Ralph Rimmer candidate for top RFL Job

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

What’s the logic for keeping them out under those circumstances?

Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

He mentioned that the review was already set in place when we joined the RFL in the first place and it does seem like a logical clause to be put into place. I don't see us not being allowed in because everything we've done has been positive to the sport in general. While Parky complains that we will cause a drought of players Noble just mentioned that he fully supports everyone having a mandatory reserve team and its something that Toronto also plans of having in place. Currently we linked up with Bradford and Canada RL linked up with the Cougars.

Maybe Rimmer is just trying to get peoples votes when it comes time to select Nigel's successor by coming out with this now? Either way Hearn seems like a much better candidate if he would be willing to take the role on, need someone without the inferiority complex that's in the UK RL's DNA and someone with basic marketing skills...the new SL "promotional" video is a cry for help.

"I don't think there is anybody who sits around a rugby league table and does not care about the entire sport and growing it," Rimmer said.

Maybe he forgot to say they only care about their side of things and couldnt give a rats about the rest of the game and the damage it causes...

Meanwhile, Rimmer revealed that Toronto would not be guaranteed automatic promotion to Super League, even if they were successful in their Championship campaign and would instead be subject to a review.

I hope this would apply to everybody and not just Toronto...You would think the review would be done before the Start of the Season and Toronto (or anybody) would know what areas they need to work on and that the review would be transparent, just like in the past with licenses......

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whats with all the talk about recruiting when thr time is right? 

It should be now.

Indeed, Dave.

Or, more to the point, it should have been months ago. Since Wood will surely have had to have given a decent amount of notice? Unless, of course, his departure was not entirely of his own volition...?

But to say the RFL - or, more to the point, whatever cabal will crown Rimmer (sorry, select Wood's successor) - is not even using a headhunter but expecting people "in the know" to just apply, surely stinks more than a boatload of rotting fish?

I know Dave you get hacked off with folk blaming "the RFL" (by which I think they really mean whoever is running it?) for everything from what is wrong with the game to global warming, Trump and Brexit, but with conduct and statements like this, is it really any surprise?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

On the 7th of this month - 

Pearson said: “If it works, then very possibly. We’re meeting Toronto [Wolfpack] next week and, if they’re serious about coming into Super League and adding new broadcast rights and franchises, then we truly have a global game once the Americans get involved, too.

Source - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jan/07/super-league-clubs-transformed-adam-pearson-hull

May prove problematic.What came of the meeting? Anyone?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Adey, Wood knew he was going at the end of the season last April. I would have thought that was ample time to advertise and choose a successor.Once again I will state it is completely immaterial who the successful candidate is he will be ruled by whatever the S.L. chairmen decide is the best for their own clubs.Surely ,going on his past record at several clubs Mr. Rimmer would be nobodys choice but as long he is a "yes" man he will fit the bill.It seems nobody at Red Hall has a clue how to run the game,last year nobody knew until the season had started what the situation was regarding the Championship.This year nobody knows what the targets are for next season in our so called flagship league.Is it any wonder the N.R.L do not take the game in this country seriously.You could not make it up if you tried.

16 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

Indeed, Dave.

Or, more to the point, it should have been months ago. Since Wood will surely have had to have given a decent amount of notice? Unless, of course, his departure was not entirely of his own volition...?

But to say the RFL - or, more to the point, whatever cabal will crown Rimmer (sorry, select Wood's successor) - is not even using a headhunter but expecting people "in the know" to just apply, surely stinks more than a boatload of rotting fish?

I know Dave you get hacked off with folk blaming "the RFL" (by which I think they really mean whoever is running it?) for everything from what is wrong with the game to global warming, Trump and Brexit, but with conduct and statements like this, is it really any surprise?

I get frustrated with irrational rants about the RFL, when people literally give no credit. Im happy to criticise but there needs to be at least a pretence of balance!

Your point about Wood and his notice is an interesting one as he is still working for the RFL at the moment, so it may have been more recent than it appeared. That said we all knew he was likely to move on so the job spec and agencies could have been engaged in advance!

In all my career (49 years and 2 months so far, just in case you were wondering!), I have never let it be known openly that I have applied for a job and would have been incensed if my potential employer had said to anybody other than those directly involved in the recruitment process that I had applied.

Who has said that Rimmer has applied?  To what end?  In the 'pure' recruiting processes of the public and charitable sectors, to which I have devoted my career, openly stating that you have applied for a job might invoke the dreaded words "canvassing will disqualify..."!

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Who has said that Rimmer has applied?  To what end? 

Rimmer, who initially joined the RFL as chief operating officer, added: "I am putting myself forward. 

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/11219835/ralph-rimmer-puts-name-forward-for-rfl-chief-executive-role

Wiltshire I will give you a clue "Phil Caplan states Ralph Rimmer has forwarded his application to become R.L.F Chief Executive". Now I do not know if you know Phil Caplan but I do and believe me he is in the know about nearly everything that goes on in Red Hall.Phil has many contacts in the right places so I personally will take his comments as read.

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

That he knew this information is bad enough unethical, that he didn't know not to talk about it is laughably incompetant. 

I think some might say there may be a more apposite word to describe an action that seems almost guaranteed to deter any realistic prospective competitor? 

"Calculated", maybe?

Surely not, for Rimmer is doubtless an honourable man?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Where is the advert for the RFL CEO position? I do not wish to apply but you would hope quite a few big hitters from outside the sport might.

The time isnt right yet, apparently.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The time isnt right yet, apparently.

Indeed.

Maybe they are saving money so instead they can use it to publicise the coronation?

I personally think it would be a disaster for the game not to go for the best possible candidate and I don’t think that’s currently available within the sport. 

Rimmer has let it be known that he’s starting a backroom shake up and apparently with the agreement of stakeholders. If I was a potential applicant I’d suspect it was mischief making. Rimmer has had the arrogance to say that the changes would be required regardless of who takes over but it begs the question if the changes where so obvious and necessary why they haven’t been done to date and if not, why they can’t wait for the new bod to be in place. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Maybe he forgot to say they only care about their side of things and couldnt give a rats about the rest of the game and the damage it causes...

I hope this would apply to everybody and not just Toronto...You would think the review would be done before the Start of the Season and Toronto (or anybody) would know what areas they need to work on and that the review would be transparent, just like in the past with licenses......

You mean Billy's Weekly Liar 

I cant help but feel there is something at play with the TWP promotion comments. I wonder whether he is trying to publicly force SLE's hand on this one as they have missed their deadline for announcing 2019 structure in advance of the 2018 kick off.

If it isnt part of that then it is pire incompetence to undermine their season when you are trying to sell tickets for their games, sell subscriptions for Premier and get investment from TWP and other NA clubs.

Why the surprise about Rimmer’s comments ? It was known months ago that Toronto could be denied entry to SL should they qualify due to them not being members of the RFL. They play in the UK competition by invitation not by right. Ultimately the other SL clubs will decide if they should be admitted or not, the RFL can make a recommendation but it is the clubs who will vote on it.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

If the best candidate for the job is at the RFL, the rest of the sporting world is screwed too.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Rimmer, Hearn's, P&R, Closed Shop, 12 or 14 team SL, Toronto in or out, just sit back and wait for the announcements and directions, all the cat calling, baiting, throwing the rattle out count for rag all, it is for all of us "Che Sara Sara" 

When we get the news we can all decide our personal course of action, stop watching, walk away from the game? if that happens individuals will have differing reasons for doing so, the direction will not suit everyone, but for the vast majority who write on these pages it will be carry on regardless, it is in our blood, a part of us, MOST will be back, the only exception could be our new Canadian friends should the extended deliberations on a new structure not favour them.

Sky will have an input, effectively a  big say, in the selection process.

Possibly the Ministry of Sport will want a monitoring brief.

If we can't get Sally Bolton, hopefully there'll be a quality candidate from the NRL.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

Why the surprise about Rimmer’s comments ? It was known months ago that Toronto could be denied entry to SL should they qualify due to them not being members of the RFL. They play in the UK competition by invitation not by right. Ultimately the other SL clubs will decide if they should be admitted or not, the RFL can make a recommendation but it is the clubs who will vote on it.

I think people were far too eager to close down any discussion on how NA clubs would be accommodated and integrated into the UK system.

The failure here is on the SL clubs who took charge and missed their deadline to have this resolved in advance of the season.

Archived