Sign in to follow this  
Spidey

Koukash gone from Salford?

Without a new investor, I can't see how a community club can survive with the current losses. Could this be the Catalan get out clause? Community Salford going part time?

18 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

As far as I can recall Dr Koukash got involved with Salford because it was a club near his home

His wife made an offer to get involved with Bradford while Brian Noble was at the the Salford club.

Here is an interview with Derek Beaumont - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Prwr0p3PMs

If there is any truth in the saying "there's no smoke without fire" this interview may just have given a big hint regarding the future of the good doc.

The was a lot of sincerity in the words from Mr Beaumont, and from the time he says they and their respective families spend together there must be a lot of mutual respect.

The passage in which Mr Beaumont relates to walking out side by side at Wembley seemed to me to be more of an invitation and I should think that if he is "airing" that in public, it may have already been mooted in private.

So, Dr Koukash has decided to leave a position that even through all his hard work and generosity found he/it was not recognised and even maybe reviled by some in the club and some of their supporters, so if he still maintains that love for the game and still has that drive and desire to keep his involvment he could do far worse than invest his time, energy and money with someone he trusts and knows he would be appreciated, and I am sure he would get a rapturous welcome from the Leigh fans should he decide that is were his future rests.

Edited by GaryO
  • Like 1

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

23 hours ago, BBR said:

MK is lost to the sport. Why do we seem to lose investors so easily. Must be a reason why hardly any of them stick around. 

How do you work out MK is lost to the sport?. A quote from his leaving Salford speech does not appear in many of the abbreviated quotes it says  “I have genuinely grown to absolutely love the game of rugby league and the Red Devils and still care deeply about it”.

Despite the mischief of our Leigh contingent, the facts are that Koukash has twice bid for Bradford Bulls. It did astound me that not much was said about this on either occasion, by Salford fans possibly because the bid was veiled by being in the name of his Wife, to avoid one person owning two clubs.

There appears to be a move to licensing. How will Salford fare if attendances are an issue? How will they go if Academies are an issue? How will they go if there is no rich owner to make up the shortfall in the business plan? The strong circumstantial evidence now further points to a move to a Bradford restructured by Nigel Wood and Bradford Council, far the more than it points to him having left the game for good.

Cut to the HKR situation with SL bosses declaring the importance of "away fans" and Hull chairman Pearson happy to just lift Rovers straight back to SL if they had not qualified, and the return of the big derbies. Another big clue where this is all going Leeds.v.Bradford is the obvious next target.

Another abbreviated quote goes ““My decision is nothing to do with the operation of the game or the RFL, with whom during my time I have challenged but also enjoyed a fantastic working relationship, especially during 2017 and they have my ongoing respect. I look forward to joining our loyal supporters and all my friends when I visit in the grandstands at the stadium next season.”

Again we see that he’s not leaving the game he’s hanging around and "absolutely loving it" has the cheek to dump the club yet promise to go back for a natter afterwards! Note Nigel Wood has now gone from his biggest enemy to his big pal. I don’t know exactly what he wants out of an RL club but it certainly involves a lot of fans, and the best team he can buy, no wonder Nigel and Marwan have now found some common ground?? It just (with a friendly council too) needs a stadium deal sorting out.......

7 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Despite the mischief of our Leigh contingent,

I look forward to joining our loyal supporters and all my friends when I visit in the grandstands at the stadium next season.”

Morning Parky,

That first statement is only mischievous in your eyes because that maybe is something you do not want to happen.

Secondly, on his suggested return to the AJ Bell he mentions the loyal supporters and friends that he will be joining, these will still be in existance, of course there will still be those who will resent him, but that will be nothing new. Do you not keep in touch or even visit old friends?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

1 hour ago, GaryO said:

Morning Parky,

That first statement is only mischievous in your eyes because that maybe is something you do not want to happen.

Secondly, on his suggested return to the AJ Bell he mentions the loyal supporters and friends that he will be joining, these will still be in existance, of course there will still be those who will resent him, but that will be nothing new. Do you not keep in touch or even visit old friends?

He seems to be taking a statement extremely literally. Because nobody ever tried to be civil in a statement before. 

2 hours ago, BBR said:

Without a new investor, I can't see how a community club can survive with the current losses. Could this be the Catalan get out clause? Community Salford going part time?

And Beaumont saying that Catalans' relegation would be bad for the game. Why can't we find a decent conspiracy theorist when we need one?

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

How do you work out MK is lost to the sport?. A quote from his leaving Salford speech does not appear in many of the abbreviated quotes it says  “I have genuinely grown to absolutely love the game of rugby league and the Red Devils and still care deeply about it”.

Despite the mischief of our Leigh contingent, the facts are that Koukash has twice bid for Bradford Bulls. It did astound me that not much was said about this on either occasion, by Salford fans possibly because the bid was veiled by being in the name of his Wife, to avoid one person owning two clubs.

There appears to be a move to licensing. How will Salford fare if attendances are an issue? How will they go if Academies are an issue? How will they go if there is no rich owner to make up the shortfall in the business plan? The strong circumstantial evidence now further points to a move to a Bradford restructured by Nigel Wood and Bradford Council, far the more than it points to him having left the game for good.

Cut to the HKR situation with SL bosses declaring the importance of "away fans" and Hull chairman Pearson happy to just lift Rovers straight back to SL if they had not qualified, and the return of the big derbies. Another big clue where this is all going Leeds.v.Bradford is the obvious next target.

Another abbreviated quote goes ““My decision is nothing to do with the operation of the game or the RFL, with whom during my time I have challenged but also enjoyed a fantastic working relationship, especially during 2017 and they have my ongoing respect. I look forward to joining our loyal supporters and all my friends when I visit in the grandstands at the stadium next season.”

Again we see that he’s not leaving the game he’s hanging around and "absolutely loving it" has the cheek to dump the club yet promise to go back for a natter afterwards! Note Nigel Wood has now gone from his biggest enemy to his big pal. I don’t know exactly what he wants out of an RL club but it certainly involves a lot of fans, and the best team he can buy, no wonder Nigel and Marwan have now found some common ground?? It just (with a friendly council too) needs a stadium deal sorting out.......

From the master of mischief making

Let's hear it from the man himself from this interview on BBC North West last night.

Clearly, Marvin cares about the club.  He makes reference to feeling deflated when he looked round at the crowd for the Huddersfield game and this seems to be the point he decided it was time to leave. He also refers to having suggested a Manchester re-brand, but rejecting a move to another city.

I don't know if there's a longer version of this (perhaps it's in another interview), but he has mentioned purchasing season tickets at Salford for all his family and establishing a strong board for the future.

Edited by Manxmanc

Looks like they will eventually settle into their natural place in the lower leagues.

That would be a healthy outcome.

38 minutes ago, Copa said:

Looks like they will eventually settle into their natural place in the lower leagues.

It's looking it could end up that way. At the end of the day, when you've got a very rich owner who is pumping a lot into the club and giving it countless amounts of publicity yet crowds are actually dropping, you know there's not much else you can do.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Copa said:

The problem is that that is not easier.  Were it so, then many clubs would be like Hunslet and want to decline Super League.  

If you do not have Super League rugby and big names and large number of supporters from Wigan and St Helens, you have to come up with a completely different was of generating revenue not gained from Sky.  That is possible, but a very different way of doing business and likely to involve huge amounts of community work.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

49 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The problem is that that is not easier.  Were it so, then many clubs would be like Hunslet and want to decline Super League.  

If you do not have Super League rugby and big names and large number of supporters from Wigan and St Helens, you have to come up with a completely different was of generating revenue not gained from Sky.  That is possible, but a very different way of doing business and likely to involve huge amounts of community work.

With big change comes big opportunity. Although that may not always be realistic in the land of rugby league.

• Like 1

Not sure many Salford players will want to hang around if there ambitions are not being met by the ambition of the club minus a wealthy benefactor, already rumours of Tasi and Masila being touted by other clubs,would not surprise me to see a mini exodus at Salford in the next few months!

The problem is we are still short on detail. What happens to the holding company, the old company who holds the debts, is this just a board to run the club?

Lots of rumours and players being offered elsewhere.

19 hours ago, Red Willow said:

The problem is we are still short on detail. What happens to the holding company, the old company who holds the debts, is this just a board to run the club?

Lots of rumours and players being offered elsewhere.

Is it definitely confirmed he is pulling out financial support? I may have missed it but I thought the stadium was a bit vague on actually stating he was pulling out completely.

I hear he hasn't pulled out his financial support (yet) but is having no more to do with the running of the club. This is from a very good source, but believe what ever makes you happy, especially if you hate Salford as some on here seem to.

1 minute ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I hear he hasn't pulled out his financial support (yet) but is having no more to do with the running of the club. This is from a very good source, but believe what ever makes you happy, especially if you hate Salford as some on here seem to.

From reading the press release that wouldnt surprise me, as iirc it didnt explicitly state he was pulling out and it did say he was putting in a board to run things.

The press coverage did explicitly state he was leaving though.

Interesting to see what happens here.

On 30/09/2017 at 8:23 AM, GaryO said:

Morning Parky,

Afternoon Gary,

I'd like him to go to Bradford if they will need a money man. Chalmers denies he is going there - "next year" so he doesn't deny the year(s) after. That's rumour (1) still intact, and most recently suggested again by Danny Lockwood Monday.

Rumour (2) is articulated as "Teaming up with Derek to steer Leigh back to Superleague" I can go with that if he's waiting for Bradford to be re-structured for a Superleague licence, and wants something to do for a year. You have to be joking if you think them teaming up will be a permanent thing. I guess they are too proud to share power, want their own clubs, and would prefer friendly rivalry.

Rumour (3) is a possible Irish franchise with Marwan talking to Des Foy, and the SL bosses agreeing with SKY that if this happens they want the Franchise in Dublin.

That one surfaced a few weeks ago and with SKY looking keen on Dublin, and SL looking keen to go back to Franchises this may be a blow to the North American hopes of an early entry to Superleague.

Posing the interesting question will there be a "qualifiers" next year???

22 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Posing the interesting question will there be a "qualifiers" next year???

Planning and recruiting for next year is well underway on the basis that at least some sort of pathway to SL via results is available. If they were to announce on the eve of the season that the results were to count for nothing because they were heading to full licensing in 2019, then there would be uproar. Worse if the existing Superleague teams guaranteed each other a place.

At best, they'd have to have a hybrid system, where maybe the top 12 on the field got at least a 1 year licence for 2019, plus a 13th via the process. then transition into a full licensing round.  

5 hours ago, The Parksider said:

That one surfaced a few weeks ago and with SKY looking keen on Dublin, and SL looking keen to go back to Franchises this may be a blow to the North American hopes of an early entry to Superleague.

Parksider, enough of this expansionist agenda you are always pushing. Stop placing pins on maps. Dublin is a complete non starter, already infected by the scourge on Union.

Where will the the players come from? They better all be Irish for at least ten generations and speak fluent gaelic. Also, they have to be able to bring away support of at least 10K to all games on the M62 corridor.  How about their TV deal? It better be worth more than the NFL's.

Ian Lenagan told me, in private, that this would be a disaster for RL and he has a prepared posse of chairmen ready to block their entry.

• Haha 5

17 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Planning and recruiting for next year is well underway on the basis that at least some sort of pathway to SL via results is available. If they were to announce on the eve of the season that the results were to count for nothing because they were heading to full licensing in 2019, then there would be uproar. Worse if the existing Superleague teams guaranteed each other a place.

At best, they'd have to have a hybrid system, where maybe the top 12 on the field got at least a 1 year licence for 2019, plus a 13th via the process. then transition into a full licensing round.  

Any changes would be from 2019, next season carries on as before - don't forget that any changes have to be agreed with Sky who are guaranteed a certain number of games per season (someone posted the number but my ageing brain's forgotten it).

3 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Any changes would be from 2019, next season carries on as before - don't forget that any changes have to be agreed with Sky who are guaranteed a certain number of games per season (someone posted the number but my ageing brain's forgotten it).

Except it's not that straight forward - if we are to assume 2018 goes ahead with 3x8s, which it will, if there are any structure changes being implemented for the 2019 season then surely it will affect some element of the 2018 season since a big part of the lure of the 8s is to determine who ends up in what division the following season.  

If - for example - licencing came in for 2019 (unlikely IMO, but go with it) then it would make the middle 8s a different prospect and to an extent, irrelevant. Even if SL was to expand to 14 teams in 2019, where would that leave the middle 8s next year? You are right that by and large next season will be extremely similar to this year, but there will be tweaks and clubs ideally need to know the state of play asap. 

IIRC, I think it's a myth that Sky have to approve any changes to the format (there was an interview with someone high up in the past year or so that confirmed that) however Sky do want to show a certain number of games per season.

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Like 1

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 hour ago, Amber Avenger said:

Except it's not that straight forward - if we are to assume 2018 goes ahead with 3x8s, which it will, if there are any structure changes being implemented for the 2019 season then surely it will affect some element of the 2018 season since a big part of the lure of the 8s is to determine who ends up in what division the following season.  

If - for example - licencing came in for 2019 (unlikely IMO, but go with it) then it would make the middle 8s a different prospect and to an extent, irrelevant. Even if SL was to expand to 14 teams in 2019, where would that leave the middle 8s next year? You are right that by and large next season will be extremely similar to this year, but there will be tweaks and clubs ideally need to know the state of play asap. 

IIRC, I think it's a myth that Sky have to approve any changes to the format (there was an interview with someone high up in the past year or so that confirmed that) however Sky do want to show a certain number of games per season.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear (yet again). What I meant to say was that the current P&R arrangements would go ahead at the end of next season, that would then finish with the new structure then kicking in for deciding who's where at the end of 2019. I'd like to think that you're right about Sky, but given that they effectively now bankroll the professional game I suspect that there's a fairly big gulf between theory and practice here.

40 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Sorry, didn't make myself clear (yet again). What I meant to say was that the current P&R arrangements would go ahead at the end of next season, that would then finish with the new structure then kicking in for deciding who's where at the end of 2019. 

Apologies, we're probably getting our wires crossed, but surely that's dependent of the structure of 2019? What if we have a 14 team SL in 2019, are you suggesting that gets postponed until 2020, with 19 a "buffer" season, similar to when Bradford and London got relegated prior to the 8s system?

I'm not suggesting the 8s will be ditched next year by the way.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

18 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

Apologies, we're probably getting our wires crossed, but surely that's dependent of the structure of 2019? What if we have a 14 team SL in 2019, are you suggesting that gets postponed until 2020, with 19 a "buffer" season, similar to when Bradford and London got relegated prior to the 8s system?

I'm not suggesting the 8s will be ditched next year by the way.

My problem is that I can't see how they could have meaningful 8s coupled with expansion to a 14 club SL (which given the talent available is a daft idea in my opinion, going down to 10 makes more sense) as expansion would probably only be acceptable to the current SL clubs if there was no relegation in the preceding year so it would have to be 2020. I think we can both agree that that wouldn't be a very good idea!