RFL to launch membership scheme

The RFL have posted a job advert for a 'Membership Manager' that will deliver the RFL's first ever membership scheme in the Autumn - the Rugby League Family.  Salary £40-£50k.

It states the scheme will be for fans, players, viewers, digitally engaged, volunteers and give them an enhanced personalised experience of RL.

Ignore the World Cup element of below, it's an RFL advert. I'm interested as to what it is, whether it costs to be in, what benefits you get etc. Good at least to see some initiatives happening although this will very much preach to the converted I would imagine.

IMG_4548.thumb.PNG.265c97eb06a5ca94e73aa8f0ac469d19.PNG

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Very interesting concept to have 'membership' of an entire sport. Sounds like an oxymoron. 

Intrigued to see how my personal experience will be enhanced. 

Presumably this is a CRM thing, databases  and the like.

Perhaps they'll help you count the crowd numbers? ?

I should imagine it will have a fee attached to becoming a member of whatever it is, the Membership Manager will have an investment of between £40K and £50K attached to the position, can the RFL afford this without a payback?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

1 minute ago, GaryO said:

I should imagine it will have a fee attached to becoming a member of whatever it is, the Membership Manager will have an investment of between £40K and £50K attached to the position, can the RFL afford this without a payback?

I guess it depends how they are targeted, a membership fee would be very tangible, but equally if it was free but they got members to 'spend more with the RFL' that could be a success.  In most businesses your most loyal customers make up the bulk of your sales - the old 20% customers drive 80% of revenue etc.

It's not an insignificant investment as I would assume a salary of £40-£50k is probably nearer £60-70k fully costed for the RFL.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

35 hour week? WTF? the contract should state.

1. Applicants will be expected to opt out of the working time directive.

2. Applicants will be required  to work sufficient hours to meet agreed performance targets..

3. A company vehicle ( Dacia Duster RFL Edition)  will be supplied. 

4. Salary = basic of £30K plus performnce related bonus.

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

i'd be a shoo-in especiallly as I dont need a company car- i have my bus pass :tongue:

In fact, the real point is  RFL Family sounds like a great idea, even if its meant to be self financing.

Interesting.  Considering the benefits we get now, either through Sky or directly through a Club and barring an odd stream, we don't get much from the RFL.  

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

i'd be a shoo-in especiallly as I dont need a company car- i have my bus pass :tongue:

In fact, the real point is  RFL Family sounds like a great idea, even if its meant to be self financing.

It does sound like a great idea.  I'm polishing my CV in anticipation.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It offers an opportunity to boost the Challenge Cup attendance-  they will add in all of the membership to the Challenge Cup attendance whether they attended or not. Result. The Odsal record could be broken and this forum will meltdown

1 hour ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I guess it depends how they are targeted, a membership fee would be very tangible, but equally if it was free but they got members to 'spend more with the RFL' that could be a success.  In most businesses your most loyal customers make up the bulk of your sales - the old 20% customers drive 80% of revenue etc.

It's not an insignificant investment as I would assume a salary of £40-£50k is probably nearer £60-70k fully costed for the RFL.

It sounds like they are already launching this scheme later in the year so tge investment will be much more than this managers salary. And so it should be.

This has Draper and his focus on fan engagement written all ovet it. 

Will be very interesting to watch this one.

Based on some of the previous roles advertised the salary doesnt seem terrible for the RFL.

A good move from the RFL andthis is exactly the type of thing that people have been crying out for for years. Hopefully the department will be fully funded and this will be part of an all-round cohesive strategy to grow the game, attendances and number of players.

I mentioned some time ago, an initiative that the RFL should take on RFL memberships.

The idea surrounds for example a six game RFL membership for £X that allows you entry to any six fixtures within the season. 

So if I am a member of club A, I then also could have an RFL membership to attend six away/Challenge Cup fixtures. The idea being you would need to select any fixture no less than 5 days before KO to ensure an allocated space. The clubs involved in the fixture will get a cut of any RFL member using their membership for any such fixture.

It is also a benefit for those that are happy to go to SL fixtures of various clubs, say a supporter of a second or third division club.

It could also benefit those that just want to go and watch all five Wigan v St Helens fixtures as well ?

So many ways they could do this. Could have different membership packages (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc...).

For me, as a member, I'd pay for:

Priority seats, kit, exclusive events and would love to be involved in a vote on certain areas of the game! The last part alone would sell thousands!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, Scubby said:

I would happily become a member of England RL and would pay for the privilege. That is the area that needs fan engagement and updating. It is also what the RFL are responsilble for. The club stuff should be done by clubs.

Could it not do both?

Bronze = RFL events (including all CC games)

Silver = RFL events and internationals

Gold = RFL, international and x-amount of league games.

Just now, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Could it not do both?

Bronze = RFL events (including all CC games)

Silver = RFL events and internationals

Gold = RFL, international and x-amount of league games.

It could I suppose, but I feel there is a 'club England' style market for supporters all over the country for who England is their 'club'. If the money we paid went directly to funding England women or England academy or merchadising etc then I for one would be happy.

Whether those same people want to be a member of a wider game (e.g. RFU, RFL, FA) I don't know.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

It could I suppose, but I feel there is a 'club England' style market for supporters all over the country for who England is their 'club'. If the money we paid went directly to funding England women or England academy or merchadising etc then I for one would be happy.

Whether those same people want to be a member of a wider game (e.g. RFU, RFL, FA) I don't know.

Again, maybe that could be a separate option.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I would happily become a member of England RL and would pay for the privilege. That is the area that needs fan engagement and updating. It is also what the RFL are responsilble for. The club stuff should be done by clubs.

Well said Scubby

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Agree.  But does this indicate 'England RL'?  

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Who knows? We might all be getting carried away. It could be just RL Cares for all we know.

Guessing, it could involve streaming and discounted rates for Internationals.....and we need those!  

I just hope it's not an attempt to prop their salaries up.

Archived