RLWC 2017

I re-formatted the draw to make it a bit more readable

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tournament Draw
*Kick off times to be announced ahead of tournament

Date Match Type Match-Up Venue

27/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Australia vs England Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 PNG v Euro Q1 Port Moresby (venue TBA)

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 New Zealand vs Samoa Mt Smart, Auckland

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Fiji vs USA Townsville Stadium

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Scotland vs Tonga Barlow Park, Cairns

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Euro Q2 vs Euro Q3 Barlow Park, Cairns

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 France vs Lebanon Canberra Stadium

3/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Australia vs France Canberra Stadium

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 New Zealand vs Scotland    Christchurch Stadium

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Samoa vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 England vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 PNG vs Euro Q2 Port Moresby (venue TBA)

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Euro Q3 vs USA Townsville Stadium

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Fiji vs Euro Q1 Townsville Stadium

10/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Fiji vs Euro Q3 Canberra Stadium

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Samoa vs Scotland Barlow Park, Cairns

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 New Zealand vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Australia vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 PNG vs USA Port Moresby (venue TBA)

12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3      Euro Q1 vs Euro Q2 Perth Rectangular Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool - Round 3 England vs France  Perth Rectangular Stadium

17/11/2017      Quarter Final   Darwin Stadium

18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Christchurch Stadium

18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Wellington Regional Stadium

19/11/2017 Quarter Final   Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

24/11/2017 Semi Final   Brisbane Stadium

25/11/2017 Semi Final   Mt Smart, Auckland

2/12/017 Final   Brisbane Stadium

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i see we've been punted around the continent as per usual

melbourne

sydney

perth for the group games

darwin or wellington in the 1/4s 

auckland or brisbane for the semi's

brisbane for the final

my quick glance planning goes follow england to melbourne,sydney & perth...then head back to melbourne for the 4th 1/4 final..then upto surfers paradise/brisbane for the last 2 weeks

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

England are playing in far better places than where we shunted Oz in '13.

The only observations I would make are:

- this has been driven by who will pay what for the games, to ensure the game will make a (relative) fortune. As it happens, in Oz at least we are playing in places with demonstrable appetite for our game and so can fill grounds;

- I was very surprised that we are not playing at the MCG - that is the one decision which I think shows a lack of ambition;

- the 1/4s are in odd places, which makes it hard to plan a trip that straddles the group games and the later ones... and

- is this early enough for everyone? Again, it just sounds and feels professional.

double headers

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Scotland vs Tonga Barlow Park, Cairns

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Euro Q2 vs Euro Q3 Barlow Park, Cairns

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Euro Q3 vs USA Townsville Stadium

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Fiji vs Euro Q1 Townsville Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3   Euro Q1 vs Euro Q2 Perth Rectangular Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool - Round 3  England vs France  Perth Rectangular Stadium

thats 3 games that could have gone elsewhere imo

OLDHAM RLFC

According to the SMH Sydney went from hosting a final etc to just 2 pool games very recently after pulling funding. The draw had to be reconfigured too. Bad form by the NSW government.  We will never know if the nsw government was trying to get something for nothing...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/lack-of-funding-ensured-sydney-lost-the-rights-to-a-rugby-league-world-cup-final-20160719-gq8vah.html

Awful draw for the once in a lifetime trip RL fan. If I go I can only reasonably do 3 or 4 games.

There's 5 games between Sydney and Canberra..  they are only 3 to 4 hours from each other.  However, I appreciate that many fans from abroad will want to see some of the BIG games and see a few locations across Australia.

i see we've been punted around the continent as per usual

melbourne

sydney

perth for the group games

darwin or wellington in the 1/4s 

auckland or brisbane for the semi's

brisbane for the final

my quick glance planning goes follow england to melbourne,sydney & perth...then head back to melbourne for the 4th 1/4 final..then upto surfers paradise/brisbane for the last 2 weeks

Little consideration given to England's travelling fans from Blighty, OK I see the sense in taking the games where they consider a captive ex-pat community are going to be clamouring for tickets, but the number of flights, distance to travel and the expense and disruption of those travel arrangements will for me and i suspect others will impact on the duration I would probably be going for.

I have signed up to receive information from TRL's travel partners, it will be interesting to see the alternative trips they will make available, especially for the fact that they will only have a week to arrange taking the fans to the QF's and then the SF's it is not as though they are around the corner from each other.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

England are playing in far better places than where we shunted Oz in '13.

The only observations I would make are:

- this has been driven by who will pay what for the games, to ensure the game will make a (relative) fortune. As it happens, in Oz at least we are playing in places with demonstrable appetite for our game and so can fill grounds;

- I was very surprised that we are not playing at the MCG - that is the one decision which I think shows a lack of ambition;

- the 1/4s are in odd places, which makes it hard to plan a trip that straddles the group games and the later ones... and

- is this early enough for everyone? Again, it just sounds and feels professional.

Not playing at the MCG is nothing to do with lack of ambition. There's an ashes series on at the same time/just after the WC.

I re-formatted the draw to make it a bit more readable

Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tournament Draw

*Kick off times to be announced ahead of tournament

Date Match Type Match-Up Venue

27/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Australia vs England Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 PNG v Euro Q1 Port Moresby (venue TBA)

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 New Zealand vs Samoa Mt Smart, Auckland

28/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Fiji vs USA Townsville Stadium

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Scotland vs Tonga Barlow Park, Cairns

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 Euro Q2 vs Euro Q3 Barlow Park, Cairns

29/10/2017 Pool – Round 1 France vs Lebanon Canberra Stadium

3/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Australia vs France Canberra Stadium

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 New Zealand vs Scotland    Christchurch Stadium

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Samoa vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

4/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 England vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 PNG vs Euro Q2 Port Moresby (venue TBA)

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Euro Q3 vs USA Townsville Stadium

5/11/2017 Pool – Round 2 Fiji vs Euro Q1 Townsville Stadium

10/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Fiji vs Euro Q3 Canberra Stadium

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Samoa vs Scotland Barlow Park, Cairns

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 New Zealand vs Tonga Waikato Stadium, Hamilton

11/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 Australia vs Lebanon Sydney Football Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3 PNG vs USA Port Moresby (venue TBA)

12/11/2017 Pool – Round 3      Euro Q1 vs Euro Q2 Perth Rectangular Stadium

12/11/2017 Pool - Round 3 England vs France  Perth Rectangular Stadium

17/11/2017      Quarter Final   Darwin Stadium

18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Christchurch Stadium

18/11/2017 Quarter Final   Wellington Regional Stadium

19/11/2017 Quarter Final   Melbourne Rectangular Stadium

24/11/2017 Semi Final   Brisbane Stadium

25/11/2017 Semi Final   Mt Smart, Auckland

2/12/017 Final   Brisbane Stadium

Wish I'd seen that before I deciphered it all myself!

Fixtures are also listed at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com ;)

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

According to the SMH Sydney went from hosting a final etc to just 2 pool games very recently after pulling funding. The draw had to be reconfigured too. Bad form by the NSW government. We will never know if the nsw government was trying to get something for nothing...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/lack-of-funding-ensured-sydney-lost-the-rights-to-a-rugby-league-world-cup-final-20160719-gq8vah.html

Interesting, I'm sure there'll be a bit of a backlash from some NSW fans (mainly towards their govt). Sounds like perhaps the RLIF didn't get quite a good deal as hoped with the late withdrawal of funding from NSW but let's hope they still got a good deal.

The Lebanon matches in Sydney should be well supported with the large communities there

Interesting, I'm sure there'll be a bit of a backlash from some NSW fans (mainly towards their govt).

Nope, it'll be towards the RLIF/ARL/NRL etc

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Cairns, Aus 3

Canberra, Aus 3

Port Moresby, PNG 3

Townsville, Aus 3

Melbourne, Aus 2

Auckland, NZ 2

Brisbane, Aus 2

Christchurch, NZ 2

Hamilton, NZ 2

Perth, Aus 2

Sydney, Aus 2

Darwin, Aus 1

Wellington, NZ 1

Cairns, Aus       3
Canberra, Aus     3
Port Moresby, PNG 3
Townsville, Aus   3
Melbourne, Aus    2
Auckland, NZ      2
Brisbane, Aus     2
Christchurch, NZ  2
Hamilton, NZ      2
Perth, Aus        2
Sydney, Aus       2
Darwin, Aus       1
Wellington, NZ    1

Thanks, good to see such diversity of venue in NZ

How are the Quarters and Semis determined?

"Allocation of Quarter Final games to host cities will occur after the pool rounds"

Queensland Government paid over $3m, NT Government over $0.5m, ACT supposedly around $2m and Victorian Government a similar amount. Some very welcome funds to help setup the tournament.

Whilst I would have liked to see Newcastle and Gosford get some games, I support the RLWC OC chasing the coin. This tournament needs to make enough to support future growth by the RLIF so beggers can't be choosers.

From a capacity side, the tournament has taken a nice step up. Big enough to deliever growth but small enough to still sell out or at least look full on TV.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Queensland Government paid over $3m, NT Government over $0.5m, ACT supposedly around $2m and Victorian Government a similar amount. Some very welcome funds to help setup the tournament.

Whilst I would have liked to see Newcastle and Gosford get some games, I support the RLWC OC chasing the coin. This tournament needs to make enough to support future growth by the RLIF so beggers can't be choosers.

From a capacity side, the tournament has taken a nice step up. Big enough to deliever growth but small enough to still sell out or at least look full on TV.

Yes agree with some of that but I feel they have really missed a trick not having a massive show piece opener. The MCG would have given a brilliant platform for an opening ceremony but i understand the resistance. Even the Etihad with 50k+ in could have closed the roof and given a magnificent light show and opening ceremony that would have catapulted the tournament across Australia.

A mid-sized stadium often gives a mid-sized reaction and expectation. Even the RFL took the opener to a 70k stadium in a place with little RL support and got 45k.

Yes agree with some of that but I feel they have really missed a trick not having a massive show piece opener. The MCG would have given a brilliant platform for an opening ceremony but i understand the resistance. Even the Etihad with 50k+ in could have closed the roof and given a magnificent light show and opening ceremony that would have catapulted the tournament across Australia.

A mid-sized stadium often gives a mid-sized reaction and expectation. Even the RFL took the opener to a 70k stadium in a place with little RL support and got 45k.

I agree and think that one of the two bigger stadiums in Melbourne would've been better for the opener, even if the other game(s) were at AAMI stadium.

Perhaps this is the kick in the teeth NSW needs (after all the SOO defeats) that it does need to try when it comes to RL.

The Variety of venues in NZ is impressive, though I would have liked Eden Park to make an appearance, especially if there was an England v NZ semi final.

A very depressing draw that demonstrates the sports inability to influence what should have been the most senior government partner to support its biggest international event.

I am not sure I can be any more disappointed. Blame the NSW Government all you want. There is obviously no confidence within the organising committee that they possess the suitable strength in marketing and sales to sell out big stadiums for the big matches. An inability or lack of faith in driving profits from large attendances.

There is so much more a city and state can offer than a quick dollar to host matches.

No other state in Australia can offer this tournament:

- a larger number of existing supporters and club members

- a larger media presence

- a more diverse range of stadiums to host major and minor fixtures

- a better opportunity to sell 60k+ tickets for one game

- a broader spread of ex-pats or Australians with heritage from the participating nations

- a better opportunity to maximise match day sales of merchandise

I feel like we have just stepped back to 1954.

Surely opening ceremonies have been done to death. All we really need is a quick presentation of the trophie, a rep from each team and maybe a singer/band knock out a few tunes. The aim should be to make as much money as possible from this tournament so we can start supporting the smaller nations.

It's a great draw.

I get to see 3 games not far from my house.

I suspect they have raised more money for games than during the previous World Cup too.

I also doubt Sydney fans would bother turning up. They will get far more interest from fans not regularly exposed to live rugby league. The double headers in north Queensland also allow rugby league fans who travel huge distances to only make one trip instead of two.

The rugby league world is bigger than nsw and it's only gonna get bigger.

A very depressing draw that demonstrates the sports inability to influence what should have been the most senior government partner to support its biggest international event.

I am not sure I can be any more disappointed. Blame the NSW Government all you want. There is obviously no confidence within the organising committee that they possess the suitable strength in marketing and sales to sell out big stadiums for the big matches and ability to generate a significant profit themselves.

There is so much more a city and state can offer than a quick dollar to host matches. No other state in Australia can offer this tournament:

- a larger number of existing supporters and club members

- a larger media presence

- a more diverse range of stadiums to host major and minor fixtures

- a better opportunity to sell 60k+ tickets for one game

I feel like we have just stepped back to 1954.

I wouldn't say its great copa,the 1/4 final venues let it down in my opinion..

Its a shame nsw didn't stump up some money..imagine if we could have held all the 1/4s in sydney..two double headers at the sfs on the sat&sun could have been special...got all the fans together in one place,create a festival atmosphere

OLDHAM RLFC

Archived