Halifax

clifford

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unimpressed. I'll discuss the match at a later time, but having attended Stalybridge Celtic matches when there were only between 500 and 700 fans in the stadium and then been fortunate enough to win the half time draw (twice), picking up £96 and £87 respectively, today's winning dividend of £50 was risible (Not fifty-one or fifty-three, fifty EXACTLY). Not going to be too controversial here for obvious reasons, but I've bought my last ticket. You can fool some people sometimes...

12 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Unimpressed. I'll discuss the match at a later time, but having attended Stalybridge Celtic matches when there were only between 500 and 700 fans in the stadium and then been fortunate enough to win the half time draw (twice), picking up £96 and £87 respectively, today's winning dividend of £50 was risible (Not fifty-one or fifty-three, fifty EXACTLY). Not going to be too controversial here for obvious reasons, but I've bought my last ticket. You can fool some people sometimes...

I've been thinking the same mate.

Heard that Dewsbury rested quite a few of their first team so as to concentrate on beating us on Wednesday.

Looking at the number of Yeds that went down injured we will be lucky to raise a side never mind beating them. Couldn't understand why Sami Gee wasn't playing considering that he goes before the disciplinary on Tuesday.

Couldn't fault the effort of the lads today but yet again anything 50/50 went against us. The game changer was the supposed forward pass from George. If that had counted then I'm sure we would have gone on to win.

3 minutes ago, BryanC said:

I've been going to Hornets since 1966. I must have bought hundreds of half time draw tickets in that time - I've never won a bean.

You must be really lucky.

Sammy Gee has a wrist injury. Is he deffo up this Tuesday? Not even been charged yet according to the RFL disciplinary site? We are definitely struggling for backs. Lepori looked like he will be out for a week or two. If Jamel is still with us that's our only option I believe for Wednesday. Turner, Chisholm,Tyson,Adamson,Clay,Leathers,Hewitt. We don't have any wingers apart from those two lads. We really are at bare bones if DR isn't available.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've been going to Hornets since 1966. I must have bought hundreds of half time draw tickets in that time - I've never won a bean.

You must be really lucky.

My wife comes to rugby once, maybe twice a year. I let her pick one of my two tickets. You can guess the rest. She's the lucky one.

I thought it was a frustrating game for both teams to be honest. Fax went from almost perfect rugby the week before to dropping the ball within a minute of the start and ended up with a knockonathon and going back to our usual discipline problems which saw us get caned on the penalty count and totally starved of ball. I thought our defence was superb in the first half but once you got level, due to a dubious decision for the one eyed amongst us, I thought you would go on and win. I think in the last 20 minutes Oldham looked busted with injuries and that little bit of extra quality told.

I thought as you said lots of errors from both teams, probably the heat a factor. 

You were just much more clinical and your halves kicking game was good particularly in the first half, we have got to make sure we get over the line when we work hard and get good field position. 

In the first half we had some good possession but the Fax defence was terrific.  In the second half we seemed to be a little more patient and that brought us back into it. Turning point was the dubious decision to disallow Leatherbarrow's try for a forward pass. That seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and lift Halifax and we were never the same after it. 

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

Such a frustrating game and season. We are so close to winning games like this and every game we find a way to lose. First half was pretty even but we didn't take our chances with Clay dropping the ball over the line and Turner being judged to have been held up. Fax took their chances and deserved to be in front.

Second half we were on top and clawed it back to 12-12. If Scotty scores under the sticks we probably win the game but it wasn't to be. Even so though we didn't have to back that up with errors and missed tackles. The game was still there for us even at 18-12 behind but their heads and dropped and Fax took advantage and blew the score out.

Tyson was outstanding. The last few weeks we've started to get the ball more out on the right hand side and Langers and Tyson are both looking very threatening. Langers had another excellent game but had the crucial miss on Grady that gave them the lead. Turner was excellent again at full back. Hewitt had another poor game, poor kicking in the first half when we were in good positions and then in the second terrible passing and tackling. Kenny also had a shocker at dummy half with 5 errors I think.

To be fair I think you dominated for much of the first half and our tries were totally against the run of play. I don't think Tyson would look out of place at a top end championship club, he has impressed me whenever I have seen him although he seems to have a bit of niggle in his game.

I came away from the ground about an hour after full time.  My car was one of a number of cars blocking in a lot of the players who were all sat waiting sunning themselves in the car park.

What struck me about the players was that they weren't all sat sulking.  They were laughing and joking with each other like a bunch of mates would do and it looked like team spirit was in good shape.  It took the edge off my personal sulk.  If the players are upbeat, I should be too.  

Having said that, I'm off on my annual trip to a farm in Somerset tomorrow evening so I won't be around for the Dewsbury game or the Bradford one for that matter.  My hopes of nipping back for at least one of the games have been dashed by the raised eyebrows of my Mrs.  I'll just have to drink more cider.

I have to say though I am disappointed at the loss and the margin of the loss too, I really felt that we could have got something out of this game, but how many times have we said that this season?

It is just crucial moments that go against us that are the difference, I'm just glad we didn't have another Swinton performance where we didn't look like scoring for most of the match.

The defence in the main was very good I thought, we did switch off at times but generally we were tackling well and pretty disciplined at the same time. It seems to be a real lack of creativity in their 20 where we really suffer.

My Dad came yesterday he probably hasn't been for 20 years, but he said straight away about the one up drives and one dimensional play.

Come on lads, big performance on Wednesday

Hmmmm.

Direction of Pass 1.

The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high, lobbed pass. - 

http://i.imgur.com/jb4mrsJ.gifv 

getting fed up to back teeth of people who continue to blame the refs/linesman, boils down to this team are not up to standards of this division end of , oh the other excuse this club is part time, utter garbage they knew what they was going to be up against when they got promoted, just change the record PLEASE.

31 minutes ago, roughyed1064 said:

getting fed up to back teeth of people who continue to blame the refs/linesman, boils down to this team are not up to standards of this division end of , oh the other excuse this club is part time, utter garbage they knew what they was going to be up against when they got promoted, just change the record PLEASE.

You change your record, anyone would think they weren't giving it a go! We don't have a bottomless pit of money. I'm sure the Chairman and the coaches would love to spend more on players but we are were we are. You're entitled to moan but the lads and staff are giving 100% and that's all I ask of them. We'll stay up and we'll improve on last season. It takes time on a limited budget but we are doing ok. We've just played two top four teams and given them a game, now hopefully we can take some points on Wednesday and give ourselves a little more space in the league table. It won't be easy but we can do it. 

43 minutes ago, roughyed1064 said:

That forward pass decision was a real game changer yesterday.  Something that people would be interested in.  Whether it was the correct decision or not, it was the turning point of the afternoon.  

What was your take on it?

Looks forward on that video,the giveaway is the way Leathers reaches forward in a grab motion to catch it. One of our stewards who was in line with it came over to us behind the sticks just after it happened and said it was a mile forward. It was a huge turning point in the game,the ref was on the spot so thats that. When things go wrong everything seems to conspire against us, no rub of the green,no 50/50 decisions. That's sport unfortunately. 

Fax ultimately took their chances,there wasn't much between the sides really apart from the clinical finishing. 12-30 looks pretty harsh and I didn't see it as that much of a gap.

As for refs,well they have a job to do,what gets most people so frustrated is the lack of consistancy in decisions. 

The team is good enough,we have proved that we can compete with most clubs in the division. The major issue imho is we have such a small squad when injuries bite then we have no replacements to call upon. I said before the season it might hurt us only signing a few backs,we have plenty of forwards but no backs. Bad squad management that in my opinion.

People's expectations for this season were high and rightly so,but in reality on our budget and crowds it is always going to be a victory to remain in the Championship never mind ambitions of loftier heights in the division. 

The season has undoubtedly been a disappointment in many ways but I will be happy if we maintain our Championship status,take stock at the end and have a proper look at recruitment and why we have these mid season crises.

Massive game on Wednesday,hope the faithful stick with the lads and turn out in good numbers.See you all there. Up the Yeds!

My only concern is that we stay up,I've just found some performances very frustrating,I truly believe that this squad is better than our position in the table suggests. We need people to show up on Wednesday and shout,scream,whatever.

I think the lads are improving after a bad patch. Hopefully they'll put 80 minutes together on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to it and hopefully we will have a strong team on the pitch. For me it will be great to stay up and even better to finish above the Hairnets. Both achievable yet. ;) 

Archived