Wakey to stay at Belle Vue, redevelopment plans

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

As draconian as this sounds (and I don't mean this maliciously) won't Super League have to simply give Wakefield notice to resign their SL place (perhaps 12 months) for anything to actually happen here? The game then has to follow through with this because this feels like the only long term solution to the problem. If the council are seeing Wakefield continue to get reprieve after reprieve then what is forcing their hand to do anything other than stall?

What is the difference between Whealdon Rd and Belle Vue? I don't get why Cas have escaped the threats when they seem no closer to a stadium being built.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

What is the difference between Whealdon Rd and Belle Vue? I don't get why Cas have escaped the threats when they seem no closer to a stadium being built.

I wouldn't be averse to Castleford getting similar treatment if their stadium stalled continuously. The difference is probably Cas can stay at Wheldon Road as long as they need to and it holds 12k. Wakefield keep giving notice on Belle Vue every few months and don't even have an agreement in place to play there next year yet - even though the new season is around 11 weeks away.

59 minutes ago, Scubby said:

As draconian as this sounds (and I don't mean this maliciously) won't Super League have to simply give Wakefield notice to resign their SL place (perhaps 12 months) for anything to actually happen here?

I don't think Wakefield Trinity RLFC could do any more than they are currently doing under Michael Carter.  He just arrived about 10 years too late.

59 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If the council are seeing Wakefield continue to get reprieve after reprieve then what is forcing their hand to do anything other than stall?

The agenda of the Council Leader and his cronies is unlikely to be influenced by any threat to Wakefield Trinity RLFC.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

As draconian as this sounds (and I don't mean this maliciously) won't Super League have to simply give Wakefield notice to resign their SL place (perhaps 12 months) for anything to actually happen here? The game then has to follow through with this because this feels like the only long term solution to the problem. If the council are seeing Wakefield continue to get reprieve after reprieve then what is forcing their hand to do anything other than stall?

Effectively that is what is happening. Trinity are on reduced central funding this year due to the state of BV and are on borrowed time in terms of their stay whilst still playing out of the old girl (as it is). I believe if no progression is made in the next year or so then that will be that.  If we move to Dewsbury then we're straight out.  

6 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Effectively that is what is happening. Trinity are on reduced central funding this year due to the state of BV and are on borrowed time in terms of their stay whilst still playing out of the old girl (as it is). I believe if no progression is made in the next year or so then that will be that.  If we move to Dewsbury then we're straight out.  

This is just so sad it stinks. I don't follow Wakefield but was born in the city and played my junior RL there. Talk about untapped potential. So frustrating to see it from outside of the UK. It must be exasperating to be a fan getting fed this BS from all those sources year on year. Or month on month as it currently stands.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

There's an article in today's League Express about Castleford and their 'new stadium'. They are looking at moving  in 2020, but aren't in a particular hurry to move. Work seems to be proceeding in a leisurely pace.

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

There's an article in today's League Express about Castleford and their 'new stadium'. They are looking at moving  in 2020, but aren't in a particular hurry to move. Work seems to be proceeding in a leisurely pace.

I saw that a while back, but i will believe it when I see it. They have laid the first brick about 5 times already lol

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

They're going with an innovative security measure; nobody can steal from your building site if its invisible!

5 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Unless I’ve missed something the last we heard from the landlord he was saying we have no lease to play at Belle Vue beyond January!

18 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

What is the difference between Wheldon Rd and Belle Vue? I don't get why Cas have escaped the threats when they seem no closer to a stadium being built.

Both clubs were threatened with the boot from SL about 2011 under licensing but nothing happened - can the RFL/SL really afford to remove SL completely from the WMDC area?.

I think that Belle Vue is being classed as being worse than Wheldon Road, which IIRC is owned by Cas, where a heck of a lot of money has been spent patching it up as per a Steve Gill article a year or two back. Does Mr. Carter wish to spend heavily on an old stadium that isn't his, when a new one is in reach? As per Scubby do Wakey feel the threat of them losing their SL place may swing something with someone, and therefore the patching up is minimal? I very much doubt it....

I don't go with the "they only have themselves to blame" rubbish. Whether you get a benevolent owner, and/or a sympathetic council is pure lottery. For Cas having the Fulton family and getting a top coach who's a home town lad and who has worked miracles and put a lot of bums on seats to pay for the crumbling stadium's repairs, is also the luck of the draw. That's life and life just ain't fair at times.

Is it fair the RFL & Mr. Wood are personally looking after another crumbling stadium in Bradford? Maybe they see Bradford Council as a tad more amenable towards the Bulls and a new stadium than WMDC are towards Trinity. Lucky old Bulls.

Trinity are on their own on this, and Carter is making a herculean effort, but if he fails the RFL and SL may well take solace from a future in which they have a first reserve ready to step in and bring SL back to Bradford, whilst a reduction in SL clubs in the WMDC to one, may not be seen as that great a disaster, in fact quite maybe the reverse, as in 1996 only one club was scheduled to serve the area!. 

There is however no way on this planet the RFL want to see Superleague removed from the WMDC area completely. It's a strong RL area and this would be a disaster of epic proportions.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

So;

https://wakefieldtrinity.com/club-statement-221217/

Hard to keep up with this. We shall see. 

This sounds like good news for the fans and just leaves a couple of questions hanging.

Will the RFL rubber-stamp the continued use of Belle Vue in 2018?

Where is the money coming from?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

This sounds like good news for the fans and just leaves a couple of questions hanging.

Will the RFL rubber-stamp the continued use of Belle Vue in 2018?

Where is the money coming from?

Who knows? Perhaps the same structure as before, upfront loan from the council with funding from the NM development paying it off when the trigger point is achieved (recent reserved planning application gone in for that). Carter previously offered to pay the interest.  Council offered £2m to the project in the past. 

I still remain doubtful until I see steel being erected. 

19 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Who knows? Perhaps the same structure as before, upfront loan from the council with funding from the NM development paying it off when the trigger point is achieved (recent reserved planning application gone in for that). Carter previously offered to pay the interest.  Council offered £2m to the project in the past. 

So true. At least 2018 is in place. But as mentioned, it will probably require another dispensation from the RFL/SL

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So true. At least 2018 is in place. But as mentioned, it will probably require another dispensation from the RFL/SL

AFAIK Trinity are ok to play out of BV as long as there are plans to move into a new/upgraded stadium in the near futute. The caviate being the club are now on reduced central funding because of this. 

33 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

AFAIK Trinity are ok to play out of BV as long as there are plans to move into a new/upgraded stadium in the near futute. The caviate being the club are now on reduced central funding because of this. 

Is that true about the funding? Last season's performance looks even more impressive if that is the case.

1 hour ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

It sounds like Carter's backed down. Is he thinking this is the only way he'll get a stadium and recoup his investment?

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

It sounds like Carter's backed down. Is he thinking this is the only way he'll get a stadium and recoup his investment?

I'm sure MC realised a long time ago that he will never recoup any "investment".

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived