the excitement.  I'm mainly thinking about PNG!

Same as ever with England down under, always sent all over the place

In 2013, Australia played their group games in Cardiff, St Helens and Limerick

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

In 2013, Australia played their group games in Cardiff, St Helens and Limerick

Following Oz in the World Cup in 2013 saw them take in:

Cardiff

St Helens

Limerick

Wrexham

London

Manchester

Limerick may be a bit of a pain, but other than that, you can drive around or jump on a quick train journey.

Basd on seedings, England are likely to have:

Melbourne

Perth

Sydney

Melbourne

Auckland

Brisbane

That sounds like a hell of a tour, but not easy or cheap.

> If England win group A they will pay the Semi Final in Brisbane 

> If England are runners up in group A they will pay the Semi Final in Auckland

For our England tours we have therefore planned for 

Semi Final – Auckland (if England win the group this semi-final will probably be New Zealand v Australia which will still be the best Semi Final to see)

Sorry, but if I was in Auckland when England were playing a World Cup Semi Final in Brisbane, I would be very disappointed.

This is probably where a double header could have worked brilliantly.

I have really been looking forward for the itinerary to be published and booking my seats on the plane for family members and myself, my chosen method would have been to place my business with a company such as TRL's travel partners to be hassle free letting them do the arrangements.

But, my main reason and only reason is to watch my country, call me faddy if you wish but I have no desire whatsoever in travelling 13,000+ miles for the off chance to be another couple of thousand from where England are playing. Is it clear were the semi would be played that would involve England should they make it, or is that still to be appointed? I will not be making a booking on hearsay.

The scheduling has gone like a lead balloon in my household, I am considering the far cheaper option of investing in Premier Sports for the duration of the competition.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I have really been looking forward for the itinerary to be published and booking my seats on the plane for family members and myself, my chosen method would have been to place my business with a company such as TRL's travel partners to be hassle free letting them do the arrangements.

But, my main reason and only reason is to watch my country, call me faddy if you wish but I have no desire whatsoever in travelling 13,000+ miles for the off chance to be another couple of thousand from where England are playing. Is it clear were the semi would be played that would involve England should they make it, or is that still to be appointed? I will not be making a booking on hearsay.

The scheduling has gone like a lead balloon in my household, I am considering the far cheaper option of investing in Premier Sports for the duration of the competition.

the league express packages are good and detailed and explain how this works, but they do juat say that they will have you in auckland watching aus v kiwis

the league express packages are good and detailed and explain how this works, but they do juat say that they will have you in auckland watching aus v kiwis

Then I would sooner stay at home Dave.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Even those coming out for the semi final and final tour package could realise they will be in the wrong country from England's game 2 hours after the tournament kicks off.

Question: What's the difference between watching England on the TV in a bar New Zealand or on the TV at home?

Answer: 13000 miles and a lot of bloody money.

I thought knock out competitions always had some inherent uncertainty? How much notice did England football fans have in the Euros after their group games? I know it is a very long way but won't we know by day 2 pretty much which semi we are likely to play in?

The more I think about it, the more excited I am. The pros massively outweigh the cons for mine. I wish they could have played some games in Coventry and think not playing somewhere bigger in Melbourne is a mistake, but we know 15 months in advance which major cities we will play group games in, while the games in NZ and PNG can plan for the biggest show in their RL existence. Bring it on!

Archived