Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

19 Feb: World Club Challenge: Wigan Warriors v Cronulla Sharks KO 3pm (TV)

Who will win the World Club Challenge?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the World Club Challenge?

• Cronulla Sharks by 13 points or more
    • Cronulla Sharks by 7 to 12 points
    • Cronulla Sharks by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

One thing that this highlights is how best to blend the best of SL and the best of the NRL. If we had been pasted again Bennett could have gone with picking every NRLer available to him. Now though we can again argue that SL produces some top class players, that the best club teams are not far off their equivalents. And that we can develop styles that work against the NRL brigade. I hope Bennett gets that one right. 

The problem here is that Wigan could quite easily have 5 of the England team in there from yesterday - J Burgess, Williams, Bateman, Farrell, SOL. Australia might take 1 or 2 from Cronulla/Brisbane.

In terms of developing styles that work against the NRL brigade, I'd argue that the fact Wigan are the Super League champions would show against we haven't developed styles that work against the NRL "style". Wigan are the most structured team in Super League, playing a brand of rugby that is very comparable to the completion-based style dominant in the NRL. Over the weekend I'm pretty confident that both Warrington and Wigan threw less offloads and completed more sets than their opposition. Isn't that apparently the very definition of the NRL style of rugby? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

I can't argue because I haven't seen the game. But in the Union game I referred to I was amazed (and so were the commentary team) when the TMO advised the ref not to award the try (I believe that's the correct terminology for Union pedants)  The player clearly touched the ball, albeit with a fingertip. 

I am referring to our laws and the point you made about the ref giving a try when, as you put it, he was "clearly un-sighted", if he is un-sighted then he cannot say he is not allowing it because he didn't see it, that law has been there for ages.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I wouldn't be too harsh on the game as a spectacle; I thought is was a cracking game and it hurts to say that as a Saints fan.

Unlike another Saints fan you appear to have recognised what was in front of you! ?

As for "spectacle" I suppose I'm saying it wasn't end to end but as a battle of structures on the pitch it really was an entertaining game and kept me hooked. I suppose it's what you're looking for.

Going back to Manly match 30 years ago it looks so different as a game and yet no tries were scored and even with rose tinted glasses removed that will be one to remember.

I don't think this one would get as many points for style but for guts, hard work expectation, was even better

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

2 hours ago, hariseldon said:

I was at both matches over the weekend. Well done to Warrington and Wigan,

But, in yesterday's match: who was that guy in orange directing play behind Cornulla's players?

Was he a physio, or part of the coaching staff?

According to the commentary, it was Steve Price, former captain of the NZ Warriors, obviously now employed by Cronulla.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Cronulla often had two 'water carriers' on the field pointing at gaps etc.  Alfie Langer was regularly directing play on Saturday night too.  I'm not saying that we don't do it because Lee Briers was doing the exact same thing against Hull KR in the 2015 semi, but it needs to be cracked down on.

• Like 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

6 hours ago, John Rhino said:

Correct, as Cummings said if the ball is on the ground all the player has to do is touch it. No fuss about downward pressure there.

As per the "laws" - Grounding the ball -

means (a) placing the ball on the ground with hand or hands or

(b) Exerting downward pressure on the ball with hand or arm, the ball itself being on the ground or

(c) Dropping on the ball and covering it with the part of the body above the waist and below the neck, the ball itself being on the ground. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 hour ago, Padge said:

I am referring to our laws and the point you made about the ref giving a try when, as you put it, he was "clearly un-sighted", if he is un-sighted then he cannot say he is not allowing it because he didn't see it, that law has been there for ages.

Well hopefully it wouldn't happen today.  When I said he was clearly unsighted, I was making an assumption. Had he not been there is no way he could have awarded the try.  Why the TJ's didn't make him aware is anyone's guess.  But it was at Burden Park, which clearly dates it as before the SL era.  Drummond and the ball were in the in goal but at no time did they come into contact with one another.

Another incident that comes to mind is one at P O Road in 1990.  Fev were playing Wigan  mid week under the lights. In the first half at the P O Road end, Bobbie Goulding scored from a double movement, the ref awarded the try.  In the second half, the ball was over the line, Chris Bibb touched it with his finger tips, but got clear downward pressure.  The didn't award the try.  Funny that!  I was standing less than 10 feet from both incidents.

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Well hopefully it wouldn't happen today.  When I said he was clearly unsighted, I was making an assumption. Had he not been there is no way he could have awarded the try.  Why the TJ's didn't make him aware is anyone's guess.  But it was at Burden Park, which clearly dates it as before the SL era.  Drummond and the ball were in the in goal but at no time did they come into contact with one another.

Again, it doesn't matter, the ref has to give the benefit of the doubt to the player in such a situation. Not seeing the ball grounded is not a reason the ref can give for not allowing a try, that law still stands so it could happen any time.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

Again, it doesn't matter, the ref has to give the benefit of the doubt to the player in such a situation. Not seeing the ball grounded is not a reason the ref can give for not allowing a try, that law still stands so it could happen any time.

When I say it wouldn't happen today I mean he would surely go to the Video Ref (it was a John Player Final I think) But even in league games there are in goal judges are there not.

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

17 minutes ago, Trojan said:

When I say it wouldn't happen today I mean he would surely go to the Video Ref (it was a John Player Final I think) But even in league games there are in goal judges are there not.

The in goal ref (and other officials) can only advise, he can't decide. There is every chance this sort of thing could happen and still does happen. There is nothing to stop a situation where none of the officials can see if the ball is grounded or not.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

The in goal ref (and other officials) can only advise, he can't decide. There is every chance this sort of thing could happen and still does happen. There is nothing to stop a situation where none of the officials can see if the ball is grounded or not.

There was absolutely no doubt on this occasion that Dessie hadn't scored, he was about 3 feet from the ball at his nearest!  Apparently the only person in the ground who thought he had scored, was the ref.  Had the try been given today I'm sure there would have been an enormous hoo-ha.

Clement Attlee.

7 minutes ago, Trojan said:

There was absolutely no doubt on this occasion that Dessie hadn't scored, he was about 3 feet from the ball at his nearest!  Apparently the only person in the ground who thought he had scored, was the ref.  Had the try been given today I'm sure there would have been an enormous hoo-ha.

But if the ref can't see it he is obliged by the laws of the game to give it if nobody else can give a definitive no try.

Edited by Padge

Well my tip did it for the sharkies... but in truth despite the poor condition of the pitch and the debatable referring calls which gave me a sense of schadenfreud given the performaces of the likes of Hollywood Harrigan in the past against Great Britain. Cronulla can have no complaimnts  The best side won. Cronulla were devoid of pace, made one line break I can recall and despite lots of possesion cluless in attack either raising a high ball or overhitting grubber kics.

Sorry for the sharkies fans because on this form its going to be a loooong time before the shire will be represented in the WCC again. In fact, having seen Cronulla nd Brisbane, Brisbane to win on 2 March IMO. The sharks are not 2017 top 8 material.

However before the bunting comes out to celebrate Super League success, The acid test for the WCC is English Clubs going to Australia and winning . A challenge these resulrts have made probable in 2018..

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

15 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

However before the bunting comes out to celebrate Super League success, The acid test for the WCC is English Clubs going to Australia and winning . A challenge these resulrts have made probable in 2018..

Well if you dont mind im gonna celebrate these wins now if thats ok, rather than worrying about potential games next year.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well if you dont mind im gonna celebrate these wins now if thats ok, rather than worrying about potential games next year.

Why celebrate a win now when there's a potential loss coming in just 12 months? Are you a proper Rugby League fan? ;)

As for the probability of the Australians hosting it next year, I'd go not an inch further than seeing it as a slight possibility at this stage.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Haven't Wigan already been there done that and come back with the T-Shirts anyway.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Absolutely. The comment prompting that post is very similar to a lot of sniffy remarks floating around in football at the moment that seem to be suggesting that Leicester don't actually deserve to be premiership champions of 2015/16 on the basis that they've been rubbish the following season. Ermmmm!!!!

On a side note - Whilst watching the game all I got from my wife was whether their was a connection between the Aussie team and the makers of HP sauce.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Cronulla often had two 'water carriers' on the field pointing at gaps etc.  Alfie Langer was regularly directing play on Saturday night too.  I'm not saying that we don't do it because Lee Briers was doing the exact same thing against Hull KR in the 2015 semi, but it needs to be cracked down on.

Indeed. One was already too much (I think Brisbane or was it Queensland started this trend years ago), but two was pushing the envelope. The sooner this is erased from the game, the better.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

According to the commentary, it was Steve Price, former captain of the NZ Warriors, obviously now employed by Cronulla.

Was it not Steve Price the ex St George coach? Thought he was involved at Cronulla now.

Just now, SteveT said:

Was it not Steve Price the ex St George coach? Thought he was involved at Cronulla now.

You're right! It was a different Steve Price to the one I immediately thought of. 

Well, wasn't expecting a 2-0 win in the series by SL. 
To be frank, I think British teams were a bit unfortunate two years ago (I mean Wire and Wigan), while last years' result worried me more. 
Warrington had a very huge night and, as a neutral (I don't have any 'favourite' team in England, although I like it when Italian International do well, like Mini in these Hull FC season), I'd like it to be the 1st step in the road to Old Trafford and a win there. 
Happy fow Wigan, too, and George Williams could really fight to become a starter for England at the WC. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador