Yorkshire cup

19 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

We are not full time.

Not fully, no but we are, I think, now largely full time.

There were plenty of regular first teamers missing from both sides to be fair, so it was a good contest imo. I was pleased with how well our young pack played early in the game. With such a number of the 'regular' first team still to bring in, the performance was exceptional and as the result of friendlies (do we EVER have "friendlies" against Fax?) not meaning a jot the way we played is all that really matters. I'm pretty sure John Kear would have been beaming with delight at the end.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

We are not full time.

How many are FT? Bulls fans comments over the off season seem to suggest more than a couple and possibly most the squad.  Certainly the likes of Halifax, Featherstone, Batley, Sheffield,  Barrow are not like this. 

4 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

How many are FT? Bulls fans comments over the off season seem to suggest more than a couple and possibly most the squad.  Certainly the likes of Halifax, Featherstone, Batley, Sheffield,  Barrow are not like this. 

The clubs own figures are

• 22 full-time players
  • 14 part-time players
  • 27 Academy players

http://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk/article/52120/andrew-chalmers-season-ticket-day-has-arrived-whos-got-what-squad-numbers

Yes and No. They had obviously the likes of Butler, Larroyer, QLT, Kavanagh playing some good minutes but had all the normal Leaders/organizers in Grix, Grady, Murrell and Johnson out. Missing that influence severely weakened Fax. For whatever reason nobody stepped up to Fill that void. Its one of a number of areas the Halifax Coaching team have Highlight they need more work on. Which is the point of Pre Season games for players and coaches to Highlight problem areas rather than playing well and winning which most fans want.

Bradford deserved the win and were far the better team. I dont think Halifax really tested Bradford at all yesterday. Did Bradford get much out of it,where they have been shown to have weaknesses and can improve things before next week in these areas? I wonder which coaching team got most out of this game?

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Yes and No. They had obviously the likes of Butler, Larroyer, QLT, Kavanagh playing some good minutes but had all the normal Leaders/organizers in Grix, Grady, Murrell and Johnson out. Missing that influence severely weakened Fax. For whatever reason nobody stepped up to Fill that void. Its one of a number of areas the Halifax Coaching team have Highlight they need more work on. Which is the point of Pre Season games for players and coaches to Highlight problem areas rather than playing well and winning which most fans want.

Bradford deserved the win and were far the better team. I dont think Halifax really tested Bradford at all yesterday. Did Bradford get much out of it,where they have been shown to have weaknesses and can improve things before next week in these areas? I wonder which coaching team got most out of this game?

It's the things with friendlies that's why I tend not to go to them, It's hard to judge. For me it's one of the most exciting squads in a certain sense for 10 years. Youth coming through almost en mass, Experienced campaigners like Webster and Flanagan directing things, a future captain in minicheddars given a 3 year contract and Kear still has two years to run.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

12 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

It's the things with friendlies that's why I tend not to go to them, It's hard to judge. For me it's one of the most exciting squads in a certain sense for 10 years. Youth coming through almost en mass, Experienced campaigners like Webster and Flanagan directing things, a future captain in minicheddars given a 3 year contract and Kear still has two years to run.

Bradford have a good number of youngsters coming through who will play SL level at some point in future. The question is if Bradford can keep hold of them. I think Bradford need Kear as long as possible to give them much chance of being in SL in the next 5 years and debveloping and then keeping hold of these kids. The longer that Bradford stay in the Championship the harder it is to keep hold of these great kids coming through. Thats the problem for many Championship teams who have had great players, but simply cant offer what SL Clubs can.

The major consideration for being in SL is money and the simple truth is we don't really have any. At least, not the sort which can buy a super league team a la carte, like Toronto, say. There is, hopefully, a continuing decent support base but that will only take a club so far these days.

The Bulls do have a good few youngsters coming through the ranks but, as said, it's very, very difficult to hang on to them and to be fair, I'd like to see the kids go as far as they can in the game and if that means they only actually play a few games for us, well that's just the way it is. I only get upset about it when such as Jake Trueman leaves our junior set up and then the SL club and media talks about him as though he came through THEIR academy....

For the record, in the Bulls V Fax game I thought Fax actually looked the better side early on and it took a while (and the odd sin-binning) for the Bulls to get more into the game. That said, once they got into their stride I thought they became stronger as the game progressed. Looking forward to the 'proper' games.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

First big game of the season.

Yes. I am really pleased that Batley have made the final. It would be great to win it.

We did well to win today after trailing 18-0. Just got a try before half time which gave confidence playing down the slope second half. 

3 hours ago, Colin James said:

Defeat will do York a world of good I think. It's a reminder that the Championship won't be as easy as some of their fans seem to think.

Not me. 3rd from bottom would do for me

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived