Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

NZ Test Series - ticket sales

Going back to a Manchester, Leeds and London format would be going back to some of our most successful recent series. It is a form that was working.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

That would be great. 1st test Wembley, 2nd test Old Trafford, 3rd test Elland Road.

1990 and 1994 all over again - let's hope for a better outcome. I'm still haunted by being so close in that 2nd test in 1990 (and I was only bloody ten)

• Like 1

We should be arranging and publicising a mid season test against the Kiwis for 2019. It could be played during the State of Origin. Agree a venue and advertise the hell out of it.

6 minutes ago, Mark S said:

We should be arranging and publicising a mid season test against the Kiwis for 2019. It could be played during the State of Origin. Agree a venue and advertise the hell out of it.

They're playing Tonga in NZ

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

32 minutes ago, philipw said:

I'm still haunted by being so close in that 2nd test in 1990 (and I was only bloody ten)

I was 13 and I've never recovered.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 minutes ago, Mark S said:

I think we should look for different games. We are really milking this NZ match up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

They're playing Tonga in NZ

Could we make it a 3 way tournament. Surely SL teams could live without a couple of players for a week. 

Just now, Mark S said:

Could we make it a 3 way tournament. Surely SL teams could live without a couple of players for a week. 

There is only a 1wk international break.  3 teams takes 3 weeks. Also SL haven’t even scheduled an international break of any size.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 minute ago, Mark S said:

SL teams can, but the NRL will never allow it. They have earthquakes in NZ. And dangerous alpine parrots that play tricks on people.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

3 Test Series's should always be played in Lancs, Yorks and London. Etihad, Elland Road and Olympic St should probably be first choice, with a bit of variation (Anfield, St James, Wembley etc.).

Internationals need to be events, let's now move on from regular SL grounds for good.

For matches against Australia and New Zealand, I completely agree. I think maybe while France are still developing, and if we ever play PNG or Tonga in England, then a SL ground would be fine.

I like that list of stadiums, though, and because I'm hopeful that Great Britain will return permanently, I'll also throw the Principality Stadium into the "variation" pot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Going back to a Manchester, Leeds and London format would be going back to some of our most successful recent series. It is a form that was working.

It is certainly the most logical and gives the best spread of fixtures.

• Like 1

I would rotate between:

Manchester, Leeds, London

Leeds, Bristol, London

Manchester, Newcastle, London

Leeds, Coventry, London

Keeping one key North and South location with one 'expansion' City thrown in.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

For matches against Australia and New Zealand, I completely agree. I think maybe while France are still developing, and if we ever play PNG or Tonga in England, then a SL ground would be fine.

I like that list of stadiums, though, and because I'm hopeful that Great Britain will return permanently, I'll also throw the Principality Stadium into the "variation" pot.

i disagree with that.

We have a strange obsession in the game with stadium size, more than crowd size really. Like people will complain about the anfield crowd size because 26k looked poor in a 55k stadium. But that wasnt the reason why it was bad, it was bad because we can do much better. We did do a week later. The game at the KC was far far worse yet received less opprobrium.

Similarly many complained 50k at Wembley was bad because there were 40k spare seats. That was nonsense. It was bad because it was a huge drop in attendance. 50k is a bad attendance for a CC final. If it had been at St James Park it would still be bad.

The crowds follow the games lead. When we go to big stadiums in big cities we get big crowds. Not the biggest and we still need to grow them, but they are big, when we got to Leeds or Manchester or London we go 30k+. When we go to medium sized cities we get medium sized crowds. We go to Wigan or Hull or Hudds we aim for 20k. We go to small areas we get small crowds. We go to leigh we get less than 10k\

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Yes, I should have clarified that. Agreed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think we should look for different games. We are really milking this NZ match up!

We are, and I think that should be taken into account when criticising this series' attendances.

Whilst I don't believe everything was good by any means in how it was promoted, it's worth remembering that the attendances we have been getting in recent years for the Kiwis, including yesterday, are historically excellent. The direction of travel is concerning series to series but the absolute figures stack up very well within the context of the sport.

• Like 1

id be interested to see what we would get if we took a France or Tonga game to elland road. Even if we got 20-25k surely that is better than 7k at Leigh or even 15k at Headingley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

id be interested to see what we would get if we took a France or Tonga game to elland road. Even if we got 20-25k surely that is better than 7k at Leigh or even 15k at Headingley. 

I just don't think you'd get that sort of attendance though. People aren't stupid - they aren't going because it's Elland Road, they turn up because the game is attractive and Leeds is surrounded by lots of Rugby League fans who know the difference between France and New Zealand. Headingley would be a much better option all round.

• Like 1

Yesterday felt like an ‘event’. I took 2 non rugby girls (10 and 15 years old), don’t think they understood the rugby, but loved the build up, the remembrance ceremony, the anthems, Haka, fireworks, free flags, dust ups, drum and Mexican wave. Went back home saying they loved it. If they had come to Hull (as I did) there is no way I would have got them to another match 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

I just don't think you'd get that sort of attendance though. People aren't stupid - they aren't going because it's Elland Road, they turn up because the game is attractive and Leeds is surrounded by lots of Rugby League fans who know the difference between France and New Zealand. Headingley would be a much better option all round.

But they do turn up depending on how a game is presented though. Its not just because it is at Elland Road but because it is presented as an important match.

If we held it at Headingley people wouldnt turn up and would be proof that even headingley was too much. We are constantly starting from a point of how many tickets we didnt sell and not how many we did.

I have no doubt we would sell more tickets to the game at Elland Road than we would at Headingley, just as we would sell more at headingley than we would at Cas or Leigh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I like these games. England v france at headingley 2005 guess the crowd - ps clue is its less than 3000, substantially less

11 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I like these games. England v france at headingley 2005 guess the crowd - ps clue is its less than 3000, substantially less

That would be useful information, except I'm pretty sure a lot of fans were watching Great Britain in the tri-nations that year. About as much use as us comparing the 05 Federation shield version of Tonga to the one that beat NZ

42 minutes ago, thehullram said:

Yesterday felt like an ‘event’. I took 2 non rugby girls (10 and 15 years old), don’t think they understood the rugby, but loved the build up, the remembrance ceremony, the anthems, Haka, fireworks, free flags, dust ups, drum and Mexican wave. Went back home saying they loved it. If they had come to Hull (as I did) there is no way I would have got them to another match 

To be fair, when you look at England/GB's record when the crowd is big, pumped up and enthusiastic, you can almost see why they try to make the games as low-key as possible.

• Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'm guessing that New Zealand aren't playing France before they head home then?

I had Saturday 17th November marked down as a possible date for a game - can't remember where I read it - but I guess that never materialised.

Just had a look on NZRL website and there's nothing about a Kiwis game before Tonga next June.

Shame really, because France need to play these sorts of matches, if they're ever going to develop on and off the field.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I think it would depend on a variety of factors. For example, whether it was a one-off game, or part of a structured competition. Ticket prices and promotion are obviously relevant too. The make up of the teams - such as whether France and Tonga were at full strength - is also important.

We need to remember that people are far more easily able to access information nowadays than ever before. Plus there are a lot more alternative things to watch than there used to be. I know that, as someone who likes a wide variety of sports, I have to organise my time and prioritise the things that I really want to see. I'm sure plenty of other people are doing likewise.

I will also do a bit of research in advance to find out information about the sorts of things I mentioned above - I'll check out likely team lineups, find out more about the tournament (if it is one). If I don't think that what is on offer is worth my time, I simply won't bother with it.

It is a fiercely competitive market out there nowadays. Diehard fans of any sport, will always tend to watch, because they're deeply involved in the game. But if you're trying to compete for the attention of the casual fans, you need things that are pretty special. Otherwise people just won't bother to tune in.

Versus France we have seen our crowds range from 5k to 20k. And those fluctuations had nothing to do with the standard of game. It has been to do with the status and organisation of the games.

Other sports fans are not stupid and they go to support their national team in expected on sided games. 

We seem embarrassed and tuck games away on a weds in Leigh.

• Like 2