Proposals

Maureen T-k

Mark Campbell's comments:

“I’m baffled that nine Championship and League 1 clubs appear to have turned back on how they said they would vote.

“It seems bizarre that some of those clubs may not even be around when the structure changes come into place.

“There are some clear winners from this outcome, if you look at where certain teams are placed in relation to the promotion and relegation spots.

“It makes me really disappointed that we didn’t have an open vote and I expressed that vocally in advance.”

Campbell went on to outline his thoughts on how the club and the game should move forward now the result has been determined.

He said: “It’s a time for us to pull together as a club and deal with this new structure.

“In all honesty, this has been less about the structure itself, and more about the change in power from the RFL to Super League.

“That makes me very concerned going forward and you’ve got to think, if we’re cutting costs, then why should we have two Chief Executives?

“If Super League are going to run the show then do we really need to pay another salary?”

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I for one am happy with this change as I have never been a fan of the 8s except for the financial aspect it brought us in our home matches.Also this current play off system we are in is a joke for some Clubs who have nothing to play for with their supporters paying in for pointless games.I believe if it’s true of a top five playoff instead of the top Team going through will keep it interesting to the end especially giving a Team like us a fighting chance of going up.The main massive thing is that promotion is still available and the drawbridge hasn’t been pulled up .Looking forward to next season and with the added Teams of Bradford and York it will make it an even stronger Competition than last year and greater challenge.

For me one up one down not enough. 2 up 2 down if we are going for this structure.

Top 5 shoot out could be good for the Championship.

TBH more concerned about distribution of funding and the real possibility of losing some great clubs. Build from grass root up not from Super League down!

FEV FAN  1964 - present.

5 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

I for one am happy with this change as I have never been a fan of the 8s except for the financial aspect it brought us in our home matches.Also this current play off system we are in is a joke for some Clubs who have nothing to play for with their supporters paying in for pointless games.I believe if it’s true of a top five playoff instead of the top Team going through will keep it interesting to the end especially giving a Team like us a fighting chance of going up.The main massive thing is that promotion is still available and the drawbridge hasn’t been pulled up .Looking forward to next season and with the added Teams of Bradford and York it will make it an even stronger Competition than last year and greater challenge.

These are all fair points, but the battle we have been witnessing has been about power and money, rather than structure. The proposed division of funds after the next Sky deal as suggested at the Championship clubs' press conference is frightening. 

As for the new structure, one key point for me is whether the parachute payment for the relegated club continues. Don't be fooled by Leigh's flop this year, not every relegated club will have their ineptitude in decision making, and we won't have a level playing field if the relegated club gets half a million more central funding than anyone else. 

44 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Once SL has got the clubs it wants such as Toronto, New York and wherever else the drawbridge will go back up and P & R will end. If i were the likes of wakey and Salford I would be worried because they may find themselves on the Lenigan hit list.

I hope not as there will be no point watching anymore without the hope of progressing to the top league in which case I’m done 

Don't worry Blue Pike you won't be the only supporter walking away, although I'm referring to some S/L supporters not far from us, because I can see a proper franchise system being brought in, where if a consortium with the right amount of backing make their intentions known of establishing team in a large town or city with modern facilities. Goodbye some clubs in the M62 corridor. I firmly believe that's what some of these S/L chairmen have as their agenda.

I'm with your chairman 100% on this one. It sounds like a big power grab to me. I'm also quite sure my club won't be around to witness the future of the game. I only hope my club wasn't one of the club's who sided with superleague. I fear the demise of lower league competition in our game. 

I feel that whatever the circumstances we should continue to support our clubs. Only by receiving continued finance can they survive. If we walk away we are helping the people who want us out of the way  in their scheme. If we continue to support and doing the best for our clubs then we can help adapt to the circumstances that arrive choose what they are.   New backers, a breakaway,  new set up from the present circumstances etc. To continue supporting your club is better than it going out of existence. 

There is nothing fair in sport, however some of the oldest clubs have won every competition/cup available to them ie Hunslet, Swinton to name just two, and it stinks that Lenagan and his cohorts in S/L have, in my opinion , an agenda to do away with these famous old clubs , and Fev as well, although I know we are not as old as some.  

The new Sky contract will bring interesting times. It wont affect me too much as I am in my twilight years, but I fear for the younger supporters who have been watching Fev since nippers.

25 minutes ago, haskey said:

There is nothing fair in sport, however some of the oldest clubs have won every competition/cup available to them ie Hunslet, Swinton to name just two, and it stinks that Lenagan and his cohorts in S/L have, in my opinion , an agenda to do away with these famous old clubs , and Fev as well, although I know we are not as old as some.  

The new Sky contract will bring interesting times. It wont affect me too much as I am in my twilight years, but I fear for the younger supporters who have been watching Fev since nippers.

I can understand Lenaghan and his cohorts, but I can't understand the Chairmen of those clubs making up the numbers in SL. The Eights and the MPG were a subtle way of giving the bottom club a second chance to avoid relegation. Now that safety net has been removed, every year one of them will be evicted from their virtually assured tenancy and will find it much harder to get back in with the increasing number of overseas clubs making a challenge. By the time they've finished there will be six or less heartland clubs and the rest will be overseas plus London, who will finally get bigger crowds once the competition has an international appeal. I just hope that the other clubs will survive to come back to the fold to make a strong and healthy Championship.

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

I can understand Lenaghan and his cohorts, but I can't understand the Chairmen of those clubs making up the numbers in SL. The Eights and the MPG were a subtle way of giving the bottom club a second chance to avoid relegation. Now that safety net has been removed, every year one of them will be evicted from their virtually assured tenancy and will find it much harder to get back in with the increasing number of overseas clubs making a challenge. By the time they've finished there will be six or less heartland clubs and the rest will be overseas plus London, who will finally get bigger crowds once the competition has an international appeal. I just hope that the other clubs will survive to come back to the fold to make a strong and healthy Championship.

That's a great scenario Steve. Towns like Wigan StHelens and Warrington will find their level in the lower leagues alongside the likes of Fev Castleford Batley and Dewsbury etc. While the big city clubs like New York Leeds London and Toronto Wakefield? and Bradford etc will be reaping the rewards in the higher leagues

Rugby League will never flourish while short sited, selfish Chairmen have so much influence on the game. No consideration for Lower League Clubs or the game as a whole. The lack of interest by the National Media and potential Sponsors show what the game is thought of. Too much "Up yours we are alright Jack atitude"

It would appear that voting in your own self interest is still alive and well in RL with Rochdale basically saying that they voted for a second chance of avoiding relegation and Mr Carter tweeting earlier this week that he was voting for what was best for his club (no mention of the game), although in a few years time I think that he'll find that he was greatly mistaken.

21 hours ago, haskey said:

Haskey, Ive zoomed in to your profile photo and to me it looks like a Cas shirt with a Grand Final losers medal around its collar.Is that correct or is it something else .??

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It would appear that voting in your own self interest is still alive and well in RL with Rochdale basically saying that they voted for a second chance of avoiding relegation and Mr Carter tweeting earlier this week that he was voting for what was best for his club (no mention of the game), although in a few years time I think that he'll find that he was greatly mistaken.

Totally with you, short term view, I hope they go down next year and then out of business 

Not so Blue Pike, This is the medal my grandson won playing for Castleford Academy at Wembley a few years ago and IS not a Cas shirt at all but a Cas academy shirt.It was the year Cas got well beaten by Leeds and I was there as a neutral supporter for the main event.

I have supported Rovers since 1959 even though I live in Cas. So before  you spout get your facts right.

10 hours ago, haskey said:

Not so Blue Pike, This is the medal my grandson won playing for Castleford Academy at Wembley a few years ago and IS not a Cas shirt at all but a Cas academy shirt.It was the year Cas got well beaten by Leeds and I was there as a neutral supporter for the main event.

I have supported Rovers since 1959 even though I live in Cas. So before  you spout get your facts right.

like I said regardless of the other stuff its a Cas shirt on a Fev forum isn’t it.

You are entitled to your opinion , but I say again it is a Castleford Academy shirt with the RFL Logo in the centre of the shirt and has NOTHIng to do with Cas

Aye we are but we are so near to C@$ that sometimes we can or have to be involved with them occasionally. My Son played for C@$ and District and had to wear yellow and he played for Panthers for a while but it didn't bother me,, we are Fev supporters and that won't ever change. 

Archived