RayCee

Clarifying Club Boundaries

On 02/12/2019 at 17:17, Old Frightful said:

We have a winner!

No no, Old Frightful, you've mispelt there; it's "Wiener". 😀

• Haha 1

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 11/08/2017 at 20:06, Wellsy4HullFC said:

When you compare populations with attendances, you're wasting your time. It's a pointless exercise because it assumes only people from those places will go to the games.

Aston Villa don't just draw from Aston. Their stadium holds more than the area!

This is it, isn't it? Compare the pull that Everton have with the population of said suburb, and again with their pull from Cheshire & North Wales.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

On 02/12/2019 at 17:21, Johnoco said:

I knew you'd say that. 🤐

Only because I wanted you to think that way. 😉

RayCee, I like what you're doing, but your population stats are all over the place anyway, certainly when using it as a base for % of pop to fan ratio!

For example, you've stated Salford has a 72k pop (it's actually 103k for Salford proper), yet the borough is 254k where many fans are from anyway (which includes Swinton 28k)… I have no idea how many are from the tagged on urban areas, parts of Trafford, Bolton Met, inner Manchester, etc...

For Warrington, you've quoted the Borough pop, which is 209k (the town is 85k), and St Helens you've quoted the town pop of 102k, (the borough pop which is 202k). So that in itself is flawed.

For Wigan (103k) & Leigh (52k) you've done the town pops, but the rest of the borough pop of 171k (it's 326k total) is missing from any stats...

For the likes of Widnes, just quoting the 62k town pop is flawed, as many comes from the wider Borough of Halton (102k pop) and beyond...

On and on it goes... But I think with research and work if you're geeky enough, a loose summary could be achieved...

It would be interesting to see what the percentage of fans comes from the local (urban) population, or whatever's deemed a fair catchment area. I've seen it done with English football teams, and it showed the likes of Sunderland, Middlesbrough & Burnley have a phenomenal percentage of fans from just their respective towns proper.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Damn, fell for it again! 

Mwah hah haaaah....

• Like 1

On 06/12/2019 at 03:34, MustardBoy said:

RayCee, I like what you're doing, but your population stats are all over the place anyway, certainly when using it as a base for % of pop to fan ratio!

For example, you've stated Salford has a 72k pop (it's actually 103k for Salford proper), yet the borough is 254k where many fans are from anyway (which includes Swinton 28k)… I have no idea how many are from the tagged on urban areas, parts of Trafford, Bolton Met, inner Manchester, etc...

For Warrington, you've quoted the Borough pop, which is 209k (the town is 85k), and St Helens you've quoted the town pop of 102k, (the borough pop which is 202k). So that in itself is flawed.

For Wigan (103k) & Leigh (52k) you've done the town pops, but the rest of the borough pop of 171k (it's 326k total) is missing from any stats...

For the likes of Widnes, just quoting the 62k town pop is flawed, as many comes from the wider Borough of Halton (102k pop) and beyond...

On and on it goes... But I think with research and work if you're geeky enough, a loose summary could be achieved...

It would be interesting to see what the percentage of fans comes from the local (urban) population, or whatever's deemed a fair catchment area. I've seen it done with English football teams, and it showed the likes of Sunderland, Middlesbrough & Burnley have a phenomenal percentage of fans from just their respective towns proper.

It was put together from the other side of the world, so lacking local knowledge. I also realise that even if every number was spot on, then it's still only a generalisation as people are individual and mobile. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

On 11/08/2017 at 10:14, Tongs ya bas said:

There are no boundaries. People have free will. There are many factors which determine which team a person follows.

NO.

They must BE FORCED to support the teams I think that they should support. Apart from t'Headingley lot, where clearly someone else is forcing them to support them. Bah.

16 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

NO.

They must BE FORCED to support the teams I think that they should support. Apart from t'Headingley lot, where clearly someone else is forcing them to support them. Bah.

In 1996 Chris Caisley went round the reservoirs in  Cleckheckmondbridge depositing drops of a mind control drug that made people drawn towards Odsal. 

A bit like that stuff they give rats so it makes them thirsty and they pee off looking for water.  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

In 1996 Chris Caisley went round the reservoirs in  Cleckheckmondbridge depositing drops of a mind control drug that made people drawn towards Odsal. 

A bit like that stuff they give rats so it makes them thirsty and they pee off looking for water.  

I KNEW it!!!! Given his absence & t'Bulls downturn in fortunes, we can easily conclude that you are obviously correct. That's enough evidence for me. Oh yes. </dusts off hands>

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

I KNEW it!!!! Given his absence & t'Bulls downturn in fortunes, we can easily conclude that you are obviously correct. That's enough evidence for me. Oh yes. </dusts off hands>

So obvious when you think about it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

So obvious when you think about it. 

Innit. He should be up before the U.N. for War-Crimes. Or Something.

• Thanks 1

Would that also explain why no one seemed to have noticed the stadium crumbling around them?

3 hours ago, Cas Vegas said:

Why are your hands dusty?

• Haha 2

Skolars cover all of London east of Charing Cross and broncos everything to the west. That’s about 4 million people each😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Skolars cover all of London east of Charing Cross and broncos everything to the west. That’s about 4 million people each😁

That still leaves 7,995,000 unaccounted for though. Gotta work on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Why are your hands dusty?

I touched a Fev fan.

Ugh.

Dirty fev people.

PS You well, big lad? 🙂

13 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

The great unwashed? You have to be careful.

PS Not so bad. Back for good or on your holidays?

I know! The th'interweb don't work in That There Abroad. Back in the U.K. &  frankly love it. Especially now that the ******* Tories seem to be in forever with their greatest ever leader.

<clicks ruby slippers together> No place like home. 🙂 </>

PS I took my juniors to a cup final at Fev. The kids are going "Wow - this stadium is ACE!" My response "No. It. ISN'T." 😄

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 14:56, Eddie said:

On this topic, do Widnes get many fans from Runcorn? 

A couple of hundred at a guess. There's certainly some Warrington fans in Runcorn too.

• Thanks 1