Super League restructure needs RFL support

well based on what Rimmer said nothing is changing without the RFL's consent so 8's are on for next year unless the RF can be convinced its for the good of the game...so that's been decided kinda?

Also having everyone fight is good because it means people aren't happy with what they have so the RFL will make a big batch of warm milk, everyone will calm down and a peaceful solution will be found in no time all under Rimmers stewardship now that he's returned from his holiday.

I fear that it may have gone too far for a peaceful resolution. Basically this highlights the flaw in governance if the Championship clubs can gang up and get just 1 SL club to support them and dictate what SL has to look like.

The Championship clubs are not some working class heroes here fighting for the game. Everybody is fighting for themselves.

The SL clubs should be able to set up the SL comp as they see fit.

Nobody is doing well here. A governance system that creates this stalemate is not a good one. 

9 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Maybe but would witholding support push SL clubs towards a breakaway ?

Well theres no more problems like those the sport is having now if super league Europe does go its own way

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I fear that it may have gone too far for a peaceful resolution. Basically this highlights the flaw in governance if the Championship clubs can gang up and get just 1 SL club to support them and dictate what SL has to look like.

The Championship clubs are not some working class heroes here fighting for the game. Everybody is fighting for themselves.

The SL clubs should be able to set up the SL comp as they see fit.

Nobody is doing well here. A governance system that creates this stalemate is not a good one. 

Elstone, on behalf of SL, was going to present proposals to the Championship working committee detailling their vision for the future. This was promised in June; nothing has been produced to date.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What Rimmer said wasnt actually this.

Rimmer has said that it is an RFL board decision, not an RFL council decision.

So Rimmer is actually in the theoretical position of power here which may back up some of those conspiracy theories about Woods departure (though I would argue Wood had to go anyway once the 8s (his baby pushed through on a slim majority) was declared a failure).

However the realities of the situation is the power always resided with the SL clubs, He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Yeah I didn't read whether it was board or council. I wasn't sure how that had to go.

This is becoming rugby-leagues version of Brexit with lots of posturing, both sides believing they are acting in the best interests of the game. A fudge will happen eventually which will be of no overall benefit to all parties. 

Will hunky Rob get the SL to break up with the RFL?

Will heartthrob Ralph use his sexy charm to make no changes until 2021?

Will Gary get jealous if Rob runs off with Ralph?

Does Brian know what day it is?

Tune in daily for TVs new reality show Rugby League Love Island.

17 minutes ago, Pyjamarama said:

Will hunky Rob get the SL to break up with the RFL?

Will heartthrob Ralph use his sexy charm to make no changes until 2021?

Will Gary get jealous if Rob runs off with Ralph?

Does Brian know what day it is?

Tune in daily for TVs new reality show Rugby League Love Island.

I don't watch love Island but this sounds good. 

except that it won't happen, because doing that would force a compromise. To be honest, the RFL could actually call SL's bluff too if they wanted to too - it would be interesting to see (in the first season anyway) how far a breakaway league would get without national board recognition. For a start it would, I think, probably invalidate all player insurance.... Depends which way the RLIF went, although given the overlap between them and the RFL you'd think they'd side with the national structure.

I don't think we're there yet, but the RFL does actually have cards to play if it came to it.

I don't want it to happen but I think a break away now would be easy to achieve or provoke

All existing members plus a few selected others jump ship - the national side without them is then meaningless and plenty of insurers available 

History tells us that these things don't usually start well , cause loads of upset and disruption but end up with a shake up of the old order and compromise (NRL and in another sport Kerry Packer cricket)

Re the first season without national board recognition ? We dont play enough international rugby to make much difference

54 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Re the first season without national board recognition ? We dont play enough international rugby to make much difference

I think being recognised by a national board (recognised as such) is a condition of being insured.... Might be wrong, but I think that's a change (possibly caused by it) since the Packer era. As I say, when it comes down to it SLE and RFL need each other, which is why there would be a compromise.

26 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

would anyone be interested in the NRL taking over the top division?

Why/why not?

Following my above, I suspect that the NRL wouldn't touch it with a bargepole because if it's outwith RFL jurisdiction within whatever the RFL's boundary is then it's unsanctioned, and as such no one can get injured..... If the RFL were to give the NRL their blessing then of course it would be different but I'll give you two guesses as to how likely that is. It could go nuclear, which is why it won't.

3 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

well based on what Rimmer said nothing is changing without the RFL's consent so 8's are on for next year unless the RF can be convinced its for the good of the game...so that's been decided kinda?

Also having everyone fight is good because it means people aren't happy with what they have so the RFL will make a big batch of warm milk, everyone will calm down and a peaceful solution will be found in no time all under Rimmers stewardship now that he's returned from his holiday.

I found that incredibly bizarre. North American sports have not thoroughly prepared me for the RFL. 

I personally likethe concept of the 8s. If future Championships play out lile this season, I definitely want to see it get some broadcasting. It's been frustrating to follow the matches on twitter or facebook comments. 

3 hours ago, iffleyox said:

Following my above, I suspect that the NRL wouldn't touch it with a bargepole because if it's outwith RFL jurisdiction within whatever the RFL's boundary is then it's unsanctioned, and as such no one can get injured..... If the RFL were to give the NRL their blessing then of course it would be different but I'll give you two guesses as to how likely that is. It could go nuclear, which is why it won't.

Why on earth couldn’t insurance be organised? It would be sanctioned by the NRL, or their satellite organisation, Super League. Simples

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

would anyone be interested in the NRL taking over the top division?

Why/why not?

I have been wondering the same.

There are some clues. Wigan and Hull FC playing in NSW. Lenagan’s talk of an international league. Perth being mentioned as a SL club.

On Back Chat, both Elstone and Lindsay waxed lyrical about the NRL and leapt to its defence. Maybe this is the big plan?

9 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Merger. Definitely. There are many benefits including if done correctly it immediately making SL much much more valuable to Sky and probably the NRL more valuable to the NRL broadcaster. What it would do even more so is make SL much more valuable to the NRL broadcasters and and the NRL hugely more valuable to Sky. A merged competition wouldnt be that difficult to organise and wouldnt need that much travelling or that many cross-league games, but would open up new slots that arent really relevant to either at the moment. For instance 1pm in Saturday and Sunday is 11pm Sydney and 8pm Perth. Thats not far out of prime time and could easily fit in with the NRLs current slots and SL's creating a realistic possibility that we could create pretty much 48hrs of constant live NRL/SL competition every weekend.

1 competition, 5 nations, 3 continents, every weekend.

I assume you mean this would be on the lines of Super Rugby with an ‘Atlantic’ conference (ie Super League) and a ‘Pacific’ conference (ie NRL)?

Archived