Super League Crowds

There has not been that many posts on this topic, one that seems to get repeated each year, but this time in this short thread it seems that the apathy which is gaining momentum and being used to explain the fall off is the growing use of what is happening on the field of play in regards to the gamesmanship, cheating call it whatever you will.

We always took pride in our game in the honesty our players exhibited on the field, I frequently argued with fans of football that the difference in the codes was that in their game the player's spent a lot of the time pretending to be injured, whist in RL the player's tended not to show they were hurting and got on with it without the accompanying theatricals, I fear that has left our game, we do not have to have long memories either to remember those times, is it actively being coached or encourged to 'win penalties' or 'feign injury' to interrupt play to stop momentum?

I stopped watching Association Football back in the 70's for those very same reasons, and I directed my displeasure at the refferee's, because I believed rightly or wrongly they became to weak and allowed the gamesmanship to prosper and grow out of control and eventually it became the norm, football crowds declined for a good number of years, was it that those who could not identify with how the game had become from what they were used to left, I honestly don't know. If true, and supporters of our game are being discouraged by the  present trend these 'new tactics' are bringing to the game and turn away from the sport because of them, can we ever recover? Without question, we are not as big as football, their numbers have allowed them to recover, I fear we do not have the resources to do that. It is up to those who guide our game, both the one's who teach the tactics and those who guide the on-field judiciary to eliminate these practises from our game our suffer the consequences of turning people away.

As with anything that Joe Public decides to spend their money on - away from life's essentials - pleasure has to be the over riding factor, stand on any ground and listen to the comments that are being directed at the way the game is now being played, I predict if there is no u-turn to get rid of the play acting, those dwindling numbers of attendees will drop even further because of it.

wigans figures are purely down to a complete lack of promotion something has changed at wigan, we used to have all sorts of deals and promos going on whoever is in charge now needs sacking.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

6 hours ago, my missus said:

wigans figures are purely down to a complete lack of promotion something has changed at wigan, we used to have all sorts of deals and promos going on whoever is in charge now needs sacking.

Maybe that is an instruction from the top man?

I cannot for one momment imagine that being the reputed excellent buisness man that he is Mr Leneghan is not up to speed with all of the commercials that are taking place at Wigan RLFC, advertising, deals and promotion certainly come under that remit.

Looking at Wigan's home games this year they've had four on a Friday, one on a Sunday and one on a Monday (and a game in Australia). I don't know how this compares with other seasons but it seems they've probably had less weekend games than most. My numbers came from Wikipedia which might not be the most reliable source but it was the only one I could find a quick number for each season.

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe that is an instruction from the top man?

I cannot for one momment imagine that being the reputed excellent buisness man that he is Mr Leneghan is not up to speed with all of the commercials that are taking place at Wigan RLFC, advertising, deals and promotion certainly come under that remit.

Anyone could run Wigan and get 10-12k crowds.  It's the way it is in UK RL. Theres a build it and they'll come mentality at just about every club and at the RFL for events.  

The 'greatest game' strap line some people still associate with RL almost sounds sarcastic whenever I see/hear it. 

I think to give balance to this subject, the NRL is in a very similar position and they have all the resources money can buy to throw at the problem and still don't seem to have cracked it, so not sure what the solution is for SL. 

Still maintain our best chance is to get the Hearns onboard and see where they can take us. Pretty sure they can't do any worse than what is happening at the moment. 

I do think there is a lot of apathy in RL at the moment and I know that for me personally the play off system doesn't help one bit. The season just feels like a bit of a procession towards the business end of the season and the last few games. It is the opposite of the every minute matters mantra.

12 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Anyone could run Wigan and get 10-12k crowds.  It's the way it is in UK RL. Theres a build it and they'll come mentality at just about every club and at the RFL for events.  

Managed not to quite easily through the 70's and early 80's.

Three of Wigans 4 remaining regular home games are against Warrington, St Helens and Leeds.

These are traditionally the club's best attended home games so the average will rise.

However, 2 are in the crowd-reducing Thursday night slot - Leeds and St Helens.

The club's promotion doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be, I don't know why.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:39 PM, alan30058 said:

Correct

In the 1930's during the depression

And in the early 1950's during days of austerity and rationing, 

The crowds were a lot larger my club (Warrington)regularly posted crowds of 15,000/20,000 for normal league matches

Simple answer, we have more to do with our spare time these days and especially in the summer months.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Simple answer, we have more to do with our spare time these days and especially in the summer months.

Exactly, you should hear the abuse I recieve from my missus when every January I present her with my teams fixture list, and suggest she works around them in deciding the scheduling of our holidays away that year, some folk seemingly have no decency?

15 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

It's 2018

I understand that. I guess the point behind my somewhat flippant although factual, comment, was that no club has the automatic right to be well supported. 

Seems like it is all change at Wigan next season. Hopefully with a return to more adventurous rugby. Wiganers expect to be entertained as well as successful.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:42 AM, Gerrumonside ref said:

Friday nights and Thursday nights for the majority of matches must be a real killer for all but the most committed.

I think Sunday at 3pm should be the aim for the majority of games in any round with only Catalans and two other games being moved for TV purposes.

Maybe 20 years ago when there was nothing to do on Sundays... now with the 24/ 7 world night games are king.

All the teams with the highest SL attendances play on Friday night's...

The white elephant in the room is over exposure led by the middle 8s 

Lack of advertising and a retreat of SL to the heartlands haven't helped either

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Maybe 20 years ago when there was nothing to do on Sundays... now with the 24/ 7 world night games are king.

All the teams with the highest SL attendances play on Friday night's...

The white elephant in the room is over exposure led by the middle 8s 

Lack of advertising and a retreat of SL to the heartlands haven't helped either

Are crowds on Friday nights going up or down?

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Are crowds on Friday nights going up or down?

Saints get more on Fridays than they did on Sundays.

I prefer Friday night games.

You can't judge an overall average until the end of the year.

Playing clubs 4-5 times a season isn't healthy and crowds rose last time they did away with this. They brought it back and surprise surprise they are going down.

The clubs that play regularly on Sundays are the worst supported and can't be held up as an example to follow especially when these clubs attendances are also on the decline

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

Playing clubs 4-5 times a season isn't healthy and crowds rose last time they did away with this. They brought it back and surprise surprise they are going down.

The clubs that play regularly on Sundays are the worst supported and can't be held up as an example to follow especially when these clubs attendances are also on the decline

I prefer Sunday games and daylight rugby generally.

I agree with you that familiarity breeds contempt in terms of the overplaying of fixtures like Saints vs Wigan, Saints vs Warrington.

I’ve argued before that less is more and the NFL is a good example of this.

47 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

I understand that. I guess the point behind my somewhat flippant although factual, comment, was that no club has the automatic right to be well supported. 

Seems like it is all change at Wigan next season. Hopefully with a return to more adventurous rugby. Wiganers expect to be entertained as well as successful.

I just don't get why everyone goes on about what a great job Lenagan's doing.  Crowds are pretty pants considering. There's been a bit of success on the pitch I guess but also some terrible signings.

2 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

I just don't get why everyone goes on about what a great job Lenagan's doing.  Crowds are pretty pants considering. There's been a bit of success on the pitch I guess but also some terrible signings. 

It's one of the biggest myths in Rugby League. They have terrible player retention, ever-declining crowds and are in a terrible financial state.

16 hours ago, yipyee said:

I prefer games Friday night, it doesn't wipe out the whole day. I'm assuming when people say Saturday or Sunday they mean during the afternoon. This ain't the best if the whole family isn't interested and weekends are the best time to see family that are working during the week.

Mind you I'm speaking from personal preference and each have their own.  The question is what suits the majority of fans going.  Leeds do very well and it suits them to maximise commercial revenue which makes them financial stronger.

16 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I prefer Sunday games and daylight rugby generally.

I agree with you that familiarity breeds contempt in terms of the overplaying of fixtures like Saints vs Wigan, Saints vs Warrington.

I’ve argued before that less is more and the NFL is a good example of this.

Don't agree with regard to time of games but do agree with the familiarity comments.

Archived