'Site Going Down

It has been off and on for a while. Patience, and it'll probably sort itself out.

Probably...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Forum software was updated this morning.

Usually leads to a few problems till the bugs are ironed out of it.

I knew I shouldn't have hit the button that said 'upgrade'. :(

You should know the rules by now, JD? Never upgrade until at least two subsequent releases of the software have been issued? For shame, sir! ;)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

15 hours ago, Adeybull said:

You should know the rules by now, JD? Never upgrade until at least two subsequent releases of the software have been issued? For shame, sir! ;)

I did! I did!

The original update was issued weeks ago, and I ignored it. Two patches were then added to it, and I ignored those too.

Then, cos it was Bank Holiday and I was working and it was fairly quiet on here I thought I'd go ahead, and....

CRASH!!!!!!!

Several support tickets later, and after much fretting, hair tearing out and banging my head on my desk, I'm told all will be well from now on.

Let's see...

You must be on first name terms with support by now...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I did! I did!

The original update was issued weeks ago, and I ignored it. Two patches were then added to it, and I ignored those too.

Then, cos it was Bank Holiday and I was working and it was fairly quiet on here I thought I'd go ahead, and....

CRASH!!!!!!!

Several support tickets later, and after much fretting, hair tearing out and banging my head on my desk, I'm told all will be well from now on.

Let's see...

Oh b*gg*r...guess the "number of patches before upgrading" rule has become a bit out of date with the ever-increasing complexity of software? Maybe the old fall-back rule "never upgrade until a you are two whole versions behind..." is more relevant nowdays? :rtfm:;)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

I had problems too.  As everybody on here will recognise, I am one of the most - possibly the most - balanced and reasonable contributors to these fora.  I know that may seem a smidgeon immodest, but such is the truth!  

So when I saw the site was down, I knew immediately that here we had the crude and dirty hand of the RFU subterfuge department at play.  Paranoid?  Moi?

ps the spellchecker doesn't like 'fora' as the plural of 'forums'.  It either tries to split it as 'for a' or then underlines it in red, when I correct its correction!  I'm not a snob, of course, but really - how plebian! 

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Any chance of fixing a long standing bug? You know, the one where not everyone agrees with my opinions? :)

I strongly disagree with this comment. 

See, the bug is still there.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Alarmingly not only did I have tio reset my password but I got a message "saying this site is not secure your passwords could be compromised"

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I notice people 'react' to comments now.  I assume that's the old 'like'.

Good point, RayCee; I react your comment!

26 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I had problems too.  As everybody on here will recognise, I am one of the most - possibly the most - balanced and reasonable contributors to these fora.  I know that may seem a smidgeon immodest, but such is the truth!  

So when I saw the site was down, I knew immediately that here we had the crude and dirty hand of the RFU subterfuge department at play.  Paranoid?  Moi?

ps the spellchecker doesn't like 'fora' as the plural of 'forums'.  It either tries to split it as 'for a' or then underlines it in red, when I correct its correction!  I'm not a snob, of course, but really - how plebian! 

A perfectly reasonable conclusion from an exemplar of even-handedness.

Archived