Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

FIFA World Cup 2018

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I think there are only two teams that other countries want to avoid and they're playing each other tomorrow night

Wigan and Leeds?

• Like 2

RADFORD OUT!

Just now, Old Frightful said:

Good finish for the goal but, as you say, the Serbs might have snuck one earlier.

Brazil however have been gradually creeping more and more into the game. If they can get more ball out wide then the impressive Jesus could end up on a decent cross.

Who that benefits is anyone's guess.

Christians ?

• Haha 1

Neymar is an irritant with an ego bigger than Russia . It’s all about me , and don’t come near me I’ll collapse 

• Like 1

So, it is now Spain or Brazil, 

Possibles from Portugal, France,

Longshots, Argentina, Belgium, Croatia, England, Mexico and Sweden.

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Longshots, Argentina, Belgium, England, Mexico and Sweden.

I think Croatia deserve a go on that longshot list after three wins out of three in probably the toughest group.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

32 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Don't get me wrong I think they're effective and stand a great chance of winning. They're just not a classic Brazil side, they're more like an Italian side. 

Agreed. Mind you, when was the last real classic Brazil side? They get built up by the media every time, but haven't exactly thrilled the world very often in recent years, or even decades.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Agreed. Mind you, when was the last real classic Brazil side? They get built up by the media every time, but haven't exactly thrilled the world very often in recent years, or even decades.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I think Croatia deserve a go on that longshot list after three wins out of three in probably the toughest group.

Indeed they play Denmark, then the winners of Spain and Russia.

I'd make them favourites for a semi final place from what Ive seen so far.

34 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Longshots, Argentina, Belgium, Croatia, England, Mexico and Sweden.

Don't know how you've got Portugal in that group. They could've easily lost to both Morocco and Iran. 

If group form means anything it's a bit all over the place. Spain have looked poor since the first game, Brazil are hardly unbeatable looking and France have looked a little lacklustre.

Croatia have impressed, Uruguay look steady and Belgium look the best if you go on form and squad. I think Mexico and Sweden are no great shakes, certainly not contenders. 

If I had to pick I'd say Brazil or France atm. France have been steady enough and look to have a couple more gears. Brazil might have a more straight forward draw. 

45 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

So, it is now Brazil by default.

Possibles is Belgium, France or Spain

Longshots, Argentina, Croatia, England, Mexico, Portugal, Sweden, Uruguay.

Updated, though I might upgrade Portugal on the basis of their experience.  France might also be upgraded.

It is eleven nations listed.  Very open.

The first round is no guide to how it ends up.  Plenty of teams are rubbish in the first round and win.  Plenty of first round stars go out a round or two later.

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

And 1970 . Both had great names by the bucketload . Although my old man would go about Garrincha being the best when he was growing up watching world cups 

29 minutes ago, DavidM said:

And 1970 . Both had great names by the bucketload . Although my old man would go about Garrincha being the best when he was growing up watching world cups 

Garrincha was amazing. He used to get fantastic swerve on the ball by using the outside of his foot. If you saw the Quaresma goal for Portugal the other night, you"ll have an idea of what Garrincha did. There were rumours at the time that he could do it because he wore his boots on the wrong feet. I reckon it was just apochryphal, but you never know.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

46 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Updated, though I might upgrade Portugal on the basis of their experience.  France might also be upgraded.

It is eleven nations listed.  Very open.

The first round is no guide to how it ends up.  Plenty of teams are rubbish in the first round and win.  Plenty of first round stars go out a round or two later.

I think you had it correct first time Bob. Portugal won Euro 2016 so have to be considered. Brasil, Spain and the winner of France v Argentina also have experience.

Most of the others have not won anything for years. Croatia always flatter to deceive, England and Belgium have played the worst teams and dont usually win tournaments. Mexicos limitations were shown tonight. 

One of Sweden or Switzerland will reach the quarter finals. If Colombia maintain the form of their last game they have an opening.

I would think Spain at the moment because they have the best draw.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Garrincha was amazing. He used to get fantastic swerve on the ball by using the outside of his foot. If you saw the Quaresma goal for Portugal the other night, you"ll have an idea of what Garrincha did. There were rumours at the time that he could do it because he wore his boots on the wrong feet. I reckon it was just apochryphal, but you never know.

Garrincha did have a crooked spine and legs, from polio. Most people I've known who had it, found it an impediment, but maybe it let him move in the right sort of awkward way on the pitch.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

How good was Gareth Southgate in his press conference?

he said exactly what I want to hear from my team manager, whatever the sport. Concentrate on winning the next match and don’t get hung up on choosing your preferred semi final opposition 

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

he said exactly what I want to hear from my team manager, whatever the sport. Concentrate on winning the next match and don’t get hung up on choosing your preferred semi final opposition 

Is anyone else delighted that Big Sam got the boot, whether he deserved to or not?

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

8 hours ago, Shadow said:

Southgate hasn't put a foot wrong this tournament. Even if England go out early he should really be kept on as he seems to be building a decent culture around the team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Southgate hasn't put a foot wrong this tournament. 

Apart from injuring his arm while running. Obviously did something wrong then. ?

• Haha 4

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

15 hours ago, damp squib said:

Nope. Episode one was an attempt to disabuse England fans of the idea that they are uniquely righteous among the cheating, diving nations of world football.

Episode two was a light hearted joke with maybe a subtext of "he's a well-known drug addict who is known for his erratic behaviour, had been goaded all game by opposition fans and maybe the fault is with the TV crews who insist on filming him when they know what will happen". The over the top outrage at his behaviour is a little ridiculous.

What about his racist gesture aimed at the South Korean fans during this World Cup?

Was that a joke too?